Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

Originally Posted by Joshlobb43
Can any of you lads who are clued up explain to me what i need to do, i am coming over on a whv, i have done a 4year apprenticship 2 of which indentured plus 2 year experience.

My belief is i need to apply for artc, then apply for licence, then somehow manage to get 155hrs as an assistant?

Thanks for any help
Once you get here you can apply to the TRA, from what i hear it will take around 3 months then you do a 2 week course to get your license. Crazy that you can do that but guys like me who have residency and spent a fortune getting that and moving our families have to do a years gap training.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Joshlobb43 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot mate! I seem to have gt my head round it, yeah theres something not quite right with the system there. If someone who qualified for a years working holiday visa was thinking of emigrating it would actually be aeasier for them to go on whv and get licence then come back and apply for citizenship! Mad!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot mate! I seem to have gt my head round it, yeah theres something not quite right with the system there. If someone who qualified for a years working holiday visa was thinking of emigrating it would actually be aeasier for them to go on whv and get licence then come back and apply for citizenship! Mad!
When you think about it like that it really is a crock of shit - so basically the current system makes it easier for younger, less experienced sparks to gain a license and a long term (1 year +) visa

Truly an ill thought out system.....
Old Sep 13th 2012, 1:31 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Has something changed then? I thought you could apply for ARTC after you land and go to PEER in Adelaide like I did and get a full ANY electrical work licence in a week after completing the correspondence course.

Ok so you have to be in Australia now to apply for the ARTC but have they somehow stopped vettassess applicants applying for ARTC's?
Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:05 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Has something changed then? I thought you could apply for ARTC after you land and go to PEER in Adelaide like I did and get a full ANY electrical work licence in a week after completing the correspondence course.

Ok so you have to be in Australia now to apply for the ARTC but have they somehow stopped vettassess applicants applying for ARTC's?
I was told that if TRA find out you have OTSR from Vetassess, they will not issue OTSR. Not sure about OTSR's from Vic Uni, since Vic Uni have all but stopped issuing OTSR's for licensed trades as states not happy with tech interview, and no practical. Does ARTC have practical Rinkerdink?
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

The way i read the ARTC application form you can still apply when in the uk. There is a question which says, which proposed state to you intend to travel to? (for overseas applicants only). Has anyone had any experience with getting a ARTC from the uk recently? Worried that ill apply and pay the fee for them then to say i need to be in australia!!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:39 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The way i read the ARTC application form you can still apply when in the uk. There is a question which says, which proposed state to you intend to travel to? (for overseas applicants only). Has anyone had any experience with getting a ARTC from the uk recently? Worried that ill apply and pay the fee for them then to say i need to be in australia!!
Hi Josh - if you read the guidelines that go with the application, you cannot apply unless you have the right to wok in australia (WHV is okay for this) and are resident in Australia so I would be cautious about applying too much in advance. Think what people in the past have done is apply just before they go but hopefully someone can add to this that has applied from UK before going
Old Sep 14th 2012, 12:39 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

I applied from UK when you still could (just, phew). There was a big waiting time for the ARTC at the time and I think it was the back log that drove the change to Australian based applications. I did put my arrival date for my recce on the form (this was in the future at the time) and it got processed ok in about 3 months, I got the result through in the cab from heathrow airport on the way home.

I have read that they are asking for an australian utility bill and a copy of the passport entry stamp to prove a presence in Australia although not sure about this?
Old Sep 14th 2012, 1:12 am
Just Joined

This is what the guidelines say:

To be granted an ARTC you will need to:
a) be an Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen, hold a New Zealand Passport or hold a visa that allows you to temporarily reside and work in your trade in Australia; and
b) understand the other eligibility requirements for the ARTC as set out in section 2.4 of these Guidelines before starting an application.

There is also a section on the application form that asks, which state will you intend to travel to, (for overseas applicants only).

I think my best bet is to give them a call and double check. Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 14th 2012, 5:44 am

This is what the guidelines say:

To be granted an ARTC you will need to:
a) be an Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen, hold a New Zealand Passport or hold a visa that allows you to temporarily reside and work in your trade in Australia; and
b) understand the other eligibility requirements for the ARTC as set out in section 2.4 of these Guidelines before starting an application.

There is also a section on the application form that asks, which state will you intend to travel to, (for overseas applicants only).

I think my best bet is to give them a call and double check. Thanks for the help!
This is the section I was on about.

2.4 ELIGIBILITY FOR AN AUSTRALIAN RECOGNISED TRADE CERTIFICATE
To be granted an ARTC, you must be able to demonstrate that you:
a) are an Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen, hold a New Zealand Passport or hold a visa that allows you to temporarily reside and work in your trade in Australia
b) reside in Australia
c) have sufficient English language skills to perform the work of the trade safely in Australia
d) have sufficient training and experience to meet the requirements of the Criteria and Guidelines and the Act
e) undertake all steps in the assessment process including, where applicable, a technical interview, trade test or other action requested by an LC
f) are currently capable of performing the work of your trade in Australia.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Ahhh i see, i think im just going to wait, have the application form ready, then post it the day i arrive!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 5:58 am
Just Joined

ilovespurs09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys , info is great !
I completed my etl course a week ago and the course was brilliant. Just got a quick question regarding time scale on recieving my license . I received an email on the Monday after completing my course asking for payment of $355 to process my license . Does this mean I have been grante it but I have to wait for it to be sent to me before I can look for a job using the license ? Cheers
Old Nov 16th 2012, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Finally Licensed as an electrician Yo hooo.

Guys things are changing with the system after christmas I have been told apparently TRA is teaming up with Vetassess and everyone will be doing the up to year onsite training with the course on completion of a logbook. CETs are trying to fight it at moment as they are disagreeing but hey, they can shout but wont be heard, like us.

Anyway licensed within 4 1/2 months after submitting ARTC cert after I had applied Vetassess way first I scrapped that went ARTC as I had applied many months ago. Vetassess I wouldnt recommend to anyone, but things are changing for electricians here that want licensing and it aint looking to bright.

You can go ARTC way if you have a vetassess they cant stop you what you use to gain license. I did.
ARTC will not and alot of us have said this throughout they wont give you certificate until you live here simple. They check after I arrived within one month after proving I live here got ARTC certificate.

Goodluck
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:58 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elect42
Finally Licensed as an electrician Yo hooo.

Guys things are changing with the system after christmas I have been told apparently TRA is teaming up with Vetassess and everyone will be doing the up to year onsite training with the course on completion of a logbook. CETs are trying to fight it at moment as they are disagreeing but hey, they can shout but wont be heard, like us.

Anyway licensed within 4 1/2 months after submitting ARTC cert after I had applied Vetassess way first I scrapped that went ARTC as I had applied many months ago. Vetassess I wouldnt recommend to anyone, but things are changing for electricians here that want licensing and it aint looking to bright.

You can go ARTC way if you have a vetassess they cant stop you what you use to gain license. I did.
ARTC will not and alot of us have said this throughout they wont give you certificate until you live here simple. They check after I arrived within one month after proving I live here got ARTC certificate.

Goodluck

Well done and congratulations mate.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done. I wish i had done the same now but i would have had to wait for my container to arrive to apply for an ARTC and was put off by being told we were not allowed if we had vetassess. Now i am stuck with this retarded online logbook.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.