British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Any Advice-Qld license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/any-advice-qld-license-743673/)

DavyT Jan 3rd 2012 10:40 pm

Any Advice-Qld license

Hi folks,

Could anyone tell me the easiest/best route to get my license in Queensland.

I served an electrical apprenticeship in the UK and worked for 10 years as a maintenance spark then 9 years as an instrument technician.

I passed TRA as an Electrician Special Class and got my 175 skilled independent visa in April 11. My family and I moved to Alexandra Hills, Redland Bay, Brisbane in Oct 11 and I am working as a Service Engineer (Instrumentation) for a company in the Water Industry.

I was going to do ARTC then PEER in SA but I had heard that Qld are no longer accepting the PEER route in SA, so far I haven't been able to confirm this.
Also as I am the only Service Engineer in Qld there is no way for me to complete a log book as the company doesn't have a licensed electrician.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Davy.

steve`o Jan 4th 2012 2:24 am

Re: Any Advice-Qld license

Originally Posted by DavyT (Post 9818877)
Hi folks,

Could anyone tell me the easiest/best route to get my license in Queensland.

I served an electrical apprenticeship in the UK and worked for 10 years as a maintenance spark then 9 years as an instrument technician.

I passed TRA as an Electrician Special Class and got my 175 skilled independent visa in April 11. My family and I moved to Alexandra Hills, Redland Bay, Brisbane in Oct 11 and I am working as a Service Engineer (Instrumentation) for a company in the Water Industry.

I was going to do ARTC then PEER in SA but I had heard that Qld are no longer accepting the PEER route in SA, so far I haven't been able to confirm this.
Also as I am the only Service Engineer in Qld there is no way for me to complete a log book as the company doesn't have a licensed electrician.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Davy.

try speaking to chris at qet

he should be able to point you in the right direction as to your options

regards steve

qet --

Contact Information

Managing Director: Chris Williamson

Telephone :61 7 3344 1274
Fax: 61 7 3344 1273

Mobile : 0412 780603

Postal address
13 Leven Street
Coopers Plains
Brisbane Qld. 4108

Email [email protected]

DavyT Jan 4th 2012 2:31 am

Cheers Steve'o,

I will give him a call.

rinkerdink Jan 5th 2012 9:17 am

Hi,

Based on what you have said it sounds like TRA will grade you as a fitter for an artc which will put you in the same boat as me.

Here is the reply I got from Chris at QET when asking about costs and timescales in converting a fitters ARTC to a full QLD fitter mechanics licence.

Hi Chris

What you have written is correct – you will first need to gain your electrical fitters – then the mechanic. The cost through QET for the fitters is $1150. The cost for fitter to mechanic is $2950.00

Time line depends on you and your employer – step 1 to fitter generally takes 4 to 5 months – second step depends very much on the type of work you do. We’ll get to that when the time comes.

Kind Regards

Chris Williamson

So a long ol' road, I am going to PEER for the SA A-class licence and then I'm going to try and convert this to a QLD fitters licence (saving 5 months!) and go with QET for the mechanics licence from there - at least i'll have a licence when I land.

The old days of using a fitters artc to get the SA A-class licence and then converting this to a QLD mechanics licence are gone, they always check the ARTC that you where awarded which makes sense really.

But it's all a bit wooly given the national licencing scheme thats apparently being rolled out from July but I think it's the best I can do with what I have. Good luck in any case with whatever you decide