Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:16 am
Account Closed

chris_at_forum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

hi Craigieburnsparky

I was wondering (and hoping of course) I you have passed your trade test?

Chris
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

ckirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wyldeone
Hi Guys I'm new to this forum and need some help/info in getting my Electrical License.

Cut a long story short -

I'm a fully qualified Gas Fitter & Electrician (C&G 2360 Parts 2 & 3). Worked mainly in the Industrial/Commercial for 10 - 11 years and spent 1 year doing domestic installs (consumer units etc). Me & my family have lived on the Gold Coast for the last 13 months (thats how long we been in Oz). I came over on my Gas Fitters ticket and have attempted to get my ARTC from TRA for my electrical license, but after 3 x Applications & $1000 i've got know where. Basically they refuse to give me an ARTC on the grounds that i dont meet there 7 years experience (they say i only got 5 years experience).

I'm looking into other ways i can get my license and this is were some help would save me pulling my hair out

As far as i can see i have 2 options.

1. NSW have there own Vocational Training Recognition (same as TRA), but they only require 4 years experience. This means i have to up root my family and more to NSW which i would like to avoid if all possible.

Has anyone gone down this route, if so any input would be greatly appreciated?

2. I've been told a few time to get my license through SA as this the easiest route. I've surfed the internet for all the info i can find and this is what i came up with.

Step 1. Do wiring reg course with Peer Veet by correspondence.
Step 2. Sit exam in Adelaide and get certificate.
Step 3. Goto to Office of Consumer & Business Affairs and apply for license in
person and i should get it in 2 weeks.
Step 4. Transfer license to QLD.

Again has anyone been down this route?
Also if this route is correct do you still need to get your Electrical Skill recognized before applying for a license?

If anyone can assist with my questions, through in any suggestions or simply point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciated.

Thanx guys

PS if anyone need help with TRA, i think i gained some in sight with my 3 failed applications
Hello

Forget about doing it in NSW as they will ask you to get a Craft Cert and as you are a fitter they will require the Craft Cert to say Electrical Mechanic but if you go to Tafe for prob. a year that will take care of that.
I am currently filling up the workbook for Peer and am doing the exam in two weeks. It seems as it is the easiest way to go.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:04 am
Just Joined

naths28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Well I'm UNSTRESSED now.

I decided to apply for Trades Recognition through the NSW's system, which is basically the same as the TRA. It took three weeks and only $150 and now i have a certificate to pursue my electrical licence.

All I have to do now is sit the wiring reg course and then I can apply for my licence in NSW, then just cross it over to QLD.

I would recommend this route to anyone was having trouble getting there electrical trade recognised. Technically you are suppose to be a resident of NSW but I guess because I live 10 minutes from the border they made an exception.

My advise about the TRA is if u can't prove you have 7 years experience then don't bother applying, they are unhelpful and i found that every time I spoke to someone I got a different answer.

Well i can finally stop being a wingeing pom.

Thanx Folks
Hi Wyldeone,,

Im going through the same process now as you have done,im a UK qualified electrician,and im applying the NSW VVT way.

I,m trying to find info for my visa agent,George Lombard(im on a 457 defacto visa,hopefully soon to be bridging visa then my own ENS visa or 457 visa), regarding the wiring regs course in NSW??

Do you have any info on the wiring regs course i would need to do to become a licenced please?
Or if anyone else has any info,i would really appreciate it..

Many thanks,

Nathan.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

naths28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris_at_forum
I called them, in NSW VTT can also assess the skills, but you have to have 1 year australian work experience. Do you have that?

AUS work experiences, as far as I understood, is not a preconditions that has to be met for an ARTC, because here TRA uses a trade test.
Am I right here?

They let me do the trade test and now they are asking for work experiences. Has there been a change recently?

Chris
Hi Chris,

1years Australian work experience?

Do you think 20 months electrical trade assistant in Australia would count?
Ive been living in Sydney since august 08.

Im a UK qualified electrician,and im in the process of applying for my trade recognition certificate in NSW,through the VVT.

Many thanks,

nathan.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:20 am
Just Joined

wyldeone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by naths28
Hi Wyldeone,,

Im going through the same process now as you have done,im a UK qualified electrician,and im applying the NSW VVT way.

I,m trying to find info for my visa agent,George Lombard(im on a 457 defacto visa,hopefully soon to be bridging visa then my own ENS visa or 457 visa), regarding the wiring regs course in NSW??

Do you have any info on the wiring regs course i would need to do to become a licenced please?
Or if anyone else has any info,i would really appreciate it..

Many thanks,

Nathan.
HI Nathan

I have spoken to NSW Fair Trading regards there process for obtaining a Licence. They changed the rules 7 - 8 months back, you can't simply just do the wiring reg course anymore.The new proceedure goes as follows (Pathway 1 as info from there Web Site)

1. Have your qualification assessed by VTT in NSW and obtain a CRAFT's Certificate.

2. Complete the Electrotechnology Electrician (Certificate III ) National Code UEE30807

This is now a National Recognised Course.

The good thing about NSW is that this can be done by distance learning and you can RPL your existing UK qualification. You only have attend college just to do any practicals they require or any exams.

http://www.oten.edu.au/oten/core/sho...&cofferid=8958 for more info

3. Once course is complete go back to VTT and obtain Certificate of Proficiency.

After that you can work legally but only under supervision. Once you have obtain at least 12 months experience doing electrical work have your employer sign you off and hey presto licence is yours.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 11:32 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

HI Nathan

I have spoken to NSW Fair Trading regards there process for obtaining a Licence. They changed the rules 7 - 8 months back, you can't simply just do the wiring reg course anymore.The new proceedure goes as follows (Pathway 1 as info from there Web Site)

1. Have your qualification assessed by VTT in NSW and obtain a CRAFT's Certificate.

2. Complete the Electrotechnology Electrician (Certificate III ) National Code UEE30807

This is now a National Recognised Course.

The good thing about NSW is that this can be done by distance learning and you can RPL your existing UK qualification. You only have attend college just to do any practicals they require or any exams.

http://www.oten.edu.au/oten/core/sho...&cofferid=8958 for more info

3. Once course is complete go back to VTT and obtain Certificate of Proficiency.

After that you can work legally but only under supervision. Once you have obtain at least 12 months experience doing electrical work have your employer sign you off and hey presto licence is yours.
if your in qld look into http://www.qet.edu.au/ and speak to chris
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

timpage74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve`o
Hi Steve, do you know does the SA route still work, if I get ARTC and do the wiring course? Can I get A grade license, or have they stopped that now.

Thanks Tim
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:33 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timpage74
Hi Steve, do you know does the SA route still work, if I get ARTC and do the wiring course? Can I get A grade license, or have they stopped that now.

Thanks Tim
to be honest i`m not sure its been quite awhile since i had any involvement with this route so perhaps best answered by some one whois just gone through licencing that way ( i dimly remeber something about 4 months log book etc )
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Steve i got all excited when i saw this link but justed ckecked there web site and you need the ARTC to get the training permit to do the course.

Because i can't get my ARTC the only route in QLD is to basiclly sign up as a Mature Apprentise and RPL my existing qualification. I'm in the process of going down this route to see how much they will transfer and length of study required.

The other problem is finding some to take me on as a Mature Apprentise and with the current state of things i can't see many opportunities ahead.

If anyone can help me out in this department or know any companies look for people would be much appreciated I don't really want to leave the Gold Coast but if i must then i will.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Steve i got all excited when i saw this link but justed ckecked there web site and you need the ARTC to get the training permit to do the course.

Because i can't get my ARTC the only route in QLD is to basiclly sign up as a Mature Apprentise and RPL my existing qualification. I'm in the process of going down this route to see how much they will transfer and length of study required.

The other problem is finding some to take me on as a Mature Apprentise and with the current state of things i can't see many opportunities ahead.

If anyone can help me out in this department or know any companies look for people would be much appreciated I don't really want to leave the Gold Coast but if i must then i will.
Hi there,
You can still do the course if you have an OSTR issued by VETASSESS.
If you email Chris Williamson at QET he is very helpful. He reckoned on a 3 month time frame to obtaining a full A grade, albeit , for some one who is the holder of an ARTC it may be a bit longer for an OSTR holder. This is also dependant on finding a job. Definitely email him as like I said he is very helpful and prompt with his replies. Regards Derren
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:46 pm
Worongary

why carnt you get an artc?
and for what its worth i`d still ring qet and speak to chris
he is a mine of info and what can and cannot be done licence wise
being ex licencing office and ex tafe lecturer
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:37 am
Just Joined

timpage74 is an unknown quantity at this point

to be honest i`m not sure its been quite awhile since i had any involvement with this route so perhaps best answered by some one whois just gone through licencing that way ( i dimly remeber something about 4 months log book etc )
thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

I'm doing exactly like you. I am mature apprentice (38 y) and I've been doing 12 months apprenticeships and RPL because I have only 5 years of experience in electrical trade. There isn't other way except this one for me because I've been living in Perth WA far far away from NSW. I spent more than 16 months exploring the best way for me and finally find out what I should do.

Sorry for grammar mistakes, I am Croatian and not 100% familiar with English.

Kind regards to all sparkies.

Deyan.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Well finally got some good news.

I've had my electrical Qualifications assessed by a TAFE in Brisbane, turns out i only need to do 10 - 11 weeks gap training (as full time) and can do this over 6 months part time under an Advanced Diploma course. YA

But, this is the hard part.

I need to get some experience before the TAFE will sign me off and the only way to do this is by getting signed up by a Company as a 4year Apprentice for a short time

SO

Calling all Sparkies on the Gold Coast or Brisbane.

I simply need 2 days a week payed (i know its low pay as a apprentice) work and i don't mind working weekends for free and to be signed up as a 4th Year Apprentice.

If you can assist or know of a company who can assist please let me know.

Thanx

Finger Crossed
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:16 am
Just Joined

mikey the pikey is an unknown quantity at this point

g'day steve,

i took your advice and have taken the peer route. have just finished the workbooks and am booked in to do the exam in a couple of weeks. reading back through the posts here, i've read that the exam is multiple choice. is this correct? do you know much about the exam format? as in how long it is and whether the time is tight to get all questions answered. i've heard that you can do the exam in he morning and still have time to get to fair trading to apply for a licence. sorry mate, exams stress me out, and i hate the thoughts of going to adelaide and failing!!!
any help is much appreciated.
cheers mate

mikey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.