Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

ARTC as Electrical Fitter in Victoria

ARTC as Electrical Fitter in Victoria

Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:28 am
Can't happen quick enough

David and Lynsey will become famous soon enoughDavid and Lynsey will become famous soon enough
Question ARTC as Electrical Fitter in Victoria

I've just received my ARTC as Electrical Fitter and contacted energy safe victoria regarding the licencing application. I was told that I will have to work for 12 months before I can attain the A class licence!! I can apply for the L licence which is supervised. Has anyone else had the same reply?
In the UK I worked as a maintenance electrician on high speed production lines, maintaining panels, motors, variable speed drives and programming/fault finding using PLC's. I was also involved in installing and commissioning new machinery.
I am unsure now as to whether I will be able to do this sort of work right away or whether I will be back to being a 4th year apprentice again. Can anybody shed any light on this?
Thanks
David
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC as Electrical Fitter in Victoria

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey
I've just received my ARTC as Electrical Fitter and contacted energy safe victoria regarding the licencing application. I was told that I will have to work for 12 months before I can attain the A class licence!! I can apply for the L licence which is supervised. Has anyone else had the same reply?
In the UK I worked as a maintenance electrician on high speed production lines, maintaining panels, motors, variable speed drives and programming/fault finding using PLC's. I was also involved in installing and commissioning new machinery.
I am unsure now as to whether I will be able to do this sort of work right away or whether I will be back to being a 4th year apprentice again. Can anybody shed any light on this?
Thanks
David
Yes that's the requirements in Victoria I'm afraid. You will get a training permit and will have to attend TAFE and pass an exam. If you PM Pom_in_Aus (Arthur) he lives there and will guide you through the process.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC as Electrical Fitter in Victoria

David, if you have done any installation work in the past you may want to try to get your classification changed to Electrical Mechanic ASAP with the Fitter classification its very limiting, at best im sure you will only get a restricted license, meaning you wont be able to work on your own, or you may only be able to do PLC work, its worth asking about.

Whatever you do DONT ask the morons at EPIC training in melbourne they are just pathetic & will NOT help you at all, the only thing they can see is dollars.

You will have to return to night school to do a short course in the electrical mechanic, then the big day ap EPIC Training where you book in to do individual assessments, they get more money out of people this way, when your ready i can guid you through it all i also know all the faults on one of the exams you must find 5 visual faults but more of all that crap later, as i say i can suggest a plan of attack on how to get through it all.

I would also suggest you chat to Wendy on here she is fantastic & very helpful in S/A the exams are much more relaxed lots better than Victoria

regards

arthur