British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   ARTC problems (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/artc-problems-811175/)

wateroz Oct 4th 2013 1:14 pm

ARTC problems

I've been working as an unlicensed sparkie for an electrical contractor for almost a year in NSW. Getting the license here is really damn hard.

I ended up doing the Cert III course with TAFE which will take 3 yrs to finish it plus 4 yrs apprenticeship. I'm finishing the 2nd terms at TAFE. It really drives me crazy as I need to go through what I've learnt all over again. It did refresh me the basic things but I'm sort of wasting my time and my past 8 yrs previous elect. work exp doesnt help with it, which is absurd I reckon. I should stop whinging for a second :D

I've decided to try ARTC/PEER route in SA then transfer it to nsw, but am bamboozled by a few things about ARTC.
1. Does my current job as an unlicensed sparky help making ARTC easier to get?
2. Is a log book for proof of at least 12-month local work exp. required for ARTC?
3. What is the trade test of ARTC about?

Hope anybody who knows the thing can get me around this hurdle.

Thanks heaps!

old.sparkles Oct 4th 2013 1:26 pm

Re: ARTC problems

Originally Posted by wateroz (Post 10930259)
I've been working as an unlicensed sparkie for an electrical contractor for almost a year in NSW. Getting the license here is really damn hard.

I ended up doing the Cert III course with TAFE which will take 3 yrs to finish it plus 4 yrs apprenticeship. I'm finishing the 2nd terms at TAFE. It really drives me crazy as I need to go through what I've learnt all over again. It did refresh me the basic things but I'm sort of wasting my time and my past 8 yrs previous elect. work exp doesnt help with it, which is absurd I reckon. I should stop whinging for a second :D

I've decided to try ARTC/PEER route in SA then transfer it to nsw, but am bamboozled by a few things about ARTC.
1. Does my current job as an unlicensed sparky help making ARTC easier to get?
2. Is a log book for proof of at least 12-month local work exp. required for ARTC?
3. What is the trade test of ARTC about?

Hope anybody who knows the thing can get me around this hurdle.

Thanks heaps!

Have you read through the guidelines at all?

Edit - sorry should also ask where you qualified as a sparky - what quals you have - and do you have OTSR?

wateroz Oct 4th 2013 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10930277)
Have you read through the guidelines at all?

Edit - sorry should also ask where you qualified as a sparky - what quals you have - and do you have OTSR?

I did read the guidelines but want the advice from someone who has actually experienced it :)
I got my licence from Hong Kong (Just for info, the wiring rules there are based on IEE reg/ bs 7671). I got a diploma and a higher diploma in electrical engineering. I also finished an Aussie degree in electrical engg. later on.
I'm on spouse visa so don't have OTSR and ARTC.
THX :thumbsup:

old.sparkles Oct 4th 2013 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by wateroz (Post 10930312)
I did read the guidelines but want the advice from someone who has actually experienced it :)
I got my licence from Hong Kong (Just for info, the wiring rules there are based on IEE reg/ bs 7671). I got a diploma and a higher diploma in electrical engineering. I also finished an Aussie degree in electrical engg. later on.
I'm on spouse visa so don't have OTSR and ARTC.
THX :thumbsup:

I don't have ARTC as you can't get it from UK - I have OTSR. You could try for OTSR, but both have similar processes - you need to submit your qualifications and references for checking first. In the last couple of years, ARTC has become tougher and more expensive.

I did look at your history after posting, and could see you've had advice on this before. Do you have detailed references that spell out the electrical work you have done in the past?

wateroz Oct 4th 2013 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10930334)
I don't have ARTC as you can't get it from UK - I have OTSR. You could try for OTSR, but both have similar processes - you need to submit your qualifications and references for checking first. In the last couple of years, ARTC has become tougher and more expensive.

I did look at your history after posting, and could see you've had advice on this before. Do you have detailed references that spell out the electrical work you have done in the past?

I think OTSR may not be suitable for me. I know it's getting hard but I still want to give it a go.
Yes I asked for help but that wasn't pertaining to ARTC/PEER route.
I'm preparing the paperwork and have talked with my ex employers about that. How detailed is it required for the references?
Thanks

steve`o Oct 4th 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by wateroz (Post 10930393)
I think OTSR may not be suitable for me. I know it's getting hard but I still want to give it a go.
Yes I asked for help but that wasn't pertaining to ARTC/PEER route.
I'm preparing the paperwork and have talked with my ex employers about that. How detailed is it required for the references?
Thanks

have a read of this mate

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731125

regards steve

old.sparkles Oct 4th 2013 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 10930568)
have a read of this mate

regards steve

From what I've been told, they wouldn't be good enough anymore

steve`o Oct 4th 2013 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10930583)
From what I've been told, they wouldn't be good enough anymore

i cannot see how you can say that?

a reference for artc purposes is basically only a description of work done
written down to cover the points that the tra are looking for

ie what work would an "Australia" skilled person be expected to be able to do in the eyes of the tra,

so sorry i`d have to disagree with you on that point and advise people to write there references in the same manner covered all the points required / mentioned in that particular post

regard Steve

old.sparkles Oct 4th 2013 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 10930819)
i cannot see how you can say that?

a reference for artc purposes is basically only a description of work done
written down to cover the points that the tra are looking for

ie what work would an "Australia" skilled person be expected to be able to do in the eyes of the tra,

so sorry i`d have to disagree with you on that point and advise people to write there references in the same manner covered all the points required / mentioned in that particular post

regard Steve

Can only go on what I was told, as I never applied for ARTC - I had references written following your format and was told 'might' be okay but really need more detail. Also my apprentice papers were British Steel not AM2. Still, its only $1000 to find out if they are okay. Have you seen the new application form?

wateroz Oct 11th 2013 10:03 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 10930568)
have a read of this mate

regards steve

Hi Steve, Thank you for that. Actually I had read that post before I posted this thread. It's really useful for me as a reference to prepare the paperwork.
Back to my questions, will it be helpful to put my current job references of being an unlicensed sparkie in NSW into the submission?
Were you required to do a trade test during the TRA's assessment? I
Thanks

steve`o Oct 12th 2013 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by wateroz (Post 10939864)
Hi Steve, Thank you for that. Actually I had read that post before I posted this thread. It's really useful for me as a reference to prepare the paperwork.
Back to my questions, will it be helpful to put my current job references of being an unlicensed sparkie in NSW into the submission?
Were you required to do a trade test during the TRA's assessment? I
Thanks

IMO all references count towards showing that you are a qualified sparky, just remember to get the points across as discussed in the artc what should i write thread, offer to write it your self and get it put on the companies headed paper, references that go joe blogss worked here from // to ar`nt worth the paper they are written on,

and no sorry i didnt have to do an artc trade test, others on this forum have do a search and it`ll through some threads up re this,

good luck

steve