Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electician Supervisor - Please help

Electician Supervisor - Please help

Old May 24th 2011, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

elainew2583 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Electician Supervisor - Please help

Hi, this is my first post and would really appreciate any advice.

I currently work in the NHS as an Assistant Maintenance Manager, which i have been doing for nearlly 2 years. Before this i was a maintenance electrician for 7 years within the NHS and prior to that i was a maintenance electrician for 5 years in a factory, I also worked for an inspection and testing company briefly for just a year.

My qualifiacations are NVQ 3 and City & guilds 236 part 1 and 2, 16th edition and HNC in Electrical engineering.

My main question is basically what Skilled Visa would apply for?

My main experience is electrical but i have been off the tools now for 2 years. I currently manage all trades but i dont think i would be experienced enough to apply for a maintenance manangers job in Aus. Problem is because i havent been on the tools for 2 years could i still apply for a electricians visa and if so which one?

Im in two minds now to actually look for a job in uk as an electrician to help me get in Australlia.

thanks again for reading and keep the good work on this forum, it helps everybody who is curious about moving.

p.s If anybody is looking for a maintenance spark in the health sector i would fly out tomorrow
Old May 26th 2011, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

johnny.w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electician Supervisor - Please help

Hello mate
I think it would be a skilled 176 as general electrician. To get this you will have to be assesed by vettasses. you send them your work history and quals. then you sit a trade test. There is info on this on other threads about it.
Then you have to get state sponsorship from one of the them that actually wants sparks. It has to be on their list. I have it for south Aus and should have visa very shortly.
Once you have visa you then have to apply for an Artc to get trade recognition then to get a A grade licence you have to pass their regs cource.
The quickest way to do this is at peer, which is in adelaide.
I see you have mostly worked in maintenance and this may affect whether the trade recognition council see you as a electrical fitter rather than electrical mechanic .
It really is a headache and it seems people have problems getting their Artc and now also that other states are not recognising the peer cource if you want to swap south aus licence to another state.

Continuity of work would be more beneficial in your visa application so leaving to get back on tools might work against you given the current lack of work on sites.

Hope this helps ,johnny.
Old May 27th 2011, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi Johnny,

Thanks very much for your advice, much appreciated and good luck with your move to Aus.

I will take your advice and stay put never really thought of job continuity.

I think our first choice would be Perth but its still early stages. I think this forum is unbelievable with the knowledge so my intention was to read as much as i can. I get the feeling that most of the sparks on here are install or domestic which is not my field as you know. I would consider the mines because im a glutton for punishment but the money sounds attractive. My dream job would be a a job in a hospital or something similar but to be honest i would be prepared to do what it takes.

Please let me know how you get on and i will monitor what you have done for advice. What sort of field are you in by the way?

I have two young kids and just finished my HNC so now i have time to really concentrate on this now.

By the way any comments on Go matilda or overseas emigration based in Edinburgh. Thought i would go for an agent, would be brave no to i think

Cheers

Matt

Old May 28th 2011, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

You could also apply for a 175 visa, which means you can live in any part of Australia and not have to rely on state sponsorship. Western Australia is very popular, someone mentioned on here they filled their allocation for electricians this year in 2 days.

You don't have to use an agent, all the information you need is on the DIAC and VETASSESS websites. They'll contact you if they need any extra information from you at any point.
Old May 29th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

johnny.w is an unknown quantity at this point

matt, i used an agent (get going) based in ivybridge. Some people use them others dont but she has been good.Dont know about ones in edinburgh. I'm a glaswegian by the way but lived in london since 95. Funnily enough i'm doing a maintenance job at the moment in a hospital. After 25 years of contracting i was out of work for a while and this was only thing i got offered . It has helped me with visa application because of the continuity. You have to supply payslips , references etc.
When i get to aus iwill go back into contracting because thats what i prefer.
Hope to have visa next week then will bang in Artc application, got all my docs certified and wrote out 3 installs that i've done over the years.
You'll get loads of info on this site.
Will let you know how i get on.
Also got 2 weans 7&5 best time to get them out of selfish Britain.
Old May 31st 2011, 6:29 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

I dropped back onto the tools from a management position in preparation for applying for trades recognition as an electrician, this was after some wrong and advice and misinterpretting the info from the DIAC. I signed up with an agent and found it wasn't necessary to actually be on the tools as long as you could demonstrate that you were always working 'in the trade' things have however worked out better for me $$$ but there shouldn't be a need to change your role if you don't want to. It is cases like yours where an agent can assist with the assessment application to make sure it is prepared in such a way that it reads right and ticks all the boxes and includes all the info they are looking for.

Goodluck whatever you decide
Old May 31st 2011, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for your help people.

Thats reassuring regards to going back on to the tools.

I think my next step is going to be reading the process thoroughly regards to getting my skills assessed then what i do after that.

I dont want to ask questions that i know are on here, my only concern was the not being on the tools scenario.

My Wife told her Mum and Dad our intentions which was awkward but i think they understand why we are moving.

For us personally we dont have a big social life due to two young kids so im not going to miss a lot about the UK especially the huge debt this country is in which we all have to pay off via pay freezes and pension contributions. If we are successful i dont think there is much i can say that is great about this country anymore and i would like my kids to live in a country that helps family not beat down the hard workers with child care costs etc.

Rant over now.

Thanks again folks im going to do some reading now.

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elainew2583
Hi Johnny,

Thanks very much for your advice, much appreciated and good luck with your move to Aus.

I will take your advice and stay put never really thought of job continuity.

I think our first choice would be Perth but its still early stages. I think this forum is unbelievable with the knowledge so my intention was to read as much as i can. I get the feeling that most of the sparks on here are install or domestic which is not my field as you know. I would consider the mines because im a glutton for punishment but the money sounds attractive. My dream job would be a a job in a hospital or something similar but to be honest i would be prepared to do what it takes.

Please let me know how you get on and i will monitor what you have done for advice. What sort of field are you in by the way?

I have two young kids and just finished my HNC so now i have time to really concentrate on this now.

By the way any comments on Go matilda or overseas emigration based in Edinburgh. Thought i would go for an agent, would be brave no to i think

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,
I'm based in Edinburgh and we used Overseas Emigration. Can't fault them.
Brilliant from start to finish. They were recommended to us by a few other satisfied customers. Always helpful and prompt replies to any queries that we had. Also, as cool as cucumbers when my missus lost the plot with them (through no fault of their own, the Aussie Govt. were implementing a lot of changes during our application).
Regards Derren
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Matt,
I'm based in Edinburgh and we used Overseas Emigration. Can't fault them.
Brilliant from start to finish. They were recommended to us by a few other satisfied customers. Always helpful and prompt replies to any queries that we had. Also, as cool as cucumbers when my missus lost the plot with them (through no fault of their own, the Aussie Govt. were implementing a lot of changes during our application).
Regards Derren
Thanks Derren thats reassuring, i might give them a call sine they are local.

Cheers