British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Apply for job before arrival? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/apply-job-before-arrival-504912/)

ukdarren22 Jan 9th 2008 2:21 pm

Apply for job before arrival?

Does anybody know of any good websites that I could post my resume on, to try and get some work before I get there, I am arriving in June and I now have my visa, is it worth applying for any jobs? or are they simply not interested without the dreaded License:curse:

steve`o Jan 9th 2008 7:32 pm

Re: Apply for job before arrival?

Originally Posted by ukdarren22 (Post 5763766)
Does anybody know of any good websites that I could post my resume on, to try and get some work before I get there, I am arriving in June and I now have my visa, is it worth applying for any jobs? or are they simply not interested without the dreaded License:curse:

personally i wouldnt bother mate

why ? well look at it this way
your approached by an electrician on the other side of the world who`s coming over in 4 months but who hasn`t yet got a licence and for obvious reasons you carnt talk face to face
what would your answer be ???

so, 1st sort out your permit to train then look for the job

regards steve

ps where abouts are you heading
( you may have told me already but i carn`t remember ) and have you sorted the artc yet ??

ukdarren22 Jan 9th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 5764959)
personally i wouldnt bother mate

why ? well look at it this way
your approached by an electrician on the other side of the world who`s coming over in 4 months but who hasn`t yet got a licence and for obvious reasons you carnt talk face to face
what would your answer be ???

so, 1st sort out your permit to train then look for the job

regards steve

ps where abouts are you heading
( you may have told me already but i carn`t remember ) and have you sorted the artc yet ??

No Not got ARTC yet just working that out at the moment, I have to wait for my visa to be in my passport, so that I can copy it, also need to sort out an address to send it to. Its giving me a headache.
I am heading to Perth, not sure where abouts yet, doing my best to look into suburbs at the moment.

Jox_co Jan 15th 2008 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by ukdarren22 (Post 5763766)

Hi there,

Don't mind me but my hubby went to jobs expo in October and has been offered a job starting in May. He is an electrical engineer, not yet got visa, ARTC or licence. Doesn't seem to be a problem for company who employed him!

Get on with applying, most will probably offer to pay you less to begin with until you have your A grade licence. You can apply for ARTC now if you have visa, you just need to have an address to put on the application as they will only reply to Oz address.

Good luck.