Electrical License

Old May 3rd 2007, 9:05 am
Just Joined

LeeMotby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical License

Can anyone help, please. I am travelling to Sydney from the UK in a couple of months on a 457 visa with my spouse who is the primary applicant. I am an electrical maintenance engineer but can't seem to find info about the elecrical license requirements for maintenance and control engineers. Do I need a license for any type of electrical work (control systems and PLC's etc) or just installation work. Thanks:curse:
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice
Default Re: Electrical License

hiya type in electrical licence in the search box at the top should find some answers there

kelsey
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks Kelsey, but I am only getting info on installation sparks and nothing on maintenance / control engineers.
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeMotby
Thanks Kelsey, but I am only getting info on installation sparks and nothing on maintenance / control engineers.
I'll move you to the electricians forum Might have more luck there.....
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help, please. I am travelling to Sydney from the UK in a couple of months on a 457 visa with my spouse who is the primary applicant. I am an electrical maintenance engineer but can't seem to find info about the elecrical license requirements for maintenance and control engineers. Do I need a license for any type of electrical work (control systems and PLC's etc) or just installation work. Thanks:curse:

You will need to apply to the TRA for an ARTC (Australian Recognised Training Certificate). Details for that are here: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

See these link for info on which licence you will need (sorry, I'm in a different state so am not sure):
http://blis.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/l..._-_individual/

http://blis.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/l...lect_state=all

One thing I can tell you is that you will get more money if you have a full electrical licence rather than a restricted one (my hubby is working on PLC's )

Also look in the electricians forum as there is loads of info about licencing etc in there

EDIT: Oh I see you're here already
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks Wendy.
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy.

No problem, need any more help just post in here and one of us will pick it up
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

dondownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

the licence you require depends on what exactly you have been trained to do and have experience in doing in the uk. if you have completed a formal apprenticeship (or had 7 years experience without apprenticeship) and you have installed, maintained, tested and repaired electrical equipment you will be looking at gaining an artc as an electrical mechanic. Once you have been awarded the certificate you must gain 12 months of wiring experience in australia before aplplying for an qualified supervisors certificate - electrical work (You will require this certificate if you want to supervise or carry out electrical wiring work without supervision as an employee or as a member of a partnership or director of a company holding a Contractor Licence.

if your work and training has revolved around control systems and plc "maintenance", or just maintenance in general you may find that you are awarded an artc as an electrical fitter. an electrical 'fitter' is not eligible for a qualified electrical supervisors certificate unless you are upgraded to a mechanic after having your skills matched and undertaking any subsequant additional training.

An electrical fitter can however gain the restricted licence "Contractor Licence or Qualified Supervisor Certificate - Restricted Electrical Licensing" as per wendy's bottom link.

i am currently waiting for my artc to be assessed and i to will be going for the NSW licence, so i know bits and bobs if you need anything else....

good luck

DON