British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   ARTC for NIC Part P Domestic Installer Electrician (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/artc-nic-part-p-domestic-installer-electrician-735861/)

doogal Oct 16th 2011 9:17 pm

ARTC for NIC Part P Domestic Installer Electrician

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions about getting my quals and experience recognised in Oz... if anyone has been through the system with the same level of qualifications and experience as me, I would be really interested in hearing about it... I'll explain a little about where I am...

I am currently applying with TRA as a gas fitter for the purposes of a visa (it's cheaper than using VETASSESS as an electrician). However, I would also like my electrical qualifications and experience recognised. I understand that if TRA successfully assessed me and issued an ARTC, then once some additional training had been done with PEER in SA or CET in WA, a full grade A license can be obtained.

My uncertainty is that I don't have C&G 2360 or 2330... I am just an NIC registered Domestic Installer, with a full scope license and 17th Edition. I have plenty of experience rewiring houses, fault finding, testing and certifying but only in the domestic field. I'm not sure if my quals and experience will be enough for an ARTC?

Has anyone else on this forum applied for ARTC, only being a Domestic Installer?

My other question is about when to apply... I have read that a few people on here have applied for ARTC whilst still being in the UK (from a thread in Sept 2011)... I thought that an ARTC can only being applied for with a valid visa to work and an Aussie address? Can anyone who has any experience of this tell me how they managed to apply whilst still in the UK? Did you give an Aussie address on your app or were you honest?

Thanks in advance guys - this forum is sooooo helpful!

derren7 Oct 17th 2011 4:49 pm

Re: ARTC for NIC Part P Domestic Installer Electrician

Originally Posted by doogal (Post 9678305)
Hi there,

I have a couple of questions about getting my quals and experience recognised in Oz... if anyone has been through the system with the same level of qualifications and experience as me, I would be really interested in hearing about it... I'll explain a little about where I am...

I am currently applying with TRA as a gas fitter for the purposes of a visa (it's cheaper than using VETASSESS as an electrician). However, I would also like my electrical qualifications and experience recognised. I understand that if TRA successfully assessed me and issued an ARTC, then once some additional training had been done with PEER in SA or CET in WA, a full grade A license can be obtained.

My uncertainty is that I don't have C&G 2360 or 2330... I am just an NIC registered Domestic Installer, with a full scope license and 17th Edition. I have plenty of experience rewiring houses, fault finding, testing and certifying but only in the domestic field. I'm not sure if my quals and experience will be enough for an ARTC?

Has anyone else on this forum applied for ARTC, only being a Domestic Installer?

My other question is about when to apply... I have read that a few people on here have applied for ARTC whilst still being in the UK (from a thread in Sept 2011)... I thought that an ARTC can only being applied for with a valid visa to work and an Aussie address? Can anyone who has any experience of this tell me how they managed to apply whilst still in the UK? Did you give an Aussie address on your app or were you honest?

Thanks in advance guys - this forum is sooooo helpful!

Hi there ,
If you haven't served an apprenticeship then you must satisfy the TRA that you have 7 years experience in an electrical trade. I suspect you would be asked to do a telephone interview or trades test in this situation.
You can apply for an ARTC from the UK and if you don't supply an Australian address the the TRA will keep hold of the certificate until you arrive in Australia.
Regards Derren

The_Pom_From_Aus Oct 25th 2011 6:59 am

Re: ARTC for NIC Part P Domestic Installer Electrician

doogal;
Derren7 is spot on mate if you 1st don't have the right qualifications you wont get assessed for anything, 2nd you have no option but to go via Vetassess even though you may want to go the TRA route, i advise people to do both.

But as derren says you must have the qualifications & experience of 7 years on the job that's after all training, the VET people & TRA are in the same office in SA. the VET people shall assess your application for migration the decision from TRA is to access your skills & experience.