British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Can gap training be done in U.K.? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/can-gap-training-done-u-k-900309/)

Jason Davis Jul 23rd 2017 8:31 pm

Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Hi there

I'm a 32 year old fully qualified electrician from Wales U.K. and have decided after years of talk to move to Queensland with my wife and 3 children. I have run my own successful electrical company for over ten years now and am looking to take the plunge!

I have done a bit of research and learnt that before I move I should get my OSTR in place, obtain my white card and apply for my provisional electrical licence while I'm in the uk so it saves time rather than doing it in Australia, hence speeding up the process while I'm there. Please correct me if I'm wrong but can I apply for a provisional licence while I'm in the uk?

I understand that you can only do gap training in Australia, is that true also or can you do the theory part to it in UK? And just do the logbook part in Aus??

Our plan is once we arrive in Australia we will be traveling up the coast from Sydney in a camper van to the Sunshine Coast (where we would ideally like to settle) on a holiday and in the hope that I am able to find work there.. I will be looking for somewhere to rent for the first 12 months before actually buying our property so alot rests on the fact of finding work in that first month..

Can anyone advise the best way to approach/contact possible employers either it be through an agency or either by turning up and talking to them face to face when I'm in the area? Any help would be so much appreciated from anyone who's been through this similar process.

Many thanks

Jason

old.sparkles Jul 23rd 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Originally Posted by Jason Davis (Post 12301296)
Hi there

I'm a 32 year old fully qualified electrician from Wales U.K. and have decided after years of talk to move to Queensland with my wife and 3 children. I have run my own successful electrical company for over ten years now and am looking to take the plunge!

I have done a bit of research and learnt that before I move I should get my OSTR in place, obtain my white card and apply for my provisional electrical licence while I'm in the uk so it saves time rather than doing it in Australia, hence speeding up the process while I'm there. Please correct me if I'm wrong but can I apply for a provisional licence while I'm in the uk?

I understand that you can only do gap training in Australia, is that true also or can you do the theory part to it in UK? And just do the logbook part in Aus??

Our plan is once we arrive in Australia we will be traveling up the coast from Sydney in a camper van to the Sunshine Coast (where we would ideally like to settle) on a holiday and in the hope that I am able to find work there.. I will be looking for somewhere to rent for the first 12 months before actually buying our property so alot rests on the fact of finding work in that first month..

Can anyone advise the best way to approach/contact possible employers either it be through an agency or either by turning up and talking to them face to face when I'm in the area? Any help would be so much appreciated from anyone who's been through this similar process.

Many thanks

Jason

Hey Jason and welcome to BE :)

If you are headed for QLD, I'm not sure that you can get the restricted license before you arrive. I also don't think it is possible to complete gap training in the UK although there is a place in London (Down Under Centre) that does offer something (not sure if it would be recognised but may be worth asking).

White card is only needed if working on construction sites, so depending on what type of work you do you may not need it.

Jason Davis Jul 24th 2017 4:29 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12301331)
Hey Jason and welcome to BE :)

If you are headed for QLD, I'm not sure that you can get the restricted license before you arrive. I also don't think it is possible to complete gap training in the UK although there is a place in London (Down Under Centre) that does offer something (not sure if it would be recognised but may be worth asking).

White card is only needed if working on construction sites, so depending on what type of work you do you may not need it.

Thanks for the quick reply it's much appreciated! I'll check that out in London.. but I'll make sure it's recognised as it would be a waste of money otherwise :-/

Here at home I mainly carry out domestic installation work such as newbuilds/extensions/rewires and also commercial including offices, schools and shops etc.. I thought by getting the white card anyhow would just boost my chance of finding work with an employer..

I've heard that securing a job with an employer before arriving in Aus is very slim? In your opinion do you think it is difficult to find work for someone such as myself who requires retraining for that initial 12 months? Just a bit apprehensive as it's such a big step to take without that security..

Definitely going to give it a shot though. The lifestyle seems to be so much better!

Thanks again

Jason

old.sparkles Jul 24th 2017 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jason Davis (Post 12301473)
Thanks for the quick reply it's much appreciated! I'll check that out in London.. but I'll make sure it's recognised as it would be a waste of money otherwise :-/

Here at home I mainly carry out domestic installation work such as newbuilds/extensions/rewires and also commercial including offices, schools and shops etc.. I thought by getting the white card anyhow would just boost my chance of finding work with an employer..

I've heard that securing a job with an employer before arriving in Aus is very slim? In your opinion do you think it is difficult to find work for someone such as myself who requires retraining for that initial 12 months? Just a bit apprehensive as it's such a big step to take without that security..

Definitely going to give it a shot though. The lifestyle seems to be so much better!

Thanks again

Jason

The amount of time you take to complete gap training depends on the variety of work you can get and which state you are in to some degree. But you are correct that finding work before you move will be slim. There is at least one company that advertises sponsored positions though so try a google search for sponsored electrician, or something similar.

Jason Davis Jul 25th 2017 5:05 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12302228)
The amount of time you take to complete gap training depends on the variety of work you can get and which state you are in to some degree. But you are correct that finding work before you move will be slim. There is at least one company that advertises sponsored positions though so try a google search for sponsored electrician, or something similar.

Ok thanks Old Sparkles much appreciated 👍

Jockstar Jul 28th 2017 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Jason Davis (Post 12302385)
Ok thanks Old Sparkles much appreciated 👍

BTW easier to get work in NSW than Qld./ NSW you can work as an unlicensed sparky.

Jason Davis Jul 28th 2017 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Jockstar (Post 12304609)
BTW easier to get work in NSW than Qld./ NSW you can work as an unlicensed sparky.

That's interesting.. so with my qualifications here in the uk I am able go into work straight away as an unlicensed sparky? Perhaps I'm better off getting my feet under the table in NSW to start off and completing my GAP training there until I get my licence.. once I have my licence is it easily changed over to a QLD licence?

Thank you 👍

Jason Davis Jul 28th 2017 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Jason Davis (Post 12304655)
That's interesting.. so with my qualifications here in the uk I am able go into work straight away as an unlicensed sparky? Perhaps I'm better off getting my feet under the table in NSW to start off and completing my GAP training there until I get my licence.. once I have my licence is it easily changed over to a QLD licence?

Thank you 👍

Obviously I'll need to get my OSTR first to obtain my provisional licence??

old.sparkles Jul 28th 2017 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Jason Davis (Post 12304655)

Thank you 👍

You can use an NSW license to obtain a license in another state (or NZ I think) under mutual recognition.

Jason Davis Jul 28th 2017 11:29 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12304690)
You can use an NSW license to obtain a license in another state (or NZ I think) under mutual recognition.

That's probably the easiest option for me then.. I'll find work in NSW initially whilst settling in and renting until we decide where we want to permanently settle.. There seems to be a lot more jobs available in NSW when looking on sites such as indeed etc.. Do you know if I can apply for a provisional licence while in the UK? Or do I have to be in
Aus first? Thanks for the help once again :)