ARTC Questions

Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Mitchell 1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARTC Questions

Hi

Just been looking through the ARTC application form and I have a few questions. If I use a friends address in Oz (to speed things up) what date do I put on the form for date entered Australia? Obviously ill still be in the uk. Is it just a case of putting any date down thats around the time of me sending the form off? Ill ask friends just to say ill ring them back if ARTC call.

Secondly the company I served my time with closed down and shipped production to the czech republic so ill have no way of getting a reference from anyone. The company no longer exists in the uk. Ill be able to get a reference from my current employer where i have worked for the last 5 years.

Also I am struggling to remember how many hours I spent at college. is this again just a rough idea?

Thanks

Mike
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC Questions

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981
Hi

Just been looking through the ARTC application form and I have a few questions. If I use a friends address in Oz (to speed things up) what date do I put on the form for date entered Australia? Obviously ill still be in the uk. Is it just a case of putting any date down thats around the time of me sending the form off? Ill ask friends just to say ill ring them back if ARTC call.

Secondly the company I served my time with closed down and shipped production to the czech republic so ill have no way of getting a reference from anyone. The company no longer exists in the uk. Ill be able to get a reference from my current employer where i have worked for the last 5 years.

Also I am struggling to remember how many hours I spent at college. is this again just a rough idea?

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike,

Yes an approximate date will do, I guess as long as it's not something like a year. A month or two would be fine though.

Maybe get a stat dec for the last company? just to be on the safe side.

Yup, we put in an educated guess for the college part.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Wendy

Is the Stat dec just wrote from me saying what tasks I did there and what my job description was and so on and so on?

I am just trying to make a start on things as I am sick of waiting for our 1 year of living together to come round before we can send off for the visa. we can apply on May the 11th. we get married in july though so my girlfriend spends all her time looking at wedding things whilst I spend all my time reading up on here!

Mike
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy

Is the Stat dec just wrote from me saying what tasks I did there and what my job description was and so on and so on?

I am just trying to make a start on things as I am sick of waiting for our 1 year of living together to come round before we can send off for the visa. we can apply on May the 11th. we get married in july though so my girlfriend spends all her time looking at wedding things whilst I spend all my time reading up on here!

Mike
A stat dec is a legal document, it takes the format of a written statement declared to be true in the presence of a solicitor. In your case, it would detail that you worked for X comany from Y date to Z date as a full time electrician, and that the company is no longer trading in the UK. It wouldn't have to be too in depth, as you could cover that part in your own written statement.

A bit more info on Stat Decs here: http://www.ag.gov.au/statdec

Congratulations on your wedding
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for your help wendy

Mike
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks again for your help wendy

Mike

No problem
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Wendy

I have just been reading another thread you have posted on and do you think for the company I worked for that closed down I could get a friend that worked with me there to write a reference? He was an Electrician whilst I was an apprentice and then he took a job in one of the production departments as a team leader.

Thanks

Mike
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:26 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy

I have just been reading another thread you have posted on and do you think for the company I worked for that closed down I could get a friend that worked with me there to write a reference? He was an Electrician whilst I was an apprentice and then he took a job in one of the production departments as a team leader.

Thanks

Mike
write it your self and get him to sign it or dec stat it if required
this way you get to include all the relevant info you need

a copy of one of mine

Re – Steven xxxxxxxx – Work Reference

To whom it may concern

Dear Sir / Madam

Sorry if this reference is a little long winded but Steven has asked for as much information as possible to be included;

Stevens’s role within our company

Steven has filled three distinct positions whilst working for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Electrical
I will deal with each in the order that they were attained

Firstly Steven joined our company on the 21st October 1991 as an approved electrician
In this position he worked on site carrying out the rewiring and refurbishment of small electrical installations working from architects drawings and specifications, completing works to BS 7671 and NIC Standards
BS 7671 being the British Standard for electrical installations
NIC being short for the National Inspection council for Electrical Installation Contracting.
We have been NIC approved company since 1957

Secondly in July 1993 Steven was promoted to site supervisor
This entailed all the previous with the added responsibility of a small team of electricians working under his guidance, the ordering of materials and the reporting of variations / additional works to the contracts manager running the project. In this role Steven was given larger installations to complete

Thirdly from October 1996 he took up added responsibility as one of our N.I.C. supervisors
As Steven had been to college and successfully completed the City & Guilds Testing & Verification Course. This consisted of the same work as the site supervisor with the added responsibility of making sure that his projects were tested to both BS and NIC standards, verifying NIC certificates, and finally meeting the NIC inspector once a year during our companies annual NIC inspection

I don’t know if this is relevant or not but Steven was offered the next logical step
ie a management position ( contracts manager ) but declined as he preferred to work on site with his hands rather than sit behind a desk.

Steven left xxxxxxxxxxxx Electrical in April 2003

Types of installations completed by Steven

As the majority of our projects are for clients within the leisure industry, Public houses, clubs, hotels & restaurants the type and range of installations work covered by our company is very diverse

For example:-

A typical installation will contain the following systems of wiring

Three phase incoming main distribution boards and sub distribution boards wired in steel wired armoured cabling with incoming supplies ranging from 100amp to 630amp per phase

Sub circuits for lighting & power normally wired in 6264Y ( twin & earth cabling )
But depending on location and licence required may be wired in either soft bodied Fire Protected cables or Mineral insulated cables

Fire alarms both conventional and analogue addressable wired in either soft bodied Fire Protected cables or Mineral insulated cables

Emergency lighting systems wired in 6264Y ( twin & earth cabling )
But again depending on location and licence required may be wired in either soft bodied Fire Protected cables or Mineral insulated cables

Many of our installations also require quite complex interfaces to be wired

for example:-

Fire alarm interfaces controlling the shut down of gas, music & ventilation systems

Dimmers controllers interfaced to both the Fire alarm and Burglar alarms to raise light levels in case of emergencies

Ventilation lock out systems which are designed to cut of the gas if the ventilation in the commercial kitchen fails

Daily work routine

Based on our Normal working hours of 7.30am – 5.30pm Mon – Fri

As a site electrician he will have spent fifteen minutes each morning checking that the correct materials were available and setting up the days work, nine hours working and another fifteen minutes at the end of the day to ensure that additional materials he required were reported to his supervisor to be made available for the next days work

As a site supervisor he will have spent forty five minutes each morning checking that the correct materials were on site and setting up the days work with his team, eight and a half hours working and another fifteen minutes at the end of the day to ensure that materials etc were ordered and made available for the next days work

As NIC supervisor he will have spent the same time each day on site as a supervisor with
The exception of one day a month in the office checking that months certificates and two days each year preparing for and meeting with the local NIC inspector

In the time that Steven worked for our company ( almost twelve years ) I estimate that he will have worked on at least sixty different projects for us, and I can honestly say that I have always found his work to be of a high standard and therefore would not hesitate in recommending him as an electrical installation contractor

If you need any further information please feel free to contact me on the numbers shown

Regards

xxxxxxxxxxx
Contracts director
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

ok thanks for that Steve

Mike