Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Davywavy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Hey, stumbled across this website today and am glad i did, I'm an electrician ,22, and have a fiance in Ontario canada i also have had a PR application in for over a year now but as you know it takes a while, My understanding before reading through these forums was that you couldn't take the red seal test until you where in canada on a permit of some sort, now that i know its different i could kick myself as i've been back and forth quite a few times visiting my fiance. So just to clear things up in my own mind, you need proof of what type of work you've been doing (an employers letter) and the fee and then show up at one of the Apprenticeship offices in ontario ready to take the test. I felt i was running in circles before as employers weren't considering me as i didn't have the canadian qualifications needed. Anyway i hope you can help me.
Thanks
-Davy
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:42 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Davywavy
Hey, stumbled across this website today and am glad i did, I'm an electrician ,22, and have a fiance in Ontario canada i also have had a PR application in for over a year now but as you know it takes a while, My understanding before reading through these forums was that you couldn't take the red seal test until you where in canada on a permit of some sort, now that i know its different i could kick myself as i've been back and forth quite a few times visiting my fiance. So just to clear things up in my own mind, you need proof of what type of work you've been doing (an employers letter) and the fee and then show up at one of the Apprenticeship offices in ontario ready to take the test. I felt i was running in circles before as employers weren't considering me as i didn't have the canadian qualifications needed. Anyway i hope you can help me.
Thanks
-Davy
Thats about the sum of it davy, i would suggest you get an canadian wiring regulations. i would also recommend you stay away from toronto as it can be a bit of a cattle market, if you want details of the office in barrie i can give you those. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me or email me

Regards

Steve

ps where abouts in ontario is your girlfriend
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

grthespark is on a distinguished road

Thanks
-Davy
Hi Davy,

Welcome to the forum.

I too am an Electrician ( For my sin's ) although I wish I was 22 that's for sure I have just returned from Calgary where I enquired about the Red Seal Test.

In Alberta it cost's $450.00 you have to get at least 70% to pass, should you fail, you can re-test at $100.00

You need to reasure them that you have had the experience, as in at least 9000 hrs or so Aprox 4 years. This ideally needs to come from your employer who can verify your employment, & the years experience.

I'm Self Employed & have been for year's, so I need to obtain a letter from my Accountant & maybe the Tax office, who can confirm my statr date for Self Employment.

You're right this site is great. Watch out for "Judy in Calgary" She really is a mind of information on Canada, especially Alberta.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gary
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys, Hopefully it won't take me too long to get up to speed on Canadian Electrical Code, I'll be around St Catharines, Ontario. I hope there's an office there thats not as busy as toronto . Now i have to go back over my 3 employers to get an outline of my work experience. Also can you do both the industrial and construction exams or is it one of the other? I have experience in both fields.
Cheers
-Davy
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:56 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

As far as i am aware there is nothing to stop you doing both exams

steve
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

I wondered about that, at the minute i'm doing industrial maintenance start the night shift in half an hour unfortunatley but i'm not sure i'd stay in this field, Was having a look online there for regulation books, Since your there (lucky for some ) maybe you know the specific name of the code/regulations book?

Davy
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:04 pm
spring is coming yeha

I wondered about that, at the minute i'm doing industrial maintenance start the night shift in half an hour unfortunatley but i'm not sure i'd stay in this field, Was having a look online there for regulation books, Since your there (lucky for some ) maybe you know the specific name of the code/regulations book?

Davy
not there yet unfortunately not till nov. It is the canadian electrical code part 1 2006, there are books you can get from amazon.ca which are guides to residential wiring. You can get the code books from www.shopcsa.ca

they take bout 2 weeks to get to the UK

Regards

Steve
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steved61
not there yet unfortunately not till nov. It is the canadian electrical code part 1 2006, there are books you can get from amazon.ca which are guides to residential wiring. You can get the code books from www.shopcsa.ca

they take bout 2 weeks to get to the UK

Regards

Steve
Thanks very much Steve, Nov is not to far away, I'll get that ordered up, feel a bit better now i can do something other that just sit it out and wait. Hopefully i'll be able to get a WP through this. Thanks again, now i must go and find out what is broken in the factory.

Davy
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

So, got myself sorted out with a CSA code book, and asked my fiance to take a trip downtown to the local apprenticeship office. She explained the situation and was given a package which apparently i'm supposed to get signed by my employer/employers. However she was also told i would need a SIN number to sit the test? Have i missed something? Any ideas.
Davy
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:49 pm
spring is coming yeha

So, got myself sorted out with a CSA code book, and asked my fiance to take a trip downtown to the local apprenticeship office. She explained the situation and was given a package which apparently i'm supposed to get signed by my employer/employers. However she was also told i would need a SIN number to sit the test? Have i missed something? Any ideas.
Davy
Not sure about that, but you won' be able to get your sin number without having landed

Here is the ministry of training office phone number in Barrie :001 705-737-1431
If you speak to them they will be able to tell you what the requirements are as they are the ones which do the assessments.

Sorry can't be more help

Steve
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the number, i'll let you know what happens.

Davy
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:26 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

this for the ones heading to ontario, not sure on anywhere else in canada, but this is how we did it

Hubby booked an appointment at london, ontario to get assed, because he could not get letter from past employer (they have closed down) they advised that he had to get a letter togeather and get it signed by a judge or police etc

Anyway did this and got him passed through with the 9000hrs.
then you have to give a canadian address so that letters etc can be sent. because you are not a pr or have a work permit, they have to get a sub number from toronto for you, this can take 3/5 days.
Once you have your sub number you can either book into sit the test or the only place that allow walk in is toronto (be warned that they only let 20 in per test and it get full early)

Once you have set the test, it takes 2/3 days to get results.

---- sub number and test results can be obtained quicker if you nag them silly

Hubby sat his 422A license and unless you have canadian experience or have trained they are advising that you wont pass, hubby got close, but sadly not close enough, plus its 14 days before you can re-sit the test

Hope that helps someone

gill
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

coolzak is an unknown quantity at this point

pass exam and dont need this- http://www.csa-intl.org/onlinestore/...02&Parent=4057 anymore .First person who give adress trough PM will get it for free
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

coolzak is an unknown quantity at this point

gone
Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:44 pm
spring is coming yeha

I have just spoken to the guy who ran the pre electrical exam courses in toronto and the b****** has decided to retire, bloody cheek, he couldn't have waited another couple of months till i got out there

So back to the example exams for me and crossing my fingers. I will try phoning the ministry of training and find out if anyone else is doing the courses and i will of course let you know what i find out

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.