British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/could-i-come-oz-work-visa-my-partner-then-apply-stay-509862/)

jonnyd Jan 28th 2008 7:52 pm

could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

as the title says ;)

Wendy Jan 28th 2008 8:41 pm

Re: could i come to oz on a work visa with my partner then apply to stay?

Originally Posted by jonnyd (Post 5850446)
as the title says ;)

Which visa is your partner applying for, how long have you been together and do you live together?

jonnyd Jan 28th 2008 8:50 pm

i will be qualified as an electrician come september my partner is an aerobics instructor. we have lived together for 4 years been together 4.5 years i'm just thinking of the quickest way to get the hell out of england lol

Wendy Jan 28th 2008 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by jonnyd (Post 5850715)
i will be qualified as an electrician come september my partner is an aerobics instructor. we have lived together for 4 years been together 4.5 years i'm just thinking of the quickest way to get the hell out of england lol

Are you both under 30? Maybe look at a Working Holiday Visa and try to get a sponsor. Or even just come out for a holiday and try to get one?

Your partners profession isn't on the Skilled Occupation List, so you can't use her skills - looks like it's all down to you. It is easier to get a sponsor from here, than it is getting one from the UK.

If you do come out on a WHV, then try to only take jobs as an Electrician though, because if you can't find a sponsor then at least you will be still gaining work experience in that field which will make it easier for you to apply in your own right if it doesn't work out.

Also it will be easier to find a sponsor in regional area's as opposed to the more popular ones, so bear that in mind as well.

jonnyd Jan 28th 2008 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5850940)
Are you both under 30? Maybe look at a Working Holiday Visa and try to get a sponsor. Or even just come out for a holiday and try to get one?

Your partners profession isn't on the Skilled Occupation List, so you can't use her skills - looks like it's all down to you. It is easier to get a sponsor from here, than it is getting one from the UK.

If you do come out on a WHV, then try to only take jobs as an Electrician though, because if you can't find a sponsor then at least you will be still gaining work experience in that field which will make it easier for you to apply in your own right if it doesn't work out.

Also it will be easier to find a sponsor in regional area's as opposed to the more popular ones, so bear that in mind as well.

yeah i'll be 27 then she will be 22. would be staying with my mum in brisbane

Wendy Jan 28th 2008 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by jonnyd (Post 5850972)
yeah i'll be 27 then she will be 22. would be staying with my mum in brisbane

I presume your Mum lives here? Do you have any other family (Dad, sisters or brothers) and where do they live?

jonnyd Jan 29th 2008 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5851006)
I presume your Mum lives here? Do you have any other family (Dad, sisters or brothers) and where do they live?

my sister lives in sydney and my brother with my mum in brisbane

Wendy Jan 29th 2008 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by jonnyd (Post 5854726)
my sister lives in sydney and my brother with my mum in brisbane

If all your family are over here then have a look at the last remaining relative visa. http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/115/index.htm