ARTC application

Old May 22nd 2011, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

glencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really nice
Default ARTC application

Hi all,
I'm just after a bit of advice on the job description part of the application. I've made a couple of drafts but dont really know what they're after so after a few pages i start over. I was foreman on an hotel rewire and i'm planning on giving this as my portfolio, the the installation had everything as it had new shop units, apartments, restaurant, bar and gym in it, and it was the biggest project i overseen so i've a good insight into it. If i described the project from start to finish would this be sufficient or would i need to give different projects? The hotel fit-out was in early 2010 so i dont have photos of me actually doing the work and getting drawings would be very difficult, is this a necessity?
Also do they want every detail from drilling the concrete ceiling to fit threaded rod to fitting spacer-bar saddles for surface conduit?
I hope to settle in NSW in august and have my flights and WHV got, and from reading different posts here it's best to get the ball rolling before i get to Oz, any info would be great.
thanks
shane
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: ARTC application

Originally Posted by glencar14
Hi all,
I'm just after a bit of advice on the job description part of the application. I've made a couple of drafts but dont really know what they're after so after a few pages i start over. I was foreman on an hotel rewire and i'm planning on giving this as my portfolio, the the installation had everything as it had new shop units, apartments, restaurant, bar and gym in it, and it was the biggest project i overseen so i've a good insight into it. If i described the project from start to finish would this be sufficient or would i need to give different projects? The hotel fit-out was in early 2010 so i dont have photos of me actually doing the work and getting drawings would be very difficult, is this a necessity?
Also do they want every detail from drilling the concrete ceiling to fit threaded rod to fitting spacer-bar saddles for surface conduit?
I hope to settle in NSW in august and have my flights and WHV got, and from reading different posts here it's best to get the ball rolling before i get to Oz, any info would be great.
thanks
shane
Hi Shane,
Follow this LINK and go to my post No. 9 and read the attachments that Steve O submitted in his successful application
Regards Derren
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:48 am
Just Joined

scottishjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glencar14
Hi all,
thanks
shane
Hi mate, im currently in Melbourne and applied when i got here and got my ARTC in the post 2 weeks later.(Electrical Mechanic) I mentioned all the tools I used in the UK and all the types of buildings and installations i worked on. I didnt just specify one job! Any questions just ask! If you want i can send you what i wrote on that section!

Cheers James
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

glencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really niceglencar14 is just really nice

Originally Posted by scottishjames
Hi mate, im currently in Melbourne and applied when i got here and got my ARTC in the post 2 weeks later.(Electrical Mechanic) I mentioned all the tools I used in the UK and all the types of buildings and installations i worked on. I didnt just specify one job! Any questions just ask! If you want i can send you what i wrote on that section!

Cheers James
hey james
oh right i thought it had to be a detailed job description? i'm writing pages upon pages, from drilling holes with a 5.5 masonory bit and fitting a spacer bar saddle to a wall to how i'd gland a mains swa into a distribution board. if you could send that on to give me an idea it'd be great.

cheers
shane
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Shane,
Follow this LINK and go to my post No. 9 and read the attachments that Steve O submitted in his successful application
Regards Derren
thanks derren for the link,
i think i'm under the wrong impression that you have to write page after page, getting a better idea of what they're after now.

cheers
shane
Old May 24th 2011, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

mashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nice

Cheers James
Alright James.

Where in Scotland are you from? I'm from Paisley but currently in Sydney.

I'm a qualified sparky in the UK, filling out my ARTC just now and would love any help you could provide mate.

any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks mate.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mashup
Alright James.

Where in Scotland are you from? I'm from Paisley but currently in Sydney.

I'm a qualified sparky in the UK, filling out my ARTC just now and would love any help you could provide mate.

any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks mate.
I'm from Helensburgh mate! So not too far away from you.lol. Done a lot of work in Paisley in Hosp etc. Any questions you have just ask mate!

James
Old May 25th 2011, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

mashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nice

I'm from Helensburgh mate! So not too far away from you.lol. Done a lot of work in Paisley in Hosp etc. Any questions you have just ask mate!

James
Did you apply for electrical fitter or electrical mechanic? and also do you still have a copy of what you sent?

i'm pretty sure my application will be sweet cause i got loads of stuff sent over and just got it certified. loads of evidence.

just a bit unsure about the description part of it.

cheers mate!
Old May 25th 2011, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Did you apply for electrical fitter or electrical mechanic? and also do you still have a copy of what you sent?

i'm pretty sure my application will be sweet cause i got loads of stuff sent over and just got it certified. loads of evidence.

cheers mate!
Nah! I formatted my comp and lost all that stuff! Yeah brought all my stuff with me!(stuff from SQA, Craftsman Certificate, reference from old employer etc etc) With regards to the description part, i put something along the lines of:

I have experience working in (wiring, rewiring, additional lighting and power) Hospitals, Schools, Public Buildings, Commercial Property and Dwelling Houses.

My day to day tasks included working with Steel and PVC Conduit, Cable Tray, Steel and PVC Trunking, XLPE/SWA, MICC and many other types of wiring systems. I have a very good knowledge of the current IEE Wiring Regulations and also Australian Regulations. I have also carried out Inspection and Testing on many different types of Electrical Installations.

With maybe a slight bit more detail but not too much more. You could make it better than that as thats off the top of my head!
Old May 25th 2011, 10:56 am
Just Joined

cheers mate!
I also remember I spoke a little bit about my appreticeship! How I learned how to do things from an approved electrician etc
Old May 25th 2011, 11:00 am
Just Joined

cheers mate!
Oh and Electrical Mechanic is what u want mate
Old May 26th 2011, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Oh and Electrical Mechanic is what u want mate
you are a good human being mate.

where are you based? you been over long?