Electrical grades

Old May 31st 2008, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

t_gfield79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical grades

I've been working as an electrical engineer for 12 yrs... originally passed under the 16th edition and now done my 17th upgrade with test and inspection, in combination with this i also have my compex ticket too.

can anyone tell me how i find out what my equivilent grade would be in australia/ nz.
Troy
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical grades

Troy, the C&Guilds will only get you the TRA mate thats it. if you come to Australia you must do exams again for the A class license its as simple as that.

you can do a short evening course at most Tafe's (college here) especially in Melbourne the course duration is 12 weeks x 1 night per week thas brings you up to the current Australian standards of whats involved in working here.
Then you sit the exams ( a nightmare) but its expensive to say the least.
1st you do the short course about $800.00 dollars then you do all your exams on different days they should cost about $1,000. dollars then after passing them if you intend to work for your self you must do a electrical contractors course again 12 weeks 1 night per week another $800.00 dollars then you must pay for the A class license thats about $290.00 for 3 years then pay $280.00 contractors license thats $ 275 per year then you must have insurance its normal for $5,000,000 (5 million dollar insurance) thats will set you back about $600.00 dollars per year. so all up mate its expensive thats why decent sparkies charge more just like the plumbers have to so you cover your over heads.

The evening course is well worth doing they show all the different things whats done in the industry well worth it.

Depending on the state you reside in determines the type of exam you do, in Melbourne it can be a nightmare the people doing most exams seem to have had the monopoly for the past 40 years or so and they was a law unto them self, its changes slightly now but still very hard to pass you need 75% pass in Melbourne & thats hard to get, i can only recommend you do the short course i have not heard of one person passing these exams without doing the course.

its a real mixed bag of practical & theory also on the day you get NO assistance from the examiner at all they put you right on the spot from the word go, even when your doing a task they stop you & tell you to start another task & when you say let me finish this 1st they just say NO do this now, if you don't its good by and book in again for the exams costing you more money.???? now you may start to get the drift of how it works.

If you don't get the A class license 99% of company's wont employ you seeming they are responsible for your work its illegal to let you work alone in Australia without the A class license.

I know you may be thinking you have lots of experience & qualifications most UK sparkies would shit on the Aussie spark for quality of work.

I have all C & Guilds + 16 edition (useless here) o also had a HND in electrical/ electronics/robotics/ CPU design not worth a toss here Mate, also have a Degree in Maths now not worth sod all.

I hope im not putting you of but im sure you would want as much feed back as possible, if you need assistance from the QLD area ask Stev'O on here or for Adelaide ask Wendy they are both switched on & also very helpful they are bloody great to give lots of info.

if we can be of any further assistance keep in touch.

ps

the best place to get the A class license is South Australia it seems its a lot better there different approach then all you need to do is pay for the transfer of the license to the state your going to live in but Wendy can put you right on thats score.

don't forget mate the UK sparks shit over this lot here, and keep your head up you will get there in the end just like the rest of us have done.

Troy may i suggest when you apply for the TRA make sure you get the Mechanics license there are only two TRA's the mechanic & Fitter the fitters may limit you to panel wiring & plc work only again depending what state your in. however the Mechanic's license covers you for the lot working on 1 x phase or 3 phase gear so make sure you know what you want. its very important you get the right grading or you knackered from the work go

Last edited by The_Pom_From_Aus; Jun 1st 2008 at 1:56 am.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by t_gfield79
I've been working as an electrical engineer for 12 yrs... originally passed under the 16th edition and now done my 17th upgrade with test and inspection, in combination with this i also have my compex ticket too.

can anyone tell me how i find out what my equivilent grade would be in australia/ nz.
Troy
I'll move this into the Electrical forum, might get more help there
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by t_gfield79

Troy

You need to start with a skills assessment, look on www.vetassess.com.au Look for the 'trades test' link.

Also take a look at the various visa possibilities on www.immi.gov.au