British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   ARTC trade interview. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/artc-trade-interview-451937/)

sparks124 May 21st 2007 9:59 am

ARTC trade interview.

dont know how many of us are waiting on a discission from the bods in melbourne about whether your an "Aussie spark" or not, but just to let you know i had a phone call from them asking if i could do a trade interview for them. well your not going to say no are you:huh: i dont know if everyone has to do one or i just drew the short straw again but if anyone out there gets the same phone call dont worry to much about it its really quite simple to get through. be low i have listed all the questions that i can remember, they probably arent all there as i didnt have time to write them all down b ut have listed all i do remember. i'll try to put them in order but please dont shoot me if there not.

1. what is Ohms law? V=IxR
2. use ohms law to work out a current value (V=240 R=40)
3. power question, voltage=240 power=2400W what is the current draw?
4. what are the components in a florescent fitting?
5. what is the capacitor for in the florescent fitting?
6. name two types of over current protection devices?
7. explain how to wire a two way switch?
8. name the components in a switch board (fuse board)?
9. what colours are the active, neutral and earth in domestic house?
10. what international colours are the conductors in a flex/extension lead?
11. what is the current rating of 2.5mm?
12. what is the current rating of 1.00mm?
13. can you use a different size cable to complete a circuit if you run out what you are using?
14. in a screw in lamp holder which is the active?
15. how do you reverse a three phase motor?
16. how do star delta starters work?
17. on a single phase motor what does the centralfugal switch do?
18. how do you reverse a capacitor start single phase motor?
19. how do you wire a hold on contactor?
20. what type of switch is the start button?
21. what type of switch is the stop button?
22. what test must you do before powering up a circuit that you have been working on?
23. what test instrument do you use to do an insulation resistance test?
24. what resistance readings should you expect/get when carrying out a continuity test?
25. how does an rcd (safety switch work)?
26. what can make the the overloads operate when a star delta three phase motor starts?

thats about as many as i can remember for now, if i think of any more i will post them.
if you do get the call from the TRA dont panic they arent that bad and will try to guid you to the right answer if you need it. it toke me about twenty minutes to do, but does depend each person and can take 45.

hope thats of some help to some one.

lilstewie May 21st 2007 10:57 am

Re: ARTC trade interview.

Originally Posted by sparks124 (Post 4808867)
dont know how many of us are waiting on a discission from the bods in melbourne about whether your an "Aussie spark" or not, but just to let you know i had a phone call from them asking if i could do a trade interview for them. well your not going to say no are you:huh: i dont know if everyone has to do one or i just drew the short straw again but if anyone out there gets the same phone call dont worry to much about it its really quite simple to get through. be low i have listed all the questions that i can remember, they probably arent all there as i didnt have time to write them all down b ut have listed all i do remember. i'll try to put them in order but please dont shoot me if there not.

13. can you use a different size cable to complete a circuit if you run out what you are using?
22. what test must you do before powering up a circuit that you have been working on?
24. what resistance readings should you expect/get when carrying out a continuity test?
26. what can make the the overloads operate when a star delta three phase motor starts?

thats about as many as i can remember for now, if i think of any more i will post them.
if you do get the call from the TRA dont panic they arent that bad and will try to guid you to the right answer if you need it. it toke me about twenty minutes to do, but does depend each person and can take 45.

Cheers for that, it's similar to the stuff a fella on another forum had to answer. It may be my imagination, but they seem to be pinging a few people for these phone tests.
When did you apply for your ARTC by the way??Mine went in on the 2nd May, so hopefully be hearing something soon.

thewoodz May 21st 2007 4:13 pm

thanks for taking the time to post the info.

steve`o May 21st 2007 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by sparks124 (Post 4808867)

thats a really good post mate and thanks for sharing the info :thumbsup:

s-jmelbournewannabe Oct 16th 2007 8:14 pm

I know this is an old post but had to say a massive thanks for that information. Very informative, we are waiting for something of that nature i think. but not sure if just failed as they rec'd ARTC app on the 15th of Sept.. been really lucky with passing TRA and got visa very quick so waiting for em to stick 2 fingers up at us :rofl:

Thanks again, am gonna run up the stairs now with lappy to show Simon.. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

S-jxx

steve`o Oct 16th 2007 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe (Post 5433198)
I know this is an old post but had to say a massive thanks for that information. Very informative,

yeah totaly agree

perhaps a mod will make this into a sticky for the top of the page as its so relavant to our application process

regards steve

s-jmelbournewannabe Oct 16th 2007 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 5433289)
yeah totaly agree

perhaps a mod will make this into a sticky for the top of the page as its so relavant to our application process

regards steve

I was thinking of asking that myself, Si just read it and was thrown with a couple of questions though... What colour is the domestic active neutral and earth... is the same as UK? he's stuck on Q.16-18 though he's not a maintainence sparkie and can only just remember a class covering it in college... Is it important he knows all the answers Steve?

Anyone know if the new regs are out yet as peer still not got back to me.. :unsure: need to send off for them ASAP we go soon..

S-j x

steve`o Oct 16th 2007 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe (Post 5433362)
I was thinking of asking that myself, Si just read it and was thrown with a couple of questions though... What colour is the domestic active neutral and earth... is the same as UK? he's stuck on Q.16-18 though he's not a maintainence sparkie and can only just remember a class covering it in college... Is it important he knows all the answers Steve?

Anyone know if the new regs are out yet as peer still not got back to me.. :unsure: need to send off for them ASAP we go soon..

S-j x

active red
neutral black

http://www.wiringmanual.com/motor039.html#wp1286028

http://www.lmphotonics.com/single_phase_m.htm

regards steve

s-jmelbournewannabe Oct 16th 2007 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 5433400)

Cheers Steve, Are the new regs out yet?

S-j:thumbsup: Just passin the lappy over to him now so he can read, thanks for your help Steve. x

steve`o Oct 16th 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe (Post 5433430)
Cheers Steve, Are the new regs out yet?

S-j:thumbsup: Just passin the lappy over to him now so he can read, thanks for your help Steve. x

nope on hold yet again

look at sai

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script...AS778112015227

s-jmelbournewannabe Oct 16th 2007 9:38 pm

crap!! not helping him as books on hold till they do........ he wants to get on with it... very impatient our Simon :rofl:

Thanks for the info he's just had a good read and gone... Ahhh, i remember now!! ...... :lol:

Cheers S-j x

paul_ben Oct 23rd 2007 7:20 am

Great post!,
Can anyone help me with the questions 19,20,21,22,23 and 26,
cause I'm not sure of the regulations/standards in Australia
and I will be having a phone interview this Friday 26/11/2007 :ohmy:...
And what other questions are they going to be asking me :frown:

thanks in advance :thumbup:

ozoz Oct 23rd 2007 10:58 pm

Same as england, If you have served your time you should be abale to answer those questions straight away

What type of switch is a start button ???? you are joking are you not

paul_ben Oct 24th 2007 5:58 am

Sorry, but I'm not from England, and I thought that
I could get some help out from this forum, that's why I'm asking about the
regulations and the differences on those questions.

Originally Posted by ozoz (Post 5459704)
Same as england, If you have served your time you should be abale to answer those questions straight away

What type of switch is a start button ???? you are joking are you not

ozoz Oct 24th 2007 6:15 am

I dont mean to sound rude - but if you dont know what type of switch a start button is you are not an electrician (its usually normally open/but can be normally closed depending on the machine - equipment).