Anyone in the US?

Old Oct 8th 2006, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in the US?

Anyone working in the US as an electrician?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 3:23 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in the US?

Originally Posted by Jess5377
Anyone working in the US as an electrician?
What do you want to know I can perhaps ask my mate
Old Oct 8th 2006, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thydney
What do you want to know I can perhaps ask my mate

I was just wondering if there are many UK trained sparks out there and how hard it was to find a job without training in the US. I know a lot of areas are union run and they tend to only want US trained and dh isn't too happy about the prospect of returning to school.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 4:25 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Anyone in the US?

I was just wondering if there are many UK trained sparks out there and how hard it was to find a job without training in the US. I know a lot of areas are union run and they tend to only want US trained and dh isn't too happy about the prospect of returning to school.

What were you planning to do about a visa?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 4:28 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I think he wouldn't have much choice they don't do foreigners here everything is done their way or no way. He would need to get trade certification before he could work. There is also the fact that the way they do it here is very different, I'm no spark but IMHO over here looks lethal.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

we're doing dcf through London.

DH has done electric in the US, tends to do bits and pieces whenever we are in the US visiting family. He can work non-union under a licensed contractor without being licensed himself, but just trying to see how hard it would be for him to pass the license himself. Already has reg books that he has been studying, just would be nice to know from someone who has already done the process.

Thank you anyway, doesn't seem to be too many UK electricians in the US. We originally were looking into Canada as its a bit easier working there with being licensed in the UK, but the wait is so long for a visa!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 11:45 pm
Not dead yet

we're doing dcf through London.

DH has done electric in the US, tends to do bits and pieces whenever we are in the US visiting family. He can work non-union under a licensed contractor without being licensed himself, but just trying to see how hard it would be for him to pass the license himself. Already has reg books that he has been studying, just would be nice to know from someone who has already done the process.

Thank you anyway, doesn't seem to be too many UK electricians in the US. We originally were looking into Canada as its a bit easier working there with being licensed in the UK, but the wait is so long for a visa!
AFAIK you have to have two years working for someone before you can sit a contractors exam in Florida but the pay is crap