Electrical Fitter/Mechanic??

Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

ericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really nice
Default Electrical Fitter/Mechanic??

Hi there,
Can anyone please advise me on the following.
We have been assigned a case officer recently, now i have to start looking at a ARTC and i am confused about what to apply for. Have been trained and working in Industrial maintenance and installation. But also domestic installations. My question is what can or should i apply for Fitter or Mechanic!! I would like to work in a fmcg environment in AUS.
Also could i apply for both Fitter and Mechanic?
We plan to move to Adelaide...
Your help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:28 am
yorkshire born & bred

warren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to all
Default Re: Electrical Fitter/Mechanic??

Mechanic!! Mechanic!! Mechanic!! all the way, unless you want a restricted fitters licence?? and you'll struggle to get a job.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

ericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really nice

Originally Posted by warren thomas
Mechanic!! Mechanic!! Mechanic!! all the way, unless you want a restricted fitters licence?? and you'll struggle to get a job.
Hi there Warren, thanks for your reply!
Will i be able to get an industrial maintenance job with a "Mechanic" ARTC??

Greetings
Erick
Old Sep 9th 2010, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

Living in Adelaide it doesn't matter, a fitter or mech will get you a workers permit which will cover any type of electrical work, however a word of caution. you will struggle if you get a fitter cert and attempt to convert it in another state, so as the previous thread said, mechanic, mechanic mechanic
You should base your application on installation rather than maintenance, just read some of Steveo's thread, these explain what is required from your application,

regards

kevin
Old Sep 9th 2010, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin S
Hello All,

Living in Adelaide it doesn't matter, a fitter or mech will get you a workers permit which will cover any type of electrical work, however a word of caution. you will struggle if you get a fitter cert and attempt to convert it in another state, so as the previous thread said, mechanic, mechanic mechanic
You should base your application on installation rather than maintenance, just read some of Steveo's thread, these explain what is required from your application,

regards

kevin
Kevin great! thank you
As we are headed for Adelaide it sounds good. Just one more question. Let's say i apply for Mechanic and they feel i don't "qualify" for it, will they automatically grant me a Fitter ARTC or will i have to re apply for fitter!?

Erick
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:13 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ericks
Kevin great! thank you
As we are headed for Adelaide it sounds good. Just one more question. Let's say i apply for Mechanic and they feel i don't "qualify" for it, will they automatically grant me a Fitter ARTC or will i have to re apply for fitter!?

Erick
if they think youve not supplied enough info for mech they will issue fitters
or they may ask for a telephone interview or practical exam ( bit of a bloody minefield )
just make sure that you base your experiance etc around there own check list

ie

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?
You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the same range of work at the same level of skill as a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and/or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have sufficient theoretical or underpinning knowledge of the trade

taken from the artc website

regards steve

Last edited by steve`o; Sep 9th 2010 at 7:16 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Steve, this is exactly the info i needed. I also went through your other posts and found them valuable!! Thanks again for taking the time to help us...
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:10 am
yorkshire born & bred

warren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to all

hi mate,

when you fill out your paper work, concentrate on the installation job you've done, rather than maintenance jobs and you should be OK,
good luck
Warren
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by warren thomas
hi mate,

when you fill out your paper work, concentrate on the installation job you've done, rather than maintenance jobs and you should be OK,
good luck
Warren
Thanks Warren, i'll do that..
Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Greetings,
May i ask, how long did u guys wait for your ARTC result? They say most applications are finalised within 30 days...

Just wondering as my application is in, close to 30 days now!

Thanks
Erick