ARTC electrical fitter WA

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 2:17 am
Just Joined

hasselhoff86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ARTC electrical fitter WA

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
This the the "system" for you, there is no fitter or mechanic mentioned for migration purposes just electrician or maybe electrician special class (not sure if that still exists).

The reason for this as I understand it is that in some states, NSW and SA for certain there is no fitter or mechanic designation, you are either a electrician or you are not. Only some states WA and QLD differentiate between the two.
As of April this year you could do a correspondence course workbook through PEER in Adelaide and then complete the course, exams and assessments in Adelaide in a week. You get a "can carry out any electrical work" licence whether you had a mechanics or a fitters ARTC - I know this because I did it! I am in process of applying for the NSW licence under the mutual recognition scheme. You'll have to do some ringing to check this is still an option but it was and if it's still available it still is the fastest route to a licence.

People say it's a loop hole and shouldn't be allowed as it's too easy, that is just bs. I have spoken to people who did the hard yards in QLD and the exam and assessment process they described to me was exactly the same as I went through at PEER, only difference was I didn't need to fill in a log book as they recognised I was an electrician and assumed the base electrical knowledge that I had already proved so the logbook was unnecessary, it is just a case of getting up to speed with the Australian regs and testing procedures.

You read a lot of stories and opinions on here but the best thing you can do is pick up the phone and speak to the course providers, it changes all the time but all I can say is that the process I have described was valid as of April 2012! (And lots of people were saying don't do it!)
Thanks for the info, this way is defiantly quickest for obtaining licence, but not if your looking to stay in WA, i have read a few story's on this of electricians doing the course you talk about and then coming to WA to change it over through mutual recognition scheme. Wa don't care if its breaking the law, they still make you resit the course,, when applying for change over they ask for your licence plus artc, so if I went this way, surely they would make me do the years gap training again???
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 2:41 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hasselhoff86
Thanks for the info, this way is defiantly quickest for obtaining licence, but not if your looking to stay in WA, i have read a few story's on this of electricians doing the course you talk about and then coming to WA to change it over through mutual recognition scheme. Wa don't care if its breaking the law, they still make you resit the course,, when applying for change over they ask for your licence plus artc, so if I went this way, surely they would make me do the years gap training again???
Personally I have yet to come across a company that demanded the local states licence, granted the companies I approached all operated nationally perhaps this is why I haven't had these problems. Qld also ask for artc but I haven't had to apply for a qld licence yet and don't expect to have to at any point in the future but who knows. Good luck anyway
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:14 am
Just Joined

webber78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in the exact same boat as you mate, good to read this thread as its the same process as I am going through. Could anyone explain in a little more detail about the fitters course that you have to do before being able to start the gap training (if my understanding is correct)?

Last edited by webber78; Jan 3rd 2013 at 10:45 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:27 am
Just Joined

webber78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or be able to link me to another thread where the info is, as its probably on here somewhere ...

Last edited by webber78; Jan 3rd 2013 at 10:33 am.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Lee Cassell is an unknown quantity at this point

Wondering how all this lot works now. I have done an application and i have 8 years of Installation work, but my Certs are City & Guilds part I&II in electrical installation (2360)/ 17th edition regs (2382) and Inspection and Testing (2391-10). i am graded as an approved electrician through SJIB. I don't have NVQ 3 or AM2.... Anyone think this will be a problem or does the 2391-10 along with being Approved through SJIB supersede these quals some how?