Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:52 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: newcastle
Posts: 82
jonnyd is on a distinguished road
Default could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

as the title says
jonnyd is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:41 pm
  #2  
Naughty but nice...
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
as the title says

Which visa is your partner applying for, how long have you been together and do you live together?
Wendy is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:50 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: newcastle
Posts: 82
jonnyd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

i will be qualified as an electrician come september my partner is an aerobics instructor. we have lived together for 4 years been together 4.5 years i'm just thinking of the quickest way to get the hell out of england lol
jonnyd is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:38 pm
  #4  
Naughty but nice...
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
i will be qualified as an electrician come september my partner is an aerobics instructor. we have lived together for 4 years been together 4.5 years i'm just thinking of the quickest way to get the hell out of england lol

Are you both under 30? Maybe look at a Working Holiday Visa and try to get a sponsor. Or even just come out for a holiday and try to get one?

Your partners profession isn't on the Skilled Occupation List, so you can't use her skills - looks like it's all down to you. It is easier to get a sponsor from here, than it is getting one from the UK.

If you do come out on a WHV, then try to only take jobs as an Electrician though, because if you can't find a sponsor then at least you will be still gaining work experience in that field which will make it easier for you to apply in your own right if it doesn't work out.

Also it will be easier to find a sponsor in regional area's as opposed to the more popular ones, so bear that in mind as well.
Wendy is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:45 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: newcastle
Posts: 82
jonnyd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Are you both under 30? Maybe look at a Working Holiday Visa and try to get a sponsor. Or even just come out for a holiday and try to get one?

Your partners profession isn't on the Skilled Occupation List, so you can't use her skills - looks like it's all down to you. It is easier to get a sponsor from here, than it is getting one from the UK.

If you do come out on a WHV, then try to only take jobs as an Electrician though, because if you can't find a sponsor then at least you will be still gaining work experience in that field which will make it easier for you to apply in your own right if it doesn't work out.

Also it will be easier to find a sponsor in regional area's as opposed to the more popular ones, so bear that in mind as well.
yeah i'll be 27 then she will be 22. would be staying with my mum in brisbane
jonnyd is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:54 pm
  #6  
Naughty but nice...
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
yeah i'll be 27 then she will be 22. would be staying with my mum in brisbane

I presume your Mum lives here? Do you have any other family (Dad, sisters or brothers) and where do they live?
Wendy is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:15 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: newcastle
Posts: 82
jonnyd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
I presume your Mum lives here? Do you have any other family (Dad, sisters or brothers) and where do they live?
my sister lives in sydney and my brother with my mum in brisbane
jonnyd is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:01 pm
  #8  
Naughty but nice...
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
my sister lives in sydney and my brother with my mum in brisbane

If all your family are over here then have a look at the last remaining relative visa. http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/115/index.htm
Wendy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.