ARTC trade interview.

Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:17 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC trade interview.

Originally Posted by ozoz
I dont mean to sound rude - but if you dont know what type of switch a start button is you are not an electrician (its usually normally open/but can be normally closed depending on the machine - equipment).
its the green one

innit
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:06 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

I dont mean to sound rude - but if you dont know what type of switch a start button is you are not an electrician (its usually normally open/but can be normally closed depending on the machine - equipment).
I aint been funny but half the ozzy sparks i work with probably couldnt answer a third of them questions! Most of them seem to know how to do it but not why they do it
I would say 50% of your average house bashers back home couldnt answer the motor questions!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:54 am
Just Joined

paul_ben is an unknown quantity at this point

It's ok, I thought that the answer has to be more
specific for TRA, like more definitions and I don't know
how fussy they are.
And because English is not my
main language I'm asking for that help.
It could be very easy for you, but having a technical interview
over the phone in English, you know...
thanks.

Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

ozoz will become famous soon enoughozoz will become famous soon enough

You seem to type english fine , My guess is youve only done commercial and domestic electrics if at all,
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that, but remember that my computer
has a spell check, the telephone doesn't
have a "pronunciation check", yet (?)
The anxiety and my nerves will play a major role there,
I'm going to try to keep the answers in a simple way,
so I don't get panicked and 'tongue tangle' myself...

You seem to type english fine , My guess is youve only done commercial and domestic electrics if at all,
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

ozoz;

dont forget mate some of the sparks here dont ever touch start stop buttons as we know they can be either open or closed but in the interview they be be crapping themself.

art
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

steve`o;

the colours of the flex mate should be brown for Active Black for neutral green yellow for earth.

mind you steve im not to sure on this question seeming ive had very little to do with motors in the past i may have covered in in class at college but can you tell me mate the ans to below.

on a single phase motor what does the centralfugal switch do
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:44 am
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
steve`o;

the colours of the flex mate should be brown for Active Black for neutral green yellow for earth.

mind you steve im not to sure on this question seeming ive had very little to do with motors in the past i may have covered in in class at college but can you tell me mate the ans to below.

it disconnects the start windings that have the capacitor connected acorrs them (windings that is) to create the phase angle so the motor will start. hopeyou understand that, if not give us a shout. sparks.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:28 am
Just Joined

See why I was asking, because what I know is:
Phase: Brown (same as you said)
Neutral: Blue (differs)
Protective/earth: Green/yellow

I also found these:
Current ratings and volt drops for sheathed multi-core p.v.c.-insulated cables
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Figures/Tab4.7.htm

Question 19:
A combination of series and parallel contacts are wired to a hold-on circuit.
The hold-on (self-maintaining) function is achieved by connecting the hold on contactor in parallel to the push button. When the push button is actuated and reopened, the current flows via contactor until a normally closed contact, like a stop button or a limit switch is operated (roller shutters)
The hold-on (self-maintaining) circuit is used to switch machines on and off. The machine is switched on at the input terminals via normally open contact, like a push button and is switched off via normally closed contact like a stop button or a limit switch is operated (roller shutters)

Question 25, I found like 10 tests to be carried out in a circuit, according
to the UK standards (like: Continuity of ring final circuit conductors, site applied insulation, protection by separation) and I couldn't find the
aussie ones.

Q 26:
http://www.startco.ca/library/techin...tion4/4.16.pdf

Hope it helps, thanks!

steve`o;

Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:51 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

steve`o;

9. what colours are the active, neutral and earth in domestic house?

i assume that this refers to spn cabling used to wire houses ( twin n gash )
so like i said red n black
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve`o;

sorry mate i thought he was making refence to flex cable.

thats just another beer i now owe you.????
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:47 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by paul_ben
Question 25, I found like 10 tests to be carried out in a circuit, according
to the UK standards (like: Continuity of ring final circuit conductors, site applied insulation, protection by separation) and I couldn't find the
aussie ones.

Q 26:
http://www.startco.ca/library/techin...tion4/4.16.pdf

Hope it helps, thanks!

lost me the answer to 25 paul
the q was how does an rcd work

http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/pdf/pbcatpg21-22.pdf

Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

With regard to Q 12, Firstly that various a lot depending on conditions!

But my real point is this, the figure I have seen for the carrying capacity for a 1mm cable is greater in Australia than the UK, how can this be as 1mm is 1mm, if anything you would think the UKs cool climate would allow a higher current carrying capacity!

What figures do you guys have for 1mm in Oz, perhaps my source is wrong?

I have been told between 7 and 17 amps, 17 amps seems very high!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

I have just sent my ARTC application off, and am getting worried!

Firstly Q24. what resistance readings should you expect/get when carrying out a continuity test?

Did they say what sort of circuit?

Secondly, I am unsure of industrial questions!

This is the diagram I have drawn as an answer to question 19 am I on the right lines?

I have drawn the switch live in brown simple to identify it from the permanent live.

Feel free to tell me where I have gone wrong!
Attached Thumbnails ARTC trade interview.-hold-on2a.jpg  

Last edited by andym79; Feb 8th 2008 at 6:45 am.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:08 am
Just Joined

It’s been a while since I last posted something.
Obviously, I had the interview over the phone,
and I did OK, I received the certificate and
the QLD work training permit (electrical mechanic).
Now, I have to go through SkillsTech, to do the 39093QLD
course (has anyone knows about it?)
and get a job to do: ON JOB training
work, filling in a log book.
I would like to add some other questions that
I’ve been through:
-How does a transformer work? (regarding the eddy currents)
-What to consider to install an AC on a domestic installation? (adding it to
an existing switch board, voltage drop, etc)
-How do you perform insulation resistance test?
-How do you perform a polarity test?
-Q8 plus: How do you connect a distribution board? (earth, bus bar, etc.)
And some other ones that I don’t remember now

Originally Posted by andym79
Hi,

I have just sent my ARTC application off, and am getting worried!

Firstly Q24. what resistance readings should you expect/get when carrying out a continuity test?

Did they say what sort of circuit?

Secondly, I am unsure of industrial questions!

This is the diagram I have drawn as an answer to question 19 am I on the right lines?

I have drawn the switch live in brown simple to identify it from the permanent live.

Feel free to tell me where I have gone wrong!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.