Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Bloody Fitters Certificate - should have been mechanic

Bloody Fitters Certificate - should have been mechanic

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of
Default Bloody Fitters Certificate - should have been mechanic

Hi All

Hubby has just had his ARTC back and it's come back as a fitter not a mechanic. He's gutted as he works live on everything and that's what the paperwork we sent says. He had an exam over the phone for 45 mins and the chap he spoke to then said he was recommending to the board that he got his mechanics licence.

I don't know what to do now - everything we've researched was to do with mechanic.

Steve was planning to fly to Perth to get his licence there and then transfer it to a Qld one as it's quicker - can he still do this as a fitter - what happens now if we don't appeal?

It says to email for feedback so i'm going to do that, but not sure whether to pay the extra and appeal fully.

If he sticks with the fitter - can he do a course and upgrade to a mechanic when he's there? What course would that be in qld if anyone knows?

I know John_W had a similar problem - John if you're there - HELP!!!!

We're so gutted.

Any advice would be so appreciated - we've been lucky - this is our first knockback in the whole visa etc process but he's taken it hard.

Thanks guys - look forward to hearing from you

Jo
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody Fitters Certificate - should have been mechanic

Originally Posted by JosieJ
Hi All

Hubby has just had his ARTC back and it's come back as a fitter not a mechanic. He's gutted as he works live on everything and that's what the paperwork we sent says. He had an exam over the phone for 45 mins and the chap he spoke to then said he was recommending to the board that he got his mechanics licence.

I don't know what to do now - everything we've researched was to do with mechanic.

Steve was planning to fly to Perth to get his licence there and then transfer it to a Qld one as it's quicker - can he still do this as a fitter - what happens now if we don't appeal?

It says to email for feedback so i'm going to do that, but not sure whether to pay the extra and appeal fully.

If he sticks with the fitter - can he do a course and upgrade to a mechanic when he's there? What course would that be in qld if anyone knows?

I know John_W had a similar problem - John if you're there - HELP!!!!

We're so gutted.

Any advice would be so appreciated - we've been lucky - this is our first knockback in the whole visa etc process but he's taken it hard.

Thanks guys - look forward to hearing from you

Jo

Hi Jo,

That's a real bugger.

Sending you a PM, but give me a while
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:19 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

this is a realy usefull site which also has the asnwer to your fitter / mechanic question

http://www.qet.edu.au/

regards steve
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:04 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

That is bad luck. Im just filling out the ARTC now and im starting to get the impression they just issue whatever they feel like?
Iv just looked at that link stevo posted and its the first time iv read what the difference is. I would class myself as a mechanic as i work on mains all the time.
Would be nice to know exactly what they want in writing for a mechanic?
How was his interview? Basic stuff or did it get very in-depth? Is your other half a maintenance spark or domestic over here?
Stu
Old Jan 4th 2007, 6:53 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu:0
That is bad luck. Im just filling out the ARTC now and im starting to get the impression they just issue whatever they feel like?
Iv just looked at that link stevo posted and its the first time iv read what the difference is. I would class myself as a mechanic as i work on mains all the time.
Would be nice to know exactly what they want in writing for a mechanic?
How was his interview? Basic stuff or did it get very in-depth? Is your other half a maintenance spark or domestic over here?
Stu
stu send us your email address via pm or wxpats emal and i`ll send you a copy of my answer to question 7
( please list job experiance )

regards steve
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:18 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi stevo sent you a pm with my email, hope you get it ok and hope to hear from you. thanks
stu
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ding Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
stu send us your email address via pm or wxpats emal and i`ll send you a copy of my answer to question 7
( please list job experiance )

regards steve
steve'o.
You appear to be Mr Knowledgeable. Me and my family are just starting all the paperwork to get to OZ, Brisbane. What i've learnt from you and others off this site is great and invalueable BUT.... Do you think i should do this alone or get one of the many agencies to help?
Just the fact that we are not sure where to start. {My misses said that}. She is worried that the TRA form gets filled out and we pay the money but ONE silly mistake and we have to re-write it and pay again. What do you or others think? PS: I'm a spark too.
I think it seems basic but she thinks it needs to be more in depth. What do you think?
Be aware though.... If you reply, i do have other questions. like....
Should we rent for a year before buying or buy straight away?
Thanks for you time people.... Les...
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ding Dong
steve'o.
You appear to be Mr Knowledgeable. Me and my family are just starting all the paperwork to get to OZ, Brisbane. What i've learnt from you and others off this site is great and invalueable BUT.... Do you think i should do this alone or get one of the many agencies to help?
Just the fact that we are not sure where to start. {My misses said that}. She is worried that the TRA form gets filled out and we pay the money but ONE silly mistake and we have to re-write it and pay again. What do you or others think? PS: I'm a spark too.
I think it seems basic but she thinks it needs to be more in depth. What do you think?

In depth mate.

The more info the better it is
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 6:48 am
Worongary

steve'o.

personally i`d recommend diy mate it aint difficult
download the tra application form and have a look
after youve done then the visa application is easy

like wend says the more info the better show the main points
in your explanation of how you do your work
( ability to read drawings, order gear, accurately measure out, do job, test job )and get detailed references from your employers
the easy way is to write them yourself and email them to your employers asking if thye will put it on their headed paperwork and sign it
ive posted some of my references and experiances on here

do a search but if you cannot locate them i`ll dig em out and post it again

regards steve

now start here
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...itiatives/TRA/

and work your way to

http://www.dimia.gov.au/

go on get started
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ding Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really nice

Thanks Steve'o, and Wendy.
Next Question...
We have 2 school age kiddies. Can we send them to a public school or will they have to go private on a skills visa?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:21 pm
Worongary

Thanks Steve'o, and Wendy.
Next Question...
We have 2 school age kiddies. Can we send them to a public school or will they have to go private on a skills visa?
the choice is yours mate

your kids will be welcomed by your local state school
( my daughter goes to varsity coolege )

regards steve
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Steve'o,
I feel i can always rely on you.
I did a change of career about 10 years ago, where I attended night school to become a spark, C&G Parts 1 & 2, 16th edition, but since then have worked in Maintenance. I am a bit concerned that I have never worked on site although confident to do so, but maybe a bit slow. I hear that you need to do an exam and work as a mate for 6 months before getting your licence
( Queensland ) will this help me to get on site or will I need to remain in Maintenance.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Steve 'O
me again, if I get out to Brissie I'll buy you a beer. We are looking at LoganHolme and Beenleigh as a possible area to settle in, the houses seem quite reasonable and of a good size. Do you know of these areas, are they rough like areas in London can be ?