Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrical Mechanic A Grade Licence in WA.

Electrical Mechanic A Grade Licence in WA.

Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

andy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to all
Thumbs up Electrical Mechanic A Grade Licence in WA.

Here's my story. Hope it helps those looking to move to WA. Would also like to thank everyone on here as the information has been so useful and i am sure it has helped on my quest.

October 2005 We sent off my first TRA application. This was knocked back due to not enough info. I had been working for my current employer for 10+ years. Previous ones were no longer in existence.

January 2006 We sent off my second TRA application. Thankfully this was accepted. Only difference to the first was I managed to trace some ex-colleges who did statements from previous employees.

May 2006 We sent off our visa application.

November 2006 Our medicals were requested.

December 2006 Visa’s were granted. Just in time for xmas.

January 2007 We sent of ARTC application and booked flights for end of February.

February 2007 ARTC application granted for electrical mechanic.

February 2007 Went to see Energy Safety to book the exams needed to gain licence. There was around an 8 week wait to take the short practical after which I would need to book for the theory.

April 2007 Took practical. Moor about this later.

May 2007 Took theory. This was multiple choice with 1.5hrs to complete 25 questions. As they have several papers I won't go in to detail on this. Just make sure you study, study and study again. I gave them 2.5 weeks before phoning for the results as I was quietly confident on this one.

June 2007 went to the Energy Safety office to pick up my shiny “A” grade Electrical workers licence.

I could have been out of work for about 4 months spending all our savings on living the high life. Unfortunately an agency I had been in touch with prior to coming over got in touch with a job offer mid March and I started working for them beginning of April, so no luck there then. I don’t know if you can pre book the course before you come out but it may be worth a try, although I have also heard a rumour that they are supposed to be starting them in the UK. Maybe someone else knows about this? Wendy perhaps?
Now back to the exams.

Short Practical.
For this you are given 4hrs to complete as many jobs from the list as you can, with 4 of the jobs being compulsory. I believe that they have several different test papers so you could be given a different one. Mine had 8 jobs on it and superman would have had trouble get all these completed. Although the pass mark is only 60% you are hard pushed to achieve this in the time available. I have met someone who managed over 70% but was still failed due to not having completed the compulsory jobs. He had to retake part of the test at a further cost to himself. I only managed to complete the four compulsory jobs in the time allocated. The examiner explained that you would need to score practically 100% on all four to pass and I came away quite convinced that I had failed. A week later I phoned for the results and received the surprising news that I had just managed to scrape a pass by scoring 100% on three of them and not to far off on the other one. It took them a further two weeks to send out the letter. Am I just stupid or would it not make more sense to have a higher pass mark and a more realistic amount of time to complete the jobs?

Here’s a brief description on the test

1) Test two irons.

2) Test a simulated domestic installation test board complete.

3) Wire a distribution board and industrial style socket out let.

4) Wire a consumer unit and two way intermediate lighting and socket.

5) Test a circuit for voltage drop and if unacceptable recommend suitable cable size.

6) Wire a direct online motor with two stop start stations. (plug and pin board)

7) Wire a star delta motor and stop start station. (plug and pin board)

8) Do internal wiring on two foot twin fluorescent fitting. (plug and pin board)

Once again many thanks to all.

Andy
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

denboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical Mechanic A Grade Licence in WA.

well done on the license mate and thanks for passing on the info for the exam.
im heading out to perth in a couple of weeks, ive got the artc as elec mechanic, now the fun of licensing starts!
one question mate was it hard to get a job without being fully licensed. i dont think i can afford to be out of work for 4 months,
oh well my missus has a job straight away so ile live of her for once ! ha hah !
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

andy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to all

The answer is yes and no. I have spoken to some that have found it really difficult, even given up and become car sales men, but also others who have had no problem. Some industrial employers are desperate because everyone want the big bucks in mining. If i were you i would try ringing energy safety on (+61 89422 5282) to see if they will let you book the exams before you get here. When I was there the other day I was told that quite a few electricians had arrived recently and this can only make the wait longer.
Hope all goes well.

Andy
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

theboshoffs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andy w
Here's my story. Hope it helps those looking to move to WA. Would also like to thank everyone on here as the information has been so useful and i am sure it has helped on my quest.

October 2005 We sent off my first TRA application. This was knocked back due to not enough info. I had been working for my current employer for 10+ years. Previous ones were no longer in existence.

January 2006 We sent off my second TRA application. Thankfully this was accepted. Only difference to the first was I managed to trace some ex-colleges who did statements from previous employees.

January 2007 We sent of ARTC application and booked flights for end of February.

February 2007 Went to see Energy Safety to book the exams needed to gain licence. There was around an 8 week wait to take the short practical after which I would need to book for the theory.

May 2007 Took theory. This was multiple choice with 1.5hrs to complete 25 questions. As they have several papers I won't go in to detail on this. Just make sure you study, study and study again. I gave them 2.5 weeks before phoning for the results as I was quietly confident on this one.

June 2007 went to the Energy Safety office to pick up my shiny “A” grade Electrical workers licence.

I could have been out of work for about 4 months spending all our savings on living the high life. Unfortunately an agency I had been in touch with prior to coming over got in touch with a job offer mid March and I started working for them beginning of April, so no luck there then. I don’t know if you can pre book the course before you come out but it may be worth a try, although I have also heard a rumour that they are supposed to be starting them in the UK. Maybe someone else knows about this? Wendy perhaps?
Now back to the exams.

Short Practical.
For this you are given 4hrs to complete as many jobs from the list as you can, with 4 of the jobs being compulsory. I believe that they have several different test papers so you could be given a different one. Mine had 8 jobs on it and superman would have had trouble get all these completed. Although the pass mark is only 60% you are hard pushed to achieve this in the time available. I have met someone who managed over 70% but was still failed due to not having completed the compulsory jobs. He had to retake part of the test at a further cost to himself. I only managed to complete the four compulsory jobs in the time allocated. The examiner explained that you would need to score practically 100% on all four to pass and I came away quite convinced that I had failed. A week later I phoned for the results and received the surprising news that I had just managed to scrape a pass by scoring 100% on three of them and not to far off on the other one. It took them a further two weeks to send out the letter. Am I just stupid or would it not make more sense to have a higher pass mark and a more realistic amount of time to complete the jobs?

1) Test two irons.

5) Test a circuit for voltage drop and if unacceptable recommend suitable cable size.

6) Wire a direct online motor with two stop start stations. (plug and pin board)

8) Do internal wiring on two foot twin fluorescent fitting. (plug and pin board)

Andy
Hi there mate..Glad u got through in the end it musta been a real relief.. Best of luck..
I am also looking to going to WA with my wife,will be a while still and hopefulle by then wel be able to book all the neccesary stuff on this side..
Did u struggle to find work once u got your license?.
Do they really pay up to 100.000 dollars a year for electricians on the mines,working fortnightly?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Hi
No trouble finding a job. If you look at seek.com.au you will see loads advertised on a daily basis. Mine work really does pay that well, if not better, but you've got to be prepared to work away from the family, as most are fly in fly out. Not my scene.

Andy
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:31 am
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Electrical Mechanic A Grade Licence in WA.

[QUOTE=andy w;4968908]Hi
No trouble finding a job. If you look at seek.com.au you will see loads advertised on a daily basis. Mine work really does pay that well, if not better, but you've got to be prepared to work away from the family, as most are fly in fly out. Not my scene.

Hi there mate thanks for the site will look at it..
How long did it take to get ur licence?
Do u need to do additional tests and certif to work on the mines,and how long do they take..
Thnks for the time...
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Sry just saw u started the thread...lol...disregard the q..thnks
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andy w

Now back to the exams.

Short Practical.

1) Test two irons.

Andy
Hi Andy,

We are moving over to Oz early September and wondered if you could advise us. My husband had a positive skills assessment from the TRA for general electrician and we now have the forms for the ARTC. What additional information do we need to provide from that which we supplied to the TRA? In addition to all the statutory declarations and references we sent to Canbera we have since found his log books and skill specification sheets from when he did his apprenticeship. In your opinion do you think this would be enough information to get a positive assessment from the ARTC. We also had the problem that some of the companies Steve had worked for had either been shut down or taken over so we had to provide detailed Stat. Decs to cover these periods of employment. Did you also do this or did the ARTC insist on references? When you were offered the job from the agency, in what capacity was this and did they pay you a decent rate? How long are you able to work for an agency before you have to get your licence. Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get as much info as we can before submitting the ARTC forms.

Many thanks.

Steve and Nat
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Hi Steve and Nat,
With regard your Arct send them everything you sent for the TRA but update your current details. As you have passed your TRA you should find you have already given enough info. I belive it is rare to be refused an ARCT at this point however i have read of someone who was declined when it came to the ARCT and if i were you i would include his log books and skill specification sheets from his apprenticeship. With regard stat decs I found it easier to get some old colleges to make a statement as i was still in touch with them. I had been here about a month when the agency got in touch, however you need to bare in mind that because of the licence issue's most electricians have trouble getting electrical work before obtaining it. Be prepared to be out of work for a while or perhaps working as a labourer. Some agency will take you on whilst on a provisional licence, this is not hard to obtain if you have your ARCT but you will be paid about $5 dollars less, you work on someone else's licence and they have to check your work. I belive you have 18 months to get your licence.

all the best with your future plans

Andy