Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

British Electrical Technician Offshore (Oil & Gas)

British Electrical Technician Offshore (Oil & Gas)

Old Mar 20th 2021, 3:20 am
Just Joined

CRDAV is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb British Electrical Technician Offshore (Oil & Gas)

Hi all,

Me and my partner are really wanting to move to Oz once covid has blown over.

My partner has a BA (Hons) degree in Business.

We are both mid 20s.

I work offshore in the North Sea as an Electrical Technician (core crew).

I have completed a 4 year apprenticeship and have 2 years experience being qualified.

I've got my Compex, HV Switching, NVQ Level 3 and a HNC as well as all relevant certs to work offshore (BOSIET, MIST, medical etc).

Looking to get pointed in the right direction please on how would be best to go about moving over to Oz and hopefully working in a similar job role.

I see domestic sparkis have to resit all their certs etc. Would this be the case for an offshore technician who works on HV and LV industrial equipment?

I see a few offshore jobs come up now and again out there and a lot of work in the mines which look quite relevant to my experience.

Thanks in advance,
C
Old Mar 20th 2021, 6:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Electrical Technician Offshore (Oil & Gas)

Electricians have to be licensed here - so all electricians need to jump through the hoops to get that license. Each state has it's own license and I think you will need a license even for offshore.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

CRDAV is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

Would it be better to do it all before I go?

Or have the 1 year travel visa and try find something over there at the same time? A lot of jobs don't offer sponsorship etc.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 8:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CRDAV
Thanks for the reply.

Would it be better to do it all before I go?

Or have the 1 year travel visa and try find something over there at the same time? A lot of jobs don't offer sponsorship etc.
You need an overseas technical skills record (OTSR) for a skilled visa as an electrician. That requires an assessment of your qualifications and resume, followed by a practical and theory if they okay the assessment.

Some people recommend the down under centre in London to help with that, but you can do it on your own - the vetassess site have lots of info - https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...de-occupations.

If you can get that done before heading over, you should be able to get a license to enable you to work with supervision.

Another company to check out would be skill shortage solutions - they sometimes have possible sponsorship opportunities.