British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   ARTC Electrical fitter- Don't bother coming (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/artc-electrical-fitter-dont-bother-coming-498070/)

David and Lynsey Dec 5th 2007 12:35 pm

ARTC Electrical fitter- Don't bother coming

Just a bit of advice- if TRA in their wisdom cassify you as Electrical Fitter then you have no chance of securing a decent job even if the job entails all that you ahve been doin as they all want the A grade licence. If you are classified by TRA as Electrical Mechanic then you only have to pass the 3 assessments (as I have) to get your A grade. If you are classified as Electrical Fitter and pass your 3 assessments you still have to work as a spark fro 12 months and get a letter from your employers before you get your A grade, and herein lies the problem-everybody wants the A grade or your ability to get it on your own. Coming from the UK with an ARTC as Electrical Fitter they don;t want you!! been here for 8 months and had only 3 months work most of that illegally.

Wendy Dec 5th 2007 8:31 pm

Re: ARTC Electrical fitter- Don't bother coming

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey (Post 5635744)
Just a bit of advice- if TRA in their wisdom cassify you as Electrical Fitter then you have no chance of securing a decent job even if the job entails all that you ahve been doin as they all want the A grade licence. If you are classified by TRA as Electrical Mechanic then you only have to pass the 3 assessments (as I have) to get your A grade. If you are classified as Electrical Fitter and pass your 3 assessments you still have to work as a spark fro 12 months and get a letter from your employers before you get your A grade, and herein lies the problem-everybody wants the A grade or your ability to get it on your own. Coming from the UK with an ARTC as Electrical Fitter they don;t want you!! been here for 8 months and had only 3 months work most of that illegally.

Where are you?

In SA I believe you can apply for an unrestricted licence whether you have mechanic or fitter, so long as you have passed the wiring rules course.

The forms says:

If you are recognised as an
Electrician, Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic, you may apply
for a
restricted registration with the condition: any electrical work under the supervision of a
registered electrical worker.

To have this limitation removed or to apply for an
unrestricted registration, you will also be
required to provide evidence of
completion of the approved AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules
course and exam
http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf

Give these guys a call, they may be able to help you www.peer.com.au :)

youngy73 Dec 6th 2007 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey (Post 5635744)

i reckon thats more down to you than anything else. i know a few blokes who got fitter and had no problems finding work. there licencing stuff took a little longer but if your focused on the goal and just get done what has to be done there are no problems.

David and Lynsey Dec 7th 2007 9:31 pm

With all due respect, I am talking about Victoria. I have passed all three elements of the Licenced Electrcians Assessment( Safe working Practice, Theory and Practical) but still have to secure work for 12 months as a spark before I can get my A grade, I currently have my L grade(supervised) licence. I have been told on many an occasion, from quite a few companies and agencies, that my resume/experience are outstanding and the only thing holding me back is that I don't have my A grade, but the only thing stopping me getting my A grade is someone to give me a chance. It's catch 22!
I can't speak for any other state, but this is my experience of Victoria.

youngy73 Dec 8th 2007 8:25 am

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey (Post 5644773)
With all due respect, I am talking about Victoria. I have passed all three elements of the Licenced Electrcians Assessment( Safe working Practice, Theory and Practical) but still have to secure work for 12 months as a spark before I can get my A grade, I currently have my L grade(supervised) licence. I have been told on many an occasion, from quite a few companies and agencies, that my resume/experience are outstanding and the only thing holding me back is that I don't have my A grade, but the only thing stopping me getting my A grade is someone to give me a chance. It's catch 22!
I can't speak for any other state, but this is my experience of Victoria.

maybe victoria is not the place to be. if its that much hassle use your nouse and go to south australia and use peer training then tranfer your licence. apparantly its a piece of piss to do it that way. there is always a way. why not play the system instead of it letting play you.

steve`o Dec 9th 2007 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by youngy73 (Post 5645880)
maybe victoria is not the place to be. if its that much hassle use your nouse and go to south australia and use peer training then tranfer your licence. apparantly its a piece of piss to do it that way. there is always a way. why not play the system instead of it letting play you.

spot on youngy ;)

Wendy Dec 9th 2007 10:09 pm

Peer in SA takes only about 2/3 weeks. They sometimes do correspondence courses too, you need to attend for the exam though.

Got to be more cost effective in the long run. It means you could be working on a full unrestricted licence within a month or so. All you have to do is get your SA licence then convert it through interstate mutual recognition.

David and Lynsey Dec 10th 2007 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 5650762)
spot on youngy ;)

Thanx Youngy and Steve-o you are backing up my point.
Wendy,I think you slightly miss the point I make. FYI Victoria is the only state not to recognise the A grade licence of another state- you have to pass your tests in Victoria( even if you have an A grade)

Wendy Dec 10th 2007 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey (Post 5652705)
Thanx Youngy and Steve-o you are backing up my point.
Wendy,I think you slightly miss the point I make. FYI Victoria is the only state not to recognise the A grade licence of another state- you have to pass your tests in Victoria( even if you have an A grade)

I am not missing your point, I was trying to help.

Here is the info you need:
http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/ForElectri...2/Default.aspx

http://www.licencerecognition.gov.au/LRSearch.aspx

I know 5 people that have gone through peer to get a licence and transferred it to a Vic one :)

The_Pom_From_Aus Dec 10th 2007 9:25 pm

David;
you can apply direct to the electrical inspectors office for your A class in victoria, the inspectors office issue the A grade license NOT the training agency get in contact with Licensing in Victoria explain your plight, also send them your resume and work experience it can be done i know full well of the system here.

The_Pom_From_Aus Dec 10th 2007 10:18 pm

wiring rules 2007

Wendy;

i now have the new wiring rules AS/NZ 3000:2007
in hard back copy i have NOT had time to look inside yet.

Wendy Dec 11th 2007 2:27 am

Re: wiring rules 2007

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus (Post 5654410)
Wendy;

i now have the new wiring rules AS/NZ 3000:2007
in hard back copy i have NOT had time to look inside yet.

Gareth mentioned them to me yesterday. We haven't bought them yet, he's mentioned them to his boss and we're hoping they buy them :D Although it's a long shot as he doesn't actually do any electrical work, it's all PLC programming :sneaky: