British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Advice on Vetassess practical (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/advice-vetassess-practical-851102/)

billywhizz82 Jan 20th 2015 9:46 am

Advice on Vetassess practical

Hi

I'm booked in to do my Vetassess practical exam in Melbourne in a couple of weeks. Anybody recently done the exam who can point me in the direction of what to expect?

I've read older posts where people have had to draw a wiring diagram for a DOL Starter wired to an emergency stop, then have to follow there drawing and connect it up. Safe isolate, disconnect and reconnect a tubular heater, etc.

But these posts are at least 6 months old, so the exam may have changed.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

old.sparkles Jan 21st 2015 7:08 am

Re: Advice on Vetassess practical

Originally Posted by billywhizz82 (Post 11538974)
Hi

I'm booked in to do my Vetassess practical exam in Melbourne in a couple of weeks. Anybody recently done the exam who can point me in the direction of what to expect?

I've read older posts where people have had to draw a wiring diagram for a DOL Starter wired to an emergency stop, then have to follow there drawing and connect it up. Safe isolate, disconnect and reconnect a tubular heater, etc.

But these posts are at least 6 months old, so the exam may have changed.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

I haven't heard of the exam changing. Apart from the DOL, there was a theory test on mine, some DC circuits, a small domestic installation following drawing given, transformer identification and test, and fault find the motor circuit after build.

Jamesrmag Feb 2nd 2015 10:18 pm

Hi billy... Just a question . How did your assessment go ? Iv booked mine for 13th march in Melbourne and if u could help me it would be great mate.

Wat all is on it and wat are the questions like ?

billywhizz82 Feb 3rd 2015 7:25 am

I've not done it yet, booked in next Friday to do it, Just been brushing up on formula's and remembering Safe Isolation off by heart.

dailly1888 Feb 3rd 2015 3:00 pm

hello billy I am in the same situation as yourself. me and my family are moving to Australia in October so will be booking my vessases soon I was wondering if you had to fill out the tra forms and have heard about having to go back to college to become a recognised electrician in Australia? I have been qualified since 2010 and have had my full apprenticeship before that I am wondering if it is necessary to go to college or is this a quick refreshers course on Australian regs or can I just sit my vessases straight away?
any help is appreciated thanks

old.sparkles Feb 3rd 2015 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by dailly1888 (Post 11554251)
hello billy I am in the same situation as yourself. me and my family are moving to Australia in October so will be booking my vessases soon I was wondering if you had to fill out the tra forms and have heard about having to go back to college to become a recognised electrician in Australia? I have been qualified since 2010 and have had my full apprenticeship before that I am wondering if it is necessary to go to college or is this a quick refreshers course on Australian regs or can I just sit my vessases straight away?
any help is appreciated thanks

If you are looking to move on a skilled visa, using your skills, you will need to apply to Vetassess, Future Skills or Vic Uni for a skills assessment. To do this you will also need to complete a tradeset report I think (did when I did mine)

You send the report, your qualifications, references, application and fee off, and if successful you will move onto the practical assessment.

If you pass all this you will get an OTSR which will enable you to get a supervised workers license in Australia, and be able to sign up to the gap training required by the state you are in.

This will involve extra training on Australian wiring rules, OH&S and rescue from live. You may have to keep a log book, do e-profiling (the same but online) or something similar - and you may need to sit more tests here.

Once you get the Cert III you can get a full license/

I wouldn't worry about being fully qualified since 2010 - some of us have been qualified a lot longer and still have to go back to being an apprentice almost until you get signed off.

Jamesrmag Feb 3rd 2015 7:57 pm

Kool mate I'll speck to you over the weeknd and see how you went . Good luck mate and hopefully you can help us out abit

Fredster Feb 5th 2015 12:11 pm

Hi Peolpe, I have received my practical dates from Vetassess. Going on the 3rd of March 2015. Quite excited but also nervous..hehehehe. I have received a PEES form to complete. Has anyone completed this form yet, what snags are there?

Jamesrmag Feb 13th 2015 3:28 am

Hi billy . How did the assessment go ? Any tips for us ? Wat all did they ask you in the exam ? Would be a great help . Cheers matey