British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   British electrician looking to move to canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/british-electrician-looking-move-canada-902278/)

Chris1973 Aug 21st 2017 12:01 pm

British electrician looking to move to canada
 
Hi im a british jib electrician with 20 yrs experience with full apprentiship looking for any help/ guidence with emmigrating to canada

christmasoompa Aug 21st 2017 6:30 pm

Re: British electrician looking to move to canada
 
Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you're after advice with the electrician side of things then you're in the right place. Any visa related questions should be placed in the immi section of the Canada forum, and any lifestyle ones (i.e. how to find a job, etc) are best placed in the main Canada forums.

But questions about working in Canada as an electrician are best here, so fire away (the more specific the questions the better), and I'm sure you'll get some great advice.

HTH and good luck with it.

Chris1973 Aug 22nd 2017 4:28 pm

Re: British electrician looking to move to canada
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12321493)
Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you're after advice with the electrician side of things then you're in the right place. Any visa related questions should be placed in the immi section of the Canada forum, and any lifestyle ones (i.e. how to find a job, etc) are best placed in the main Canada forums.

But questions about working in Canada as an electrician are best here, so fire away (the more specific the questions the better), and I'm sure you'll get some great advice.

HTH and good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice with where to post .i know il have to sit some exams with regards to getting qualified over there ( red seal , codes etc ) its more about getting the foot in the door and working while getting experience while i do the exams

christmasoompa Aug 23rd 2017 11:03 am

Re: British electrician looking to move to canada
 

Originally Posted by Chris1973 (Post 12322133)
Thanks for the advice with where to post .i know il have to sit some exams with regards to getting qualified over there ( red seal , codes etc ) its more about getting the foot in the door and working while getting experience while i do the exams

Do you already have the right to work in Canada? PR or an open work permit?

If not, then you wouldn't be likely to find an employer prepared to pay $1000, go through all the hassle/paperwork of hiring you, and wait several months for you to start work, unless you already have you 'Red Seal' imo. You can't work as an electrician without it anyway, and sponsorship for what would essentially be an apprentice position would be unlikely I think.

So I'd start with getting your provincial certification, and hopefully then you'll be more attractive to employers and they'll be much more likely to sponsor you.

Electricians will no doubt be along to help you out with info on passing the exams, and a search of the Canada forums should bring up lots of relevant threads too.

Best of luck.

Chris1973 Aug 24th 2017 4:43 pm

Re: British electrician looking to move to canada
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12322630)
Do you already have the right to work in Canada? PR or an open work permit?

If not, then you wouldn't be likely to find an employer prepared to pay $1000, go through all the hassle/paperwork of hiring you, and wait several months for you to start work, unless you already have you 'Red Seal' imo. You can't work as an electrician without it anyway, and sponsorship for what would essentially be an apprentice position would be unlikely I think.

So I'd start with getting your provincial certification, and hopefully then you'll be more attractive to employers and they'll be much more likely to sponsor you.

Electricians will no doubt be along to help you out with info on passing the exams, and a search of the Canada forums should bring up lots of relevant threads too.

Best of luck.

Appreciate the advice

old.sparkles Aug 26th 2017 2:22 am

Re: British electrician looking to move to canada
 
Not sure we have many Canadian electricians passing this way - I would maybe post in the main Canadian section as well.

Luisec143 Nov 11th 2018 5:08 pm

Re: British electrician looking to move to canada
 
hi Chris1973, any luck with your move to Canada? My husband is an electrician and would love to know how your getting on.
thanks


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:02 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.