ARTC or OTSR? Anyone help?

Old Sep 15th 2013, 2:50 pm
Perth calling...

Andy the spark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARTC or OTSR? Anyone help?

Hi ,

I am UK qualified Sparky and heading out to Australia late Jan next year. I am Aus born so have an Aussie passport.

I have always been told to ignore OTSR and apply straight for an ARTC once I get to Aus as I'm a citizen, however you can only apply for ARTC once you're actually in Aus and then it takes 3 months to be granted.

Someone recently told me it might be quicker to apply for an OTSR while I'm still here in UK.

Does anyone know the difference between an OTSR and an ARTC?

Is there such a thing as a "provisional license"? And do you need either an OTSR or ARTC to apply for one?

Very confusing trying to work out what you're supposed to do and the things that are best for me in my situation.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice
Default Re: ARTC or OTSR? Anyone help?

here is your info after simple search

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...93&postcount=4
Old Sep 15th 2013, 11:27 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

With everything changing, obtaining an ARTC is getting harder and doesn't help with getting a license over the OTSR in many states. Recently, NSW refused to accept an ARTC for gap training and that person came to SA to do wiring rules and get full A license from SA.

I believe overseas sparkies with ARTC in WA now do the same process as those with OTSR, and there is still talk of the national licensing.

Have a look at the ARTC guidelines and application process on the TRA site to see what you would need if going this route. Also check out the licensing requirements of the state you are hoping to move to to see if there are any advantages. You will need either ARTC or OTSR to get provisional license.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

jimcz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Recently, NSW refused to accept an ARTC for gap training and that person came to SA to do wiring rules and get full A license from SA...
Hi, just a small specification of this information because I believe I'm the person being mentioned here. My ARTC wasn't refused by the NSW licensing board itself. I was just strongly advised not to use it as wasting time and money by the officer who I was supposed to hand my application in. (But he might just have been misinformed, I can't be sure). After that, I decided to go SA Peer route and now I'm glad I've done it...
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:51 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimcz
Hi, just a small specification of this information because I believe I'm the person being mentioned here. My ARTC wasn't refused by the NSW licensing board itself. I was just strongly advised not to use it as wasting time and money by the officer who I was supposed to hand my application in. (But he might just have been misinformed, I can't be sure). After that, I decided to go SA Peer route and now I'm glad I've done it...
Thanks jimcz - it was you I was thinking of
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Pommy.nige is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi jimcz

You are the last poster I've seen entering the licence minefield. It seems changes are happening fast and frequent.

How did your peer route go? Did you still have to get a ARTC as a course requirement? Also did they make you do any distance learning or gap training/ log book nonsense in addition to the ANZ course content?? Most importantly did they give you your licence upon completion, and allow you to transfer states!!!?

-currently in uk. I've worked in Aus as a restricted sparky on a WHV, now gained full skilled migration, but looking for the best/fastest way to get my licence when i return in feb-

Any up to date info greatly appreciated:-)))
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

jimcz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, if I remember correctly, PEER won't even enroll you without having ARTC or some other local "electrical qualification". And even if they did, you would need it later for SA licensing board anyway.

No, no gap or distance learning wasn't required. After finishing the course, I applied for my license in SA and after 4 weeks it came to my address in NSW. Later, I didn't have any problem to get NSW license under mutual recognition agreement.

I believe this is the fastest route how to avoid all the bul***t around licensing

Good luck
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info jimcz! Big help

My only drama now is if they won't give me a ARTC because I have a OTSR.!!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

whaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm a bit confused.

If you have an OTSR, why do you think you need to apply for an ARTC aswell? They are both different means to the same end (prov license and course enrolment)

Is that not right?
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi

You need a OTSR from vetasses for skilled migration. Everything ive read so far post your visa being granted slates the OTSR, as Australia pigeon holes you into needing additional 'gap training' a 6-12 month apprentice like NVQ log book.

The ATRC gets you recognition of prior learning, and access to the TAFE course gaining your full licence upon completion (if passing obviously!) without log book.

Has anyone used the OTSR to do a peer course and not done gap training/log book?

Im open to being corrected if any of this is wrong!:-)
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pommy.nige
Hi

You need a OTSR from vetasses for skilled migration. Everything ive read so far post your visa being granted slates the OTSR, as Australia pigeon holes you into needing additional 'gap training' a 6-12 month apprentice like NVQ log book.

The ATRC gets you recognition of prior learning, and access to the TAFE course gaining your full licence upon completion (if passing obviously!) without log book.

Has anyone used the OTSR to do a peer course and not done gap training/log book?

Im open to being corrected if any of this is wrong!:-)
From what I've heard, ARTC holders have to do gap training everywhere except SA - and SA will be changing there rules soon. I've only heard of a couple of sparks on here getting through to full license so far, but when I did gap training - half already had jobs (out of 6) - and since then I think the others did. You can do gap training at PEER as well. If headed for SA, speak to Skills for All / Skilled Migrant Services and they will fund the training
Old Oct 11th 2013, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Hi old sparkles

How long did your gap training take you? Pain in the arse or pretty easy?....

Thanks for funding info.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 8:50 am

Hi old sparkles

How long did your gap training take you? Pain in the arse or pretty easy?....

Thanks for funding info.
The classroom stuff is 10 days spread over three weeks with homework. There's tests on OH&S (we spent 2 days on this inc. test), rescue from live electrics and first aid (1 day), Max demands, current carrying capacities, etc and wiring regs in general (2 tests on days 8 and 9) and practical testing of domestic board finding all the faults deliberately put on, on the last day as well. If you've failed either of the two tests on regs you get the opportunity to repeat them on the last day as the prac is only half day. Only did MACGT in July - working on log book now.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Got my residency validated but......Negative outcome of my ARTC application� ���

Last time I spoke to peer, they told me I'd need an ARTC to enrol on their transfer course. Can anyone shed any light on that, or perhaps suggest any alternative route to A grade.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:27 pm

Got my residency validated but......Negative outcome of my ARTC application������

Last time I spoke to peer, they told me I'd need an ARTC to enrol on their transfer course. Can anyone shed any light on that, or perhaps suggest any alternative route to A grade.

Thanks in advance!
If you have OTSR then you need to do MACGT which can be done at Peer. If you are in Adelaide it's worth a visit to Skills For All in the CBD as they can fund the gap training for you. If you've already found work, keep a log book of work you are doing with photos, and you can use that as evidence.

Anyone with OTSR will be refused ARTC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.