Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

electrical fitter doing peer course?

electrical fitter doing peer course?

Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice
Default electrical fitter doing peer course?

can someone shed a little light on this please?
i have sent off for ARTC as an electrical fitter.
if i was to go via peer in SA for wiring regs course would i still be entitled to apply for a full electrical workers license? or would it be a restricted license? i am trying to work towards getting electrical license for WA through mutual recognition.

cheers

lee.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all
Default Re: electrical fitter doing peer course?

Hello Lee,

Looks like me and you are in the same boat, i have gone through the threads and found this link below, kindly placed by wendy, it would seem that the way to go for fitters is the SA route via peer.

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf

Regards

Kevin
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

hi kevin.
im coming round to the idea of going through peer to be honest. was just unsure if i was assessed as electrical fitter and then did peer course would i get license. that link says that it is ok so mind is pretty much made up. i sent an email to the SA licensing authority yesterday so i will let you know if they say any different. you a maintenance electrician too? which state you heading to eventually?
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello Lee,

i have written Peer and as yet no answer, i would be eager to know what the SA board says. i already live in Brisbane and didn't need to have my Quals assessed to get here, thanks to the good lady. I spent 22 years in the Navy as a weapons engineering mechanic, messing about with guided missile systems,so yeh, maintenance sparks is pretty close.

Regards

Kevin
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

I found telephoneing Peers better than writing to them and they were really helpful.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

will give them a bell this week and post their answer.

cheers everyone.

lee.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

got a response from SA licensing regulator (OCBA).
they say (as in link above by kevin) the following:

"If you are recognised as an Electrical Mechanic, Electrical Fitter or an Electrician, and you complete the AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules Course & Exam, you would qualify for the same electrical workers registration, being 'can complete any electrical work'."

have spoken to Peer this morning and got myself enroled on the course. Found them really helpful. hope to get the workbook done and then sit exam after their christmas break. i paid over the phone with my credit card and they even fill in your enrolment form for you.

hope this is of some help kevin.

cheers everyone.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Hello Lee.
Nice one,, thanks for that, i won't be far behind you, i spoke with ARTC this morning, having not received anything in the post when they stated that it had been sent, i asked what i had been awarded and was informed 'Fitter"

Regards

Kevin
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by leeob77
got a response from SA licensing regulator (OCBA).
they say (as in link above by kevin) the following:

"If you are recognised as an Electrical Mechanic, Electrical Fitter or an Electrician, and you complete the AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules Course & Exam, you would qualify for the same electrical workers registration, being 'can complete any electrical work'."

have spoken to Peer this morning and got myself enroled on the course. Found them really helpful. hope to get the workbook done and then sit exam after their christmas break. i paid over the phone with my credit card and they even fill in your enrolment form for you.

hope this is of some help kevin.

cheers everyone.
Well done, let us know if you need any help