British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   ARTC Question's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/artc-questions-570959/)

Mike Mitchell 1981 Nov 3rd 2008 6:30 pm

ARTC Question's

Hi all

I have finally got round to being just about ready to send off my ARTC application form but I have a few questions.
Firstly this might sound abit daft but how have most people paid for it? I am still living in the UK, would a postal order suffice?
Secondly I need to write a stat dec as the company I served my time with closed down, can I write a stat dec on a Australian stat dec form and get my brother in law to sign it as he is a policeman? or alternatively I have a friend in OZ who is also a policeman who I could send it to, and ask him to sign it and send on my application form.:)

thanks

Mike

steve`o Nov 4th 2008 3:04 am

Re: ARTC Question's

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981 (Post 6936466)
Hi all

I have finally got round to being just about ready to send off my ARTC application form but I have a few questions.
Firstly this might sound abit daft but how have most people paid for it? I am still living in the UK, would a postal order suffice?
Secondly I need to write a stat dec as the company I served my time with closed down, can I write a stat dec on a Australian stat dec form and get my brother in law to sign it as he is a policeman? or alternatively I have a friend in OZ who is also a policeman who I could send it to, and ask him to sign it and send on my application form.:)

thanks

Mike

as you have to make the payment in au dollars you`ll need a foreign money order ( all banks can do this but some take the piss hitting you on the exchange rate and a admin fee -- so its ask first pay later )

re the stat dec thing i thought that a solicitor had to witness you signing it as being truthful??
so i dont think the sending it away to be countersigned would fly ??
but i may be wrong on this one ;)

Mike Mitchell 1981 Nov 4th 2008 4:51 pm

Hi Steve O

Thanks for the advice ill look into the stat dec and see whats what.

If you wouldn't mind Steve I would like your opinion on the route I should go down for aquiring my licence presuming I am successful with my ARTC application. I am a maintenace electrician and moving to the Goldcoast on Dec 28th, I understand you acquired your licence in queensland but from researching here it seems that most people are going down the route of going to PEER.

Thanks

Mike

steve`o Nov 4th 2008 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981 (Post 6939921)
Hi Steve O

Thanks for the advice ill look into the stat dec and see whats what.

If you wouldn't mind Steve I would like your opinion on the route I should go down for aquiring my licence presuming I am successful with my ARTC application. I am a maintenace electrician and moving to the Goldcoast on Dec 28th, I understand you acquired your licence in queensland but from researching here it seems that most people are going down the route of going to PEER.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

yes by far the fastest way is to do it via peer, you can do the course via correspondance and fly down for a refresher and test ( usually 3 days ) or
do the three weeks course.

peer.com.au remember the web sites shite and should only be used for geting contact details

so you coming to my part of the world, ( where abous in the GC are you moving too ?? ) your more than welcome to pop around for some something to eat / beer etc when you arrive and if you need any local info just ask

regards steve & debra

Mike Mitchell 1981 Nov 4th 2008 7:26 pm

We are intially staying with friends at Arundel until we get a rental but thinking of renting around the coomera area. Thanks very much for your help.

I really can't decide what to do! I suppose I don't really want to fly to Adelaide to do the course but I guess it's about weighing up the pro's and con's.

Is the exam a similiar format to the 16th edition exam where its all about knowing where to find the info in the book?

cheers

Mike :thumbsup:

steve`o Nov 4th 2008 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981 (Post 6940465)
We are intially staying with friends at Arundel until we get a rental but thinking of renting around the coomera area. Thanks very much for your help.

I really can't decide what to do! I suppose I don't really want to fly to Adelaide to do the course but I guess it's about weighing up the pro's and con's.

Is the exam a similiar format to the 16th edition exam where its all about knowing where to find the info in the book?

cheers

dont know about the peer one as i sat the qld wiring exam which was mostley multilple choice re regs with some calcs for max demand and VD

Jambo Nov 7th 2008 9:21 am

New member to the expats forum. Like many others, been worried about getting ARTC.
I've come so far down the road, sent off my 175 visa and am waiting for reply. BUT, if I don't get the ARTC, it means I can;t work as sparkie???

It seems a bit of a strange situation, they let you apply and you spend all that money, then the last minute, you have to re-apply for the certificate.

P.S. - I didn't apply via TRA, so it's the first time dealing with them!!

steve`o Nov 7th 2008 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Jambo (Post 6949125)
New member to the expats forum. Like many others, been worried about getting ARTC.
I've come so far down the road, sent off my 175 visa and am waiting for reply. BUT, if I don't get the ARTC, it means I can;t work as sparkie???

It seems a bit of a strange situation, they let you apply and you spend all that money, then the last minute, you have to re-apply for the certificate.

P.S. - I didn't apply via TRA, so it's the first time dealing with them!!

so are you on your wifes visa ???

Jambo Nov 7th 2008 10:57 am

First of all Steve, It's an honour to speak to you (albeit via forum). Read a lot of your posts an very informative

It's a bit of a long story but, after apprenticeship, I worked in industrial factories etc and then I embarked on a part time degree course.
So officially, I'm classed as an Electrical Engineer and therefore passed my skills assessment via Engineers Australia.
But, working in a small engineering company for the last 16 years and having experience coming through the "shopfloor" as it were, I regulary work on site on the installation side. (plus I enjoy the installation, fault -finding etc side of the job)

I am looking at working as an electrician or on the Engineering side. But reading other threads, it dosn't seem a clear cut as this. My jobs tend to overlap so one day in office designing, ordering equipment etc, the next few days, on site carrying out the installation

So sorry to go on a bit. That's my situation.

I hope this makes sense

Cheers Steve

steve`o Nov 7th 2008 3:52 pm

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jambo (Post 6949355)
First of all Steve, It's an honour to speak to you (albeit via forum). Read a lot of your posts an very informative

It's a bit of a long story but, after apprenticeship, I worked in industrial factories etc and then I embarked on a part time degree course.
So officially, I'm classed as an Electrical Engineer and therefore passed my skills assessment via Engineers Australia.
But, working in a small engineering company for the last 16 years and having experience coming through the "shopfloor" as it were, I regulary work on site on the installation side. (plus I enjoy the installation, fault -finding etc side of the job)

I am looking at working as an electrician or on the Engineering side. But reading other threads, it dosn't seem a clear cut as this. My jobs tend to overlap so one day in office designing, ordering equipment etc, the next few days, on site carrying out the installation

So sorry to go on a bit. That's my situation.

I hope this makes sense

Cheers Steve

if youve had a formal apprenticeship you shouldnt really have any problems being assessed for an artc as thats the main bit that they are after, just make sure that when your doing your work experiance / evidence and refs that you cover the basic requirements of an aussie trades person

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?
You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the broad range of work normally done by, and to the same level of skill as, a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and /or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have adequate background/theoretical knowledge.

ive posted a ref and my work experiance to give you an idea of what i`m on about, its probably going to be easier to write your own refs and get your former employers to put it on headed paper rather than expecting them to do a detailed reference.
the mr smith worked here from a to b and was diligent trustworthy etc kind of ref isnt going to be of any help

O one last thing please no more of the honour to speak to you bollox i`m a working sparkie just the same as all the other blokes on here ;)

hope this has been of some use to you

regards steve

steve`o Nov 7th 2008 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981 (Post 6940465)

cheers

arundels not far mate you`ll have to come around when your here ;)

Jambo Nov 7th 2008 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 6950351)
arundels not far mate you`ll have to come around when your here ;)

Thanks Steve

I have everything ready - just waiting for visa to come through then I can send it all off to TRA. I've got about 60 pages in total, I have maybe gone a bit over the top, but want the ARTC first time.
Included plenty of photos and job examples etc.

daviec33 Nov 8th 2008 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jambo (Post 6950963)
Thanks Steve

I have everything ready - just waiting for visa to come through then I can send it all off to TRA. I've got about 60 pages in total, I have maybe gone a bit over the top, but want the ARTC first time.
Included plenty of photos and job examples etc.

60 pages will clinch it mate!

I sent off 40 pages and got mine back in 14 days!. I think they get bored after 10 or 12! :-D

Thanks to Steve as well if he's reading this, I was previously registered as sparkatrician!

Cheers Steve

One word of warning though, Mine's was posted to an aussie address where a female friend stays addressed to me, but Australia post wouldn't give it to her as she is a female and I'm obviously a bloke, I had to write a letter stating I stayed at her address and that i was overseas and authorized her to take delivery and sign for any mail addressed to me. I then scanned the the letter and emailed it to her, when she produced it and her own NSW drivers license with he same address they were happy to let her sign for it!