Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

Old Nov 25th 2012, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice
Default Re: DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

Hi,
Myself and my wife have recently been contemplating a permanent move to Australia. I've been horrified to read how difficult this move seems to be. Is New Zealand any easier?
I am a fully qualified electrician, having served my four year apprenticeship here in Ireland. I have one year's work experience in addition to this.
What are my best visa and licence options? How long can I expect this to take and how much can I expect this to cost? Our preferred locations, in order, are Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth.
I naively thought Australia was crying out for sparks and all I'd have to do was apply for a visa, maybe do a course for a couple of weeks, pass an exam, and work away. I'm shocked by what I've read. Please tell me it isn't so bad!!
My wife qualified as a Primary School Teacher in Ireland last year and is currently working as a teacher for her DIP/probation year. Is there any advantage to my prospects in naming her as the main applicant? I have heard that Primary Teachers are not on the shortage list but that Early Childhood Education is and she might qualify to teach that.
Any advice would be really appreciated. Feel absolutely lost now!
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

martinwferguson is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just about the sit the Vetassess general electrician practical assessment so with any luck I should get the OTSR. Can anyone recommend the least painful process for getting an A grade license once a UK electrician gets a visa sorted out? I'm slightly confused but it sounds like there are options and not using Vetassess once you have arrive in Australia might make things easier.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:36 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinwferguson
I'm just about the sit the Vetassess general electrician practical assessment so with any luck I should get the OTSR. Can anyone recommend the least painful process for getting an A grade license once a UK electrician gets a visa sorted out? I'm slightly confused but it sounds like there are options and not using Vetassess once you have arrive in Australia might make things easier.
Not surprised you're confused mate, I went to SA after doing a distance learning log book and got a work anywhere in the country on any electrical work licence after 1 week, in the process of switching this to nsw licence now, who knows if it will work but so far all this has worked for me.

No doubt somebody will be along shortly to tell you this is impossible and cannot work... I did the Adelaide course in April 2012 but then again perhaps it's changed again in the last 6 months or so.

Who knows but good luck to yoiu
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elect42
After reading so much info on here I thought finally there is a chance with gaining vetassess way absolutely NOT.

I have went to energy safe a month ago supplied vet but also told them I was also waiting on ARTC which they replied its all the same to get A license, jes why didnt I wait for ARTC. I did need the restricted license to work so I went ahead. Supporting a family unlicensed or restricted here isnt easy especially with two kids.

Basically they have sent out to me I have to be supervised for up to 12 months possible could be earlier they really dont know could be 4 months but has to be completed in 12 months, go to a campus balga for a course which looks like 155 hrs with online help eeoz training standards then after that log book onsite plus after being approved with all that the two week ETL course.

WHAT A JOKE WE ARE NOT ELECTRICIANS HERE BUT APPRENTICES AGAIN.

Go the ARTC WAY as the poly tech campus told me that is the way normally to go this way is new to them too.
They are taking places at mo and being filled up so I think theres alot caught this way.

Theres courses in sept oct earliest.

Goodluck
All new applicants coming to Australia have NO option but to 1st apply via Vetassess, then when your here you can apply to the TRA for a certificate recognizing your current skills this is NOT a license to work.