Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Alarm Installer in Australia?

Alarm Installer in Australia?

Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Phil & Toni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alarm Installer in Australia?

Hi all

I have worked for a security company as an installer of intruder alarms, CCTV, access control and automated gate systems for 10 years and then as a supervisor for the last 4 years. Supervising isn't really what I desire to continue to do and am looking to return to installing.

The wife and I are currently in the first stages of the immigration process to Australia, and I am finding obtaining information on job prospects very difficult and am concerned there may not be much of a need for work in this field.

We are currently looking at either Adelaide, Melbourne or Perth and would be greatful if anyone in these areas has any information on their experiences working in the security industry.

Thanks

Phil
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alarm Installer in Australia?

Originally Posted by Phil & Toni
Hi all

I have worked for a security company as an installer of intruder alarms, CCTV, access control and automated gate systems for 10 years and then as a supervisor for the last 4 years. Supervising isn't really what I desire to continue to do and am looking to return to installing.

The wife and I are currently in the first stages of the immigration process to Australia, and I am finding obtaining information on job prospects very difficult and am concerned there may not be much of a need for work in this field.

We are currently looking at either Adelaide, Melbourne or Perth and would be greatful if anyone in these areas has any information on their experiences working in the security industry.

Thanks

Phil
My husband was exactly the same. Install/service in security for 10 years and then moved up to supervisor/management role. There is lots of work for you here, but you will need to do some training and get your security license. Do yourself a favour and get a police check done right before you leave UK to bring for your licensing and save a copy of your TRA file for when you go to get your training done. They will need to see it in order to give you recognition of prior learning so you won't have to repeat all the training again.
And, one word of advice...Don't come to Adelaide if this is the type of work you are looking for. We've been here 6 months and hub is still not working. He has been offered jobs in both Melbourne and Perth, but doesn't want to move again.
Feel free to PM me if you want any other information.
Dorothy
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Dtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really nice

Mate,

I worked for 15 years in the UK security industry initially with ADT and then Bell, doing mainly bank / financial institution installations.

Now, happily settled in Brisbane, I now currently work for a major Building, Automation, Security company looking after some top end projects.

I'm new here (3rd post) so I'm not really sure how private messages or how email is set up in the profile?

As far as Alarm Engineers go, there is plenty of work...
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Dtox.