Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

ARTC for UK electrician with dual residency?

ARTC for UK electrician with dual residency?

Old Nov 6th 2009, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

M1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really nice
Default ARTC for UK electrician with dual residency?

Hi forum peeps,

So I've delayed looking at this for a while but feel I need to get the ball rolling now. My situation is I'm 22 and completed my NVQ3 apprenticeship in 2008, I updated to 17th edition in June 09. Have worked for the same company from Jan 04 – Nov 08 and June 09 to Dec 09, and will be again Feb 2010 onwards (I travel in between) At the moment I’m only working in the UK and just visit Australia for holidays frequently but may move there in the future.

From what I’ve gathered on the forum I need to do the ARTC before applying for a state license. I reside in NSW so that’s the license I want to apply for.

First off is the ARTC the right thing for me as I don’t need it for visa application purposes, only for qualification recognition?

Have I got enough qualifications to pass the assessment?

Is the only test I am going to have to do is a PEER one?

Should I register with the JIB as an electrician before applying so they can see straight away that I’m qualified and classed in the UK?

Thanks for any info,

Mitch
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

M1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really nice
Default Re: ARTC for UK electrician with dual residency?

Actually I've just read on the ARTC for that you first need TRA to apply for it, but I don't need TRA as I'm not applying for a visa. Does anyone know where I stand with getting my UK qualifications assessed then?

Last edited by M1TCH; Nov 13th 2009 at 2:47 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

If you already have residency, all you need do is put in your application for ARTC, it asks you to give details of how you are entittled to PR. if you don't need a visa then TRA is not required. However it's all under the same roof, so easy to get confused.

Regards

Kevin
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:36 am
Just Joined

That's what I gathered from reading up but when you look at the website and the form it says below.. I sent an email off to them yesterday explaining my confusion because of their viscous circle of information. It's pretty obvious, and shouldn't be set up like that but that's good if all I need to do is an ARTC.

'Can I apply?' is:

You need to have:
â–  training and/or experience in a metal or electrical trade
assessed by TRA.

and on the eligibility test for applicants it says:

'If you cannot tick all of the boxes you do
not meet TRA’s minimum criteria for a
successful application.'
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

Mitch,

Re read the statement and clause, the way i read it is, that you must have experience in the field that TRA asseses against, if it is not on the list then you can not apply, Electrical Mechanic is on the list, basically they don't do any other trades other than on the list. Therefor you have the necessary quals and experience.

Later on in the form they ask if you have been assessed before by TRA and you have the opportunity to say no, so if you can not apply then why is this statement on the form.

i applied and was granted a ARTC and mine was not assessed by TRA.

Hope this helps

Kevin S

Last edited by Kevin S; Nov 18th 2009 at 9:48 am.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I think I was just reading it wrong, I emailed ARTC and they confirmed that I could apply and acknowledged that it is misleading on the form..

oh the joys or ARTC here we come!