British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Could I apply now??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/could-i-apply-now-558117/)

orrin Aug 29th 2008 7:19 am

Could I apply now???

Good Day!! Glad to know I am not alone in this application business!
Quick question please.
These are my quilifications....
16th edition C&G
17th edition upgrade C&G
2391 inspection and testing C&G
Part completed National Diploma
, Electrical power engineering (South Africa)BUT failed Theory part of last subject. (3 year course, 2 full time study,1 work experience)
Most of my work experience is domestic, I am self employed, Was NICEIC regestered for one year.

So the question..Should I apply now with that now..?? or wait till completed National diploma (mid next year), re-register for NICEIC, then apply?

I am 33 yrs of age, If that helps.

Janna and Nick Aug 29th 2008 4:22 pm

Re: Could I apply now???

You could apply now.

If you were going for the general electrician trade, then you would sit the practical through Vetassess (loads of info available on here about that) and with the qualifications you have already you should pass without a problem.

Good luck!

jonsparx Aug 29th 2008 5:38 pm

janna and nick, have you had to pay the same as last time to re take the practical??? Im sure i read about a reduced rate so you only pay for the part you failed on??

orrin Aug 29th 2008 5:55 pm

Cheers for that.
The thing is when I try to fill in the online app it seems that I have nothing as there is no where to put the PART finished diploma.
The 2391 is only a week course and the 17th is only a day course:curse: also no where to put.WAS NICEIC regestered. (got a little tired of their cr...p)
Any ideas?
orrin

Kirby Reynolds Aug 30th 2008 9:57 am

Hi orin

You need to print off the form(s) fill them out with your qual(s) then you need to provide evidence of your employment history which has to have been associated with electrical installation work to apply for GENERAL ELECTRICIAN. im not 100% sure but i think there more interested in your experience within the trade than qual(s).

I sent off references which i got from customers written in detail about what work i did how long it took what tools are involved (the more info the better) You have to send loads off info off if your self employed.

again i sent a copy of my napit part p i.d card. my V.A.T reg certificate proving that i had a legal business operating and trading in a certain name.
business account details (edmundson electrical, city electrical account forms) etc etc

but you need to read the forms closely. any copys you send off have to be solicited (checked and signed to be legitimate copys) which will cost between 10 to 50

best thing to do mate is print the forms off cause theres to much on here for me to talk you through! (its a F**king mine field and this is just for the paper application):confused:

im still waiting on my paper work being accepted for the october vetasses

hope this helps

Kirby :curse:

Kirby Reynolds Aug 30th 2008 10:01 am

p.s

I think you have to have 6 years experience in the trade! again not 100% sure but its round there! Nick & Janna will know better as they have had there paper work accepted.:thumbup:

Janna and Nick Aug 30th 2008 4:06 pm

We have 7 years experience, and as long as you can prove you have the experience you should be okay, although qualifications and NICEIC membership will help of course. You can also complete a statutory declaration as well to give them more info. There are loads of threads on the Electrician forum which have discussed how to go about your application.

The actual Vetassess website says you need at least 2 years experience and as they only do the selected 10 trades or so, this must also be sufficient for electricians too (although there are some sceptics on here about the 2 year thing). Of course you will need to pass the paper assessment but the practical is the most important bit as this demonstrates you can do what you say you can.

If you need any help, just ask!

The_Pom_From_Aus Aug 31st 2008 5:28 am

orrin;

you can forget the ONC mate its worth sod all over here, once you get your TRA & that's the ticket to migrate then once here your not allowed to work alone until you pass the A class exams they are a mixture bag of practical & theory exams the easiest place to get the A class is Adelaide at PEER if you look for Wendy on this site she can give you lots of info & how to go about it all.

In Victoria they have the hardest exams in Australia i wish i had know about PEER a few years ago.

When you apply i can recommend you get the electrical mechanics TRA, that allows you do work unsupervised once you pass the A class, some states wont allow you to work alone or unsupervised if you have the electrical fitters TRA, so its very important you get the correct certificate to start with.

all the best to you with your application, if your intending on living in QLD then post to Stev'O on here again he is very switched on & very helpful to people, if you are coming to Victoria i can also help for the exams.