British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Australia Needs Skills Expo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/australia-needs-skills-expo-518017/)

Dmac Feb 29th 2008 6:10 am

Australia Needs Skills Expo

Hi

I got an invite to this expo in March, has anyone been before? what can i expect?

Porter Feb 29th 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Australia Needs Skills Expo

Me too matey,share a taxi??Are there better areas in Aussie for electrical contracting work than others or is it swings n roundabouts.At the moment i'm not fussed too much about were to live or should i be??My first expo and going to Leeds in April.:D

Janna and Nick Feb 29th 2008 6:09 pm

My OH is going to the one in London in March. A bit disappointing that I can't go too.... But I understand why they do it that way! Maybe he will see some of you there. Perth and Brisbane are experiencing lots of growth so should be plenty of jobs. That's not to say that elsewhere won't be the same though.

cjgoodall Feb 29th 2008 7:25 pm

Is the invite just for one person?

chris

jo1304 Mar 1st 2008 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick (Post 6000255)
My OH is going to the one in London in March. A bit disappointing that I can't go too.... But I understand why they do it that way! Maybe he will see some of you there. Perth and Brisbane are experiencing lots of growth so should be plenty of jobs. That's not to say that elsewhere won't be the same though.

It's just come to my attention reading through the forum that its just one invite you get, my husband is waiting on an invite and we were hoping to both go. Can you confirm that it is just 1 invite you get please. Thanks

Janna and Nick Mar 1st 2008 7:57 am

Originally Posted by jo1304 (Post 6002565)
It's just come to my attention reading through the forum that its just one invite you get, my husband is waiting on an invite and we were hoping to both go. Can you confirm that it is just 1 invite you get please. Thanks

Yeah it is just one invite. Only the person whose details you gave when you registered for the expo are allowed in. I will go to London with my OH (we don't live too far away) and then find a coffee shop or something.

It's a bit silly really as we're both going to make the decision about where to move to etc. but they don't have capacity to fit in husbands, wives and all the children!

:confused:

Dmac Mar 1st 2008 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick (Post 6002606)
Yeah it is just one invite. Only the person whose details you gave when you registered for the expo are allowed in. I will go to London with my OH (we don't live too far away) and then find a coffee shop or something.

It's a bit silly really as we're both going to make the decision about where to move to etc. but they don't have capacity to fit in husbands, wives and all the children!

:confused:

Yeah i know what you mean it should include partners too i ve got my appointment time booked for 10 30 on the sunday!

Porter Mar 1st 2008 4:58 pm

Can't go then Dmac ,playing footy!!

International_Recruiter Mar 28th 2008 6:17 am

:confused: Hi guys just after some feedback from the expo... Don't hold back!

I was there looking for people to place with my clients here in Australia.... what did you think?

Janna and Nick Mar 28th 2008 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by International_Recruiter (Post 6122209)

I was there looking for people to place with my clients here in Australia.... what did you think?

Bit of a waste of time to be fair International_Recruiter :confused:. Too many people and not enough people at the stands to talk to all of them, not enough places at the seminar's etc. My OH went (Electrician) but didn't get anything from the expo that we already didn't know about from doing research beforehand. There is another thread on this site which has 200 odd replies (when I lasted checked) about what people thought of the expo.

As a recruiter, what are your views?

Burkins Mar 28th 2008 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by International_Recruiter (Post 6122209)

My OH went to the Expo and yes he did spend time queuing but if you know that the stand is looking for your trade/occupation then you will stand and queue for hours just in the slim hope that someone will offer you a job and a visa.