Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

British E&I Technician moving to OZ January 2018

British E&I Technician moving to OZ January 2018

Old Nov 9th 2017, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Mikey88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British E&I Technician moving to OZ January 2018

Hi All,

I am moving out to oz in january on a 12 month working holiday visa.

Whilst i am there i am wanting to work doing my trade as a tech.

I do not have my oz licence etc so will only be allowed to work as a TA.

Is there much work for maintenance techs i also would not mind working in the mines but have been told i have no chance as a TA.

My areas of work are oil&gas power stations etc.

I plan on going to either Brisbane or Sydney to start with.

Any info and advice would be appreciated.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 1:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British E&I Technician moving to OZ January 2018

Originally Posted by mkey12
Hi All,

I am moving out to oz in january on a 12 month working holiday visa.

Whilst i am there i am wanting to work doing my trade as a tech.

I do not have my oz licence etc so will only be allowed to work as a TA.

Is there much work for maintenance techs i also would not mind working in the mines but have been told i have no chance as a TA.

My areas of work are oil&gas power stations etc.

I plan on going to either Brisbane or Sydney to start with.

Any info and advice would be appreciated.
You might be able to get work in NSW as an unlicensed spark as that has been reported on here before, and they even have a pay grade for it. Most of that though I would think is in construction, but I could be wrong. Don't think there is much possibility of getting into oil and gas in NSW though (again could be wrong).

Can't help with Brisbane, but don't think you can work there unlicensed - and wouldn't know what the prospects are. Most of the oil, gas and mining is not in the major cities but in more remote areas but not my area - I do industrial maintenance, CI and programming.

The idea of the working holiday visa is to be able to work to fund an extended holiday, and does have some limitations so if you are hoping to return permanently at some stage, make sure you understand them fully.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:00 am
Just Joined

thank you for that advice buddy, i don't really wanna go back on the tool and know im not going to get an oil n gas job.

is there any maintenance positions on like power stations etc?

ill
end up working in a bar tbh lol
Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for that advice buddy, i don't really wanna go back on the tool and know im not going to get an oil n gas job.

is there any maintenance positions on like power stations etc?

ill
end up working in a bar tbh lol
Not used to being called buddy - more of a male term but hey ho,

You must either be on night shifts or an early start Saturday. If it's just a late night I'm impressed with the spelling and full sentences

There may be some roles - a lot of temporary positions appear during shutdowns . scheduled maintenance windows, etc but the bar work may be easier to come by, Vintage in the wine areas (when the grapes are harvested and crushed) starts mid to late Jan most years which also creates temp work in both manual and technical fields.

I know Randstad recruit for some oil / gas roles. Not sure what other recruiters, but if you can make friends with some they might point you in the direction of some temp work. In SA we also have groups such as Programmed who provide temp labour for specific projects. Not sure on the other states, but if you check SEEK I'm sure you'll find others.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:38 am
Just Joined

LOL you got me ive been out all night lol.

can you get me on as a programmers apprentice lol
Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:46 am

LOL you got me ive been out all night lol.

can you get me on as a programmers apprentice lol
If you want to head to SA during your year they're dismantling the Port Augusta power station currently. And BHP's Olympic Dam might have some work - they seem to be advertising a fair bit. You don't need a license for the engineering side.