Best multi tester for Oz?

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really nice
Default Best multi tester for Oz?

Hello all,

I'm just about to treat myself to a new multi tester, I'll be off to Oz later this year to work. I was going to buy a Fluke 1653 or Megger 1553 etc. Will it work ok out there, or can anyone suggest a better alternative?

Thanks, Sean.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best multi tester for Oz?

From what im lead to believe you just lick your finger over there !!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:20 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Chris Ball
From what im lead to believe you just lick your finger over there !!
That aint far from the truth! Iv just about finished my licencing over here and the last testing part i needed an earth loop tester. Most of the guys i work with aint even heard of it, non of the wholesalers stocked one, its turned into a special order. Finally got it and lets just say it isnt the most modern thing you've seen. Doesnt even have a setting to stop rcd's from tripping!
So mate whatever you bring will be advanced over here, even a wind up megger!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Sean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really nice

Cheers Chris & Stu...

Based on what you say, I'm gonna buy the tester with the most flashing lights and beeps, bluetooth, and the odd bell and whistle... hopefully it will keep the boss / examiner busy while I lick my finger.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:32 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean101
Cheers Chris & Stu...

Based on what you say, I'm gonna buy the tester with the most flashing lights and beeps, bluetooth, and the odd bell and whistle... hopefully it will keep the boss / examiner busy while I lick my finger.
i have an rcd speed trip tester, the local sparks want the build a shrine and worship it

the offical way to test rcd`s and its expalined in the aussie wiring regs
press the button
thats it i kid you not
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
i have an rcd speed trip tester, the local sparks want the build a shrine and worship it

the offical way to test rcd`s and its expalined in the aussie wiring regs
press the button
thats it i kid you not
That's finger-lickin' priceless!

I'm probably not the first spark on here to be confused that my 2391 and 17th edition carries no weight out there, and that I might need to be supervised for a year.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:46 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

That's finger-lickin' priceless!

I'm probably not the first spark on here to be confused that my 2391 and 17th edition carries no weight out there, and that I might need to be supervised for a year.
if youve got a 2391 ( wiring verification cert ) and its takes you a year to get sorted i`ll show me arse on the town hall steps
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
if youve got a 2391 ( wiring verification cert ) and its takes you a year to get sorted i`ll show me arse on the town hall steps
Well that sounds promising (the timescale bit), however I'm adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, will pack the camera.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:26 pm
Worongary

Well that sounds promising (the timescale bit), however I'm adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, will pack the camera.
make sure it has a wide angle lens
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

ha.ha,,testin in oz ive got a brand new fluke it u want 2 buy it...neva been used since......blighty!!!!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

Hello all,

I'm just about to treat myself to a new multi tester, I'll be off to Oz later this year to work. I was going to buy a Fluke 1653 or Megger 1553 etc. Will it work ok out there, or can anyone suggest a better alternative?

Thanks, Sean.

Trust me this is the least of your problems when you get out here
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jamiefrod
Trust me this is the least of your problems when you get out here
Do tell mate? It looks like getting certified will be a hassle, but what else?

Page 5 of this link from Jan 08 is about sparks...
http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...Jan08FINAL.pdf

Am I likely to find it hard getting work on a temp work visa? Or being a pom? Or something else?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

milkchocolate is an unknown quantity at this point

What other problems??
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

Do tell mate? It looks like getting certified will be a hassle, but what else?

Page 5 of this link from Jan 08 is about sparks...
http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...Jan08FINAL.pdf

Am I likely to find it hard getting work on a temp work visa? Or being a pom? Or something else?
Works easy enough to find, just licensing is a major ball ache, depending on where you go, can be up to 9 months. There are plenty of horror stories on here. You can get work ok in a reduced capacity until you get you licence ie. trade assistant or supervised etc.

Don't let that put you off though just warning you its a bit of a drawn out red tape loada balls excercise.