Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:11 am
Just Joined

gtcobra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

And...if you want I will tell you all about the job situation here now in the present March 2009.
I have been a licensed electrician for many years here and have worked doing commercial, industrial and mostly oilfield work trying to make a buck like everyone else in this field.

Last edited by gtcobra; Mar 5th 2009 at 3:22 am.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

shasoh is an unknown quantity at this point

hi gtcobra, any information would be fantastic! as i understand works tight over there at the minute?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Ok, for starters, thanks to the American economy crashing into the sewers, things over here are crashing also.
Once plentiful opportunities for electricians are virtually non-existent now!
In fact...looking in the local newspaper JUST THIS MORNING there was 1...ONE...job, and in Saskatchewan of all places.

Even in the last week or so, there have been hardly any jobs at all!!! 1 or 2 here or there and they are probably high competition right now!

All the big mega-projects in the oilsands (which is the Alberta boom basically) came to a screeching halt!

Everything has slowed down considerably.

On a more brighter side, once spring is here things might pick up a little, probably not much. There are a few bigger projects on the go, but they are mostly manned up or will be by summer's end. I am sure there are a lot of people waiting for it to happen!

Sorry for the bad news, but until credit starts flowing by bailouts from both governments, there won't be much in the way of mega-boom times like it has been for the last few years.

If it means anything, there is a lot of people that didn't benefit from this boom, all it did was create outrageous living costs which made live very difficult for a great many people...electricians included!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Keep in mind that there are some jobs available as demand calls for it.
A lot of electrical work is not advertised. We all know about the "its who you know situation", and that applies here too also.

Even though most of the big jobs have been put on hold until who knows when, there is still maintenance work along with smaller projects to supplement the bigger ones already completed.

Also,most of the bigger jobs, probably 95%+ in the oilsands are union.
You must be a member to get the benefits from that.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

shasoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info, i kind of figured that making a move to a new country, with out any contacts at the moment would'nt be the best start. However when things do pick up, i'm going to make the move.
What's life like for a Electrician in Alberta, when the works there?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Mackthebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i just joined this site and have been reading your discussions, canada's a great place to be, i hope you all get your papers in order i know it takes some time. I work in the oil sands just south of fort mac if your moving here with a family i would not recomend the camp job 20 on 8 off or 10 on 4 off its a lonelyy life and puts a strain on family. Im lucky i married a canadian and she stays home in newfoundland, but shes got her parents and siblings to help her.

edmonton and calgary have always been in need of electricians but i would suggest you get your heads down on the job searches things are tightening up here now with the recession and alot of oilsands workers are heading home as projects get frozen for the time being. I cant really help with job searches but i must tell you there is now a 21st edition (2009) cec book released. the exams will still be based on the 20th ed (2006) probably for the rest of the year but you need to be looking at one off them, alot, before you sit the test. i will always say dont try to learn it, learn how to use it! a good website with practice questions is "thelearningpit.com". learn how to find the sections, tables, appendix, contents all exam questions are multiple choice, what size? how many conductors? what depth? Motor loads? demand factors? you can be an electrician for 50 yrs if you cant find it in the book you wont pass!

im sorry i cant help with immigration or job search ive never been to the big cities if you want names of oilsands companies i can help!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Mackthebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

the job market in albertas slowed but not dead, i dont think canada knows whether its going down the pan or not and i dont think it is theres too much oil here, They fly me from the east coast 8 hrs to work here for 20 days and i have 8 off its not great for everyone, but atlantic canadiens tend to have to travel for work, if your living in alberta to correct an earlier comment without stepping on anyones toes the majority of northern albertas oilsand projects are unionised under the CLAC not the IBEW, I think clac is more an employers association and its not like a union back home you get the job and then you join, they give you various benefits, but dont do much else and most call them non-union, there no need to join the international brotherhood of electrical workers for employment either look locally just walking around new construction buildings, homes etc or get sending resume's,

anyway the big companies you may want to search are Ledcor, Kiewit, Flintenergy, westwood, maybe their websites will have openings posted.

or contact the IBEW
Old May 31st 2009, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Instance56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I was curious to any of the guys who work in the Oil Fields if thiers any Aussie thier at all. Im just curious because by the time i finish my apprenticeship in early 2011 and get the last few hundred hours up to meet 8750 i was looking at comming over ( obviously not straight to Oil fields as i presume you need some exp in Canada before you get a shot thier ).

Just curious as i work in the Coal mines over here in Aus and wondered if that has much of an impact on preference.

Thanks for any replies.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

HI
is the total time 9000 hours you need arfter fully qualified
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:42 am
Just Joined

applebite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mackthebrit
Hi i just joined this site and have been reading your discussions, canada's a great place to be, i hope you all get your papers in order i know it takes some time. I work in the oil sands just south of fort mac if your moving here with a family i would not recomend the camp job 20 on 8 off or 10 on 4 off its a lonelyy life and puts a strain on family. Im lucky i married a canadian and she stays home in newfoundland, but shes got her parents and siblings to help her.

edmonton and calgary have always been in need of electricians but i would suggest you get your heads down on the job searches things are tightening up here now with the recession and alot of oilsands workers are heading home as projects get frozen for the time being. I cant really help with job searches but i must tell you there is now a 21st edition (2009) cec book released. the exams will still be based on the 20th ed (2006) probably for the rest of the year but you need to be looking at one off them, alot, before you sit the test. i will always say dont try to learn it, learn how to use it! a good website with practice questions is "thelearningpit.com". learn how to find the sections, tables, appendix, contents all exam questions are multiple choice, what size? how many conductors? what depth? Motor loads? demand factors? you can be an electrician for 50 yrs if you cant find it in the book you wont pass!

im sorry i cant help with immigration or job search ive never been to the big cities if you want names of oilsands companies i can help!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what size? how many conductors? what depth? Motor loads? demand factors? you can be an electrician for 50 yrs if you cant find it in the book you wont pass!
-----------------------

I am siting in exam in early June.
Please put up some questions from actual exam you took. Some one told me there are many questions which involve many formulas. It is hard the remember all of them.
I did try to buy that CD many people suggested on this site, but CSA shop dosnt have any version for window Vista.
So please put up some questions if any body remember.

One more question...in Alberta, you have only 2 chances to pass. if you fail you are not allowed to sit again..is it same in other provinces.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by applebite
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what size? how many conductors? what depth? Motor loads? demand factors? you can be an electrician for 50 yrs if you cant find it in the book you wont pass!
-----------------------

I am siting in exam in early June.
Please put up some questions from actual exam you took. Some one told me there are many questions which involve many formulas. It is hard the remember all of them.
I did try to buy that CD many people suggested on this site, but CSA shop dosnt have any version for window Vista.
So please put up some questions if any body remember.

One more question...in Alberta, you have only 2 chances to pass. if you fail you are not allowed to sit again..is it same in other provinces.
There are example questions on the learningpit.com, check Mackthebrit's post for the correct web address. As I understand it if you fail twice you have to undergo a further training course in Canada before you can resit the test!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:58 am
Just Joined

Sparky01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

Canadian here. I worked with Brit sparkyies in South Africa and enjoyed the camaraderie (mates,as you call it),something sometimes lacking,in my opinion, in Canada.
I find it interesting so many people want to move here. I know our standard of living is good. Just cycling around the block and seeing new houses and cars in the driveways,ect, but I keep thinking,in the middle of winter,"what were my ancestors thinking?!!Guess it must have been pretty bad back in the old country,why not Australia or NZ?" Anyhow,though I've never been there,I hear Calgary is a great place to live and you could do worse. Ottawa as well,which is near where I live.
Here's a link to an American web site that has exam questions similar to what you may encounter on the Canadian one. Our codes are very similar except for the occasionnal extra rule or variations.

Good luck.

JML
Gatineau, Qc
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sparky01
Hi all.

Canadian here. I worked with Brit sparkyies in South Africa and enjoyed the camaraderie (mates,as you call it),something sometimes lacking,in my opinion, in Canada.
I find it interesting so many people want to move here. I know our standard of living is good. Just cycling around the block and seeing new houses and cars in the driveways,ect, but I keep thinking,in the middle of winter,"what were my ancestors thinking?!!Guess it must have been pretty bad back in the old country,why not Australia or NZ?" Anyhow,though I've never been there,I hear Calgary is a great place to live and you could do worse. Ottawa as well,which is near where I live.
Here's a link to an American web site that has exam questions similar to what you may encounter on the Canadian one. Our codes are very similar except for the occasionnal extra rule or variations.

Good luck.

JML
Gatineau, Qc
Hi Sparky01,

Thanks for your post, great to hear from a Canadian spark on here its nearly all Oz. I'm still heading for Lethbridge and can't wait to get stuck into things.
Got your Canadian Code 2009 sat right here with me, its like an encyclopedia compared to ours and I thought ours was enough.
For me it wasn't a choice, have been to Canada before and nearly settled down with a Canadian girl when I was younger, they are mainly so freindly and make you so welcome and the changing seasons is something I love and my Huskies can't wait for some real snow
Australia seems so hot all year round and I would struggle to cope although I hear working in winter is an experience too over there.
Anyway thanks again for your post

Ian
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:51 am
Just Joined

applebite is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys
I challanged IP exam and failed first time but i was luckey to pass it 2nd time with 71% results. still looking for a job in trade.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:34 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by applebite
hi guys
I challanged IP exam and failed first time but i was luckey to pass it 2nd time with 71% results. still looking for a job in trade.
where abouts are you and what kind of electrician are you ???