British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Aussie looking to work as sparky in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/aussie-looking-work-sparky-uk-838918/)

McCallister Jul 17th 2014 11:41 am

Aussie looking to work as sparky in UK

Hi, I was just wondering how hard it is for Australians to get a sparky job in the UK somewhere, preferably London.

Qualified A class with 6 years experience including apprenticeship. Currently work in switchboard manufacturing and is where I have most experience.

Are there any training courses that need to be taken in order to become an electrician in UK from Aus?

Andy the spark Jul 17th 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Aussie looking to work as sparky in UK

It's a piece of p*** mate! As long as someone's willing to employ you, and you can do the job, you're laughing. The only course I would suggest you do is the 17th edition regs course. But that's only a short course.

Some people may ask to see your city & guilds and AM2 certs. But I've been working in UK for 18 years and no ones ever asked to see them.

old.sparkles Jul 17th 2014 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Andy the spark (Post 11339120)
It's a piece of p*** mate! As long as someone's willing to employ you, and you can do the job, you're laughing. The only course I would suggest you do is the 17th edition regs course. But that's only a short course.

Some people may ask to see your city & guilds and AM2 certs. But I've been working in UK for 18 years and no ones ever asked to see them.

Of course that may depend on the jobs you are going for. A lot of employers will ask to see quals and references - and may even require aptitude testing :)

genorm Jul 17th 2014 7:10 pm

Hope you have plenty of money if you want to live in London. You will need at least AUD400,000 to buy even a studio flat, and half a million for a 1 bed flat.

McCallister Jul 17th 2014 8:41 pm

I am only looking at a 12-24 month period, so I don't have intentions to purchase property there, I would be either renting a studio apartment or flatting. Would you say the best way to tackle it would he just get over there and start asking questions? Or perhaps try and set something up here before I leave? Thanks for the info lads.

McCallister Jul 17th 2014 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by genorm (Post 11339516)
Hope you have plenty of money if you want to live in London. You will need at least AUD400,000 to buy even a studio flat, and half a million for a 1 bed flat.

Just on that point, I understand it's a piece of string, but how much roughly would renting a studio flat be?

mikelincs Jul 17th 2014 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by McCallister (Post 11339631)
Just on that point, I understand it's a piece of string, but how much roughly would renting a studio flat be?

Have a look here..

London flats. Find studio flats to rent in London

old.sparkles Jul 18th 2014 12:53 am

Originally Posted by McCallister (Post 11339630)
I am only looking at a 12-24 month period, so I don't have intentions to purchase property there, I would be either renting a studio apartment or flatting. Would you say the best way to tackle it would he just get over there and start asking questions? Or perhaps try and set something up here before I leave? Thanks for the info lads.

huh hum!

mikelincs Jul 18th 2014 7:31 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11339843)
huh hum!

Don't worry OS, it was just a typically Aussie sexist remark

genorm Jul 18th 2014 7:58 am

Originally Posted by McCallister (Post 11339631)

A lot of studio's are Student Lets, so you should be aware of that. Also, most Aussies in London seem to congregate around Earl's Court. I think there is a group on either Twitter or Facebook "Aussies in London" - you might want to check that out.

Jockstar Jul 18th 2014 8:57 am

Mate. I lived in London for years. I lived and worked with a lot of Aussies and Kiwis. Flatting was the way to go. However for work. Its best to use agencies. Not sure how easy it is as it used to be. But if there is work around. You should be fine. The travellers mag TNT sometimes has jobs in it. Also buy the evening standard for loads of jobs. Sun newspaper etc etc. Do a google for employment agencies and send off your CV.

McCallister Jul 20th 2014 10:37 am

Thanks for the info, and I offer my sincere apologies for being so blatantly sexist ;)

old.sparkles Jul 20th 2014 10:51 am

Originally Posted by McCallister (Post 11342108)
Thanks for the info, and I offer my sincere apologies for being so blatantly sexist ;)

LOL - no worries :)

What type of work do you normally do?

Edit - just seen the switchboard comment - duh!

You could try proactive-tech.co.uk - they always seem to be looking for industrial maintenance sparks around the south-east if you are interested