Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Can I work as an Electrican in Oz once Qualified ??

Can I work as an Electrican in Oz once Qualified ??

Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

mike_oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can I work as an Electrican in Oz once Qualified ??

Hello,
I am in need of a little advice and do not know where to start looking.
I am 36 years old, British and am currently re-training as an Electrician in the UK. Once the course is finished I will have gained the following UK qualifications:

1. CITB Certified
2. 17th edition - City & Guilds 2382
3. Appliance Testing - City & Guilds 2377
4. CSCS Site safety
5. EAL Domestic Installer
6. Part P

I have been on the course for 6 months and hope to finish in about 2/3+ years and will then start work in the UK.
I am also about to work part time with an Electrician to gain experience.

I have an Australian wife (married 6 years) and we want to move to back to Australia (Brisbane) in about 3 to 5 years time. Once my course is finished etc. I do not need a skilled visa as I can easily get a spouse visa, but after looking online at ex pat chat rooms etc I am starting to think I may have made a bad decision re-training as a sparky in the UK and then moving to Australia.

Would anyone be able to tell me if I am going to be able to work in Oz as a sparky. I have heard you need to have 7 years experience and even then you have to re-train and there may also be an age problem etc.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can I work as an Electrican in Oz once Qualified ??

will the course your doing give you an NVQ level 3?

mine was the city and guilds 2330 4 year full apprentiship but from what i've read on here you will have to go to college anyway to complete logbooks for upto a year whilst having an employer to sign them off at the same time
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

mike_oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply, is this something they require in oz??
Old Jan 6th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road

as far as i'm aware it is but yours could be an equivalent qualification worth looking into
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

dinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the rough

hi mike, currently i am doing samething as you but will finish next year, not sure what course your on as yours is dif numbers to mine, but seeing as how you could go to oz without quals, why don't you go to oz and enrol in one of there courses and qualify as a proper oz sparky and save all the hassle.
if you do decide to stay and finish course here you will still have course to do out in oz to transfer your qualification to there's, i've been told it not hard to do, but if it were me i'd be gone asap! what ever you decide on mate we all want that dream move, good luck and cya downunder