Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

college courses for vetassess ?

college courses for vetassess ?

Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

hagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nice
Default college courses for vetassess ?

does anybody know if theres any course to help you pass this?
having read thro some of the posts i must have missed a lot of my training as i feel i will struggle passing this.
and theres me thinking i was a ok sparky
i have only ever done domestic work.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: college courses for vetassess ?

Hi Hagueok

I don't think there is I'm afraid. DOL motors is something you will need to be hot on as well as safe diconnection and reconnection procedures.

There is a book called Electrical Installation Work by Brian Scadden which supposedly has all of the info you need in it. We are about to purchase the book ourselves as we failed our first attemp at the the practical.

Good luck with yours though.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

WarrenG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Hi Hagueok

I don't think there is I'm afraid. DOL motors is something you will need to be hot on as well as safe diconnection and reconnection procedures.

There is a book called Electrical Installation Work by Brian Scadden which supposedly has all of the info you need in it. We are about to purchase the book ourselves as we failed our first attemp at the the practical.

Hi Janna & Nick, If you want to PM me I have some books in PDF I could send to you.

Regards
Warren
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:18 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hagueok

http://www.vetassess.com.au/download...lectrician.pdf

pages 7 to 9 a guide to safe disconnecton / reconnection
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve`o
http://www.vetassess.com.au/download...lectrician.pdf

pages 7 to 9 a guide to safe disconnecton / reconnection
That's the bit we failed to get on our practical guide. Only realised that they hadn't sent it to us after the event as I did a serach on Oz competencies and that was one of the things that came up. I compared the internet one and the one they'd sent via the post and pages 7 to 9 didn't exist on our paper version!

Oh how different things would have been had we had that!

Nevermind, on to February

Last edited by Janna and Nick; Oct 13th 2008 at 8:01 am.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Janna and Nick;

i have produced a Disconnect & Reconnect on one A 4 page its over the top but its all in there, if you fail the disconnect, reconnect you have to do it all again, so make sure your on the ball with this test.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Janna and Nick;

i have produced a Disconnect & Reconnect on one A 4 page its over the top but its all in there, if you fail the disconnect, reconnect you have to do it all again, so make sure your on the ball with this test.

Hi The Pom from Aus, will you be posting this up online? Would be interested to see the difference (if any) from UK procedure.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

WarrenG;

the disconect/reconnect is completley different from the UK mate, i must say when i have time over the weekend i shall retype it for you and send it via a email to you if you like, im ever so sorry im unable to do it before the weekend.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Arthur,

We have the ones attached to the Vetassess candidate guide which can be downloaded from their website, unfortunately though it was only after we had failed the July practical we we given these. I was very frustrated!!!

We will definately be better prepared next time! The DOL starter is a bit worrying as Nick has never done this before. Not sure where he can learn how to do this. But hopefully with a little luck we'll get there!

Thanks!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

WarrenG;

the disconect/reconnect is completley different from the UK mate, i must say when i have time over the weekend i shall retype it for you and send it via a email to you if you like, im ever so sorry im unable to do it before the weekend.
Great stuff! - hey glad to see your busy and thank you!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

Go to CEF, buy a DOL starter and a set of overloads and stick them on the bosses account

Hi Arthur,

We have the ones attached to the Vetassess candidate guide which can be downloaded from their website, unfortunately though it was only after we had failed the July practical we we given these. I was very frustrated!!!

We will definately be better prepared next time! The DOL starter is a bit worrying as Nick has never done this before. Not sure where he can learn how to do this. But hopefully with a little luck we'll get there!

Thanks!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick;

if you post on here to Stev'O in QLD he has some fantastic schematic drawings about motor stop starts they are excellent, worst case is you can get a couple of stop starts, wire them up using Stev'O's drawings for practise. Then you introduce your own faults then fix them thats the best way mat at the end of the day you want to be confident to pass & it may elevate the stress for you on the day.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

NICEIC website also has good connection/disconnection guide. This is what I used for my practical. Davy
Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:50 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Janna and Nick;

if you post on here to Stev'O in QLD he has some fantastic schematic drawings about motor stop starts they are excellent, worst case is you can get a couple of stop starts, wire them up using Stev'O's drawings for practise. Then you introduce your own faults then fix them thats the best way mat at the end of the day you want to be confident to pass & it may elevate the stress for you on the day.
you know what i always say to apprentices???

if in doubt draw it out

ive found it works really well when explaining two way / intermediate switching and control circuits, honestly just try it
total cost one piece of paper and a pencil

have a look here http://www.memonline.com/circuitdiagrams.html
(its one of the links in the practical exam theory thread at the top)
draw the components, isolator / contactor / overload / switch / motor etc
and then do a basic line diagram joining them together
then go back to your supply point on the drawing and follow it through to see if it would work

i find it helps and costs bugger all

regards steve
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

shaun_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Can anyone tell me then if the disconnect - reconnect you have to do for the vetassess exam is different from thae one we all did as apprentices???
If so do I need to learn the one on the vetassess site.???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.