British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   ARTC - Fitter or Mechanic outcome (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/artc-fitter-mechanic-outcome-735997/)

MartitoMelbourne Oct 17th 2011 7:50 pm

ARTC - Fitter or Mechanic outcome

Do you apply for just one title or can you put both?

From what I understand so far, the Mechanics outcome is the one to go for as it gives you the A Grade license path where you can work unsupervised.

Other concerns I have is 3 of my old employers have all been shutdown so not able to get any references etc and when I worked in Sydney as an electrical engineer I had no form of license, and was told by the company that as there were others within the department on site who had an electrical license I did not need to have one? I was carrying out electrical maintenance repairs on production machinery, replacing faulty motors and drives, switches and sensors. I questioned my boss several times yet he said there was no need to worry about getting a license. As I was on probation who was I to question it. Was this correct for NSW license requirements?

Martin

derren7 Oct 18th 2011 4:02 pm

Re: ARTC - Fitter or Mechanic outcome

Originally Posted by MartitoMelbourne (Post 9680131)
Do you apply for just one title or can you put both?

From what I understand so far, the Mechanics outcome is the one to go for as it gives you the A Grade license path where you can work unsupervised.

Other concerns I have is 3 of my old employers have all been shutdown so not able to get any references etc and when I worked in Sydney as an electrical engineer I had no form of license, and was told by the company that as there were others within the department on site who had an electrical license I did not need to have one? I was carrying out electrical maintenance repairs on production machinery, replacing faulty motors and drives, switches and sensors. I questioned my boss several times yet he said there was no need to worry about getting a license. As I was on probation who was I to question it. Was this correct for NSW license requirements?

Martin

Hi again Martin,
Licencing in NSW is not compulsory as long as you are under supervision of a full licence holder.
You can put both titles of fitter and mechanic on your application but make sure you show equal amounts of experience in both types of work.
Also I had the same problems with some my references, so I had to submit statutory declarations, which I wrote myself and had witnessed by a JP, detailing hours of work, length of employment, the type of work that I carried out, tools used.
On their own stat decs are a poor substitute for employer references so you need to back them up with any documentary evidence showing that you worked for these companies, ie pay slips, P60 contract of employment etc.
Regards Derren