British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   After vetassess practical (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/after-vetassess-practical-519412/)

Porter Mar 5th 2008 6:45 pm

After vetassess practical

Hi all,has anyone passed the practical examinations and found out what the next step is?Will the artc still be required,ooh what do we know?

docgp Mar 5th 2008 7:01 pm

Re: After vetassess practical

Originally Posted by Porter (Post 6022136)
Hi all,has anyone passed the practical examinations and found out what the next step is?Will the artc still be required,ooh what do we know?

vetassess will give all information after a successful outcome, thats all they will say at the moment, if i find out anymore i will post here

doc

Porter Mar 5th 2008 7:23 pm

nice one!!

docgp Mar 6th 2008 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Porter (Post 6022136)

i have recieved an email from vetassess

hope this helps everyone who reads it!

The Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) is designed to provide applicants with a provisional licence in their nominated occupation. It is an initiative of the Commonwealth of Australian Governments (COAG) which attempts to circumvent the problem of recently arrived migrants having to undertake a whole new assessment process when they arrive onshore. It is designed to allow holders to work as soon as they arrive in Australia.

It can be taken to the regulatory authority in the relevant state or territory for the granting of a provisional licence.

What the provisional licence entitles you to is being organised by the federal government. Our role is to undertake the assessments of the standards that have been agreed upon by the Australian government. What the provisional licence entitles you is not something I am able to provide to you at this point however the federal government has told us they will provide us with more information shortly which we will place on our website. I can’t really comment on the comparability of the OTSR to the ARTC (too many acronyms in that sentence I think). I think the OTSR is a new way to gain a provisional licence and in a way supersedes the previous arrangements for applicants from particular trades and certain countries.

The new trade skills assessment is basically what is known as a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Accreditation of Prior Learning in the UK. An RPL involves the assessment of previously unrecognised skills and knowledge an individual has achieved outside of the (Australian) formal education and training system. In Australia, industry groups put together standards that are required to be deemed competent in certain occupations. These standards form the basis for all qualifications in the Australian Vocational and Education Training (VET) system. There is a similar model in the United Kingdom as well, much like the NVQ system.

The new standards describe what you can do, not how you learnt or who delivered your training. It is outcome focused. This is what is known as a competency. You could have learnt from your father or undertaken formal training, it may have taken you one month or ten years, so long as you can demonstrate that you can undertake the task/activity you can be deemed competent. In terms of licensed trades such as Electricians, we will not be assessing against the Australian specific content of the standards because these would require you to undertake some training in our regulations. This is why a provisional licence is being issued and likely where further training (and in some instances a set amount of work experience in Australia) will be required to gain a full licence. The further training and work experience is to be undertaken in Australia not overseas.

In terms of what the assessment will be a one day assessment that will involve a technical interview and a series of practical tasks. We will be providing of examples of the practical tasks to applicants prior to the assessment. By the way, your assessment will be on Friday 11th April at the College of North West London. A link below gives you the address.

http://www2.cnwl.ac.uk/Willesden%20Centre.php

I hope this helps.

doc

steve`o Mar 6th 2008 7:02 pm

thanks for posting thats made the vetts route a bit clearer ;)

the only bit i`m worried about is

What the provisional licence entitles you to is being organised by the federal government. Our role is to undertake the assessments of the standards that have been agreed upon by the Australian government. What the provisional licence entitles you is not something I am able to provide to you at this point however the federal government has told us they will provide us with more information shortly which we will place on our website. I can’t really comment on the comparability of the OTSR to the ARTC (too many acronyms in that sentence I think). I think the OTSR is a new way to gain a provisional licence and in a way supersedes the previous arrangements for applicants from particular trades and certain countries.

they are about to start assessing skills and they still havnt sorted out what the provisonal licence entitles you to or weather or not its comparable or will replace the artc ??

Wendy Mar 6th 2008 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 6027541)
thanks for posting thats made the vetts route a bit clearer ;)

the only bit i`m worried about is

they are about to start assessing skills and they still havnt sorted out what the provisonal licence entitles you to or weather or not its comparable or will replace the artc ??

Seems that way doesn't it :blink:

Porter Mar 7th 2008 5:33 pm

Indeed,i think time will tell

jonsparx Mar 7th 2008 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 6027691)
Seems that way doesn't it :blink:

This is the most information ive seen about life after vetts since begining the process, nice work doc! Also nice to see we get a look at the practicle tasks, before they start throwing star/deltas at us all!