Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Advice on starting as electrician and migrating to Aus

Advice on starting as electrician and migrating to Aus

Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on starting as electrician and migrating to Aus

Originally Posted by devs4858
hi wendy. my wife is a physio and will have no problems getting a visa for us. my decision is whether to train to be a spark here or get out there and do it?
or do a fast track here and get out there and build up my experience and get my licence out there after couple of years?

any help appreciated

I would say do your training here. If you do it in the UK you will need 7 years (that's including apprentiship and course) to be able to apply for an ARTC as an electrician (which you need to get a licence). If you do it here it's a 4 year apprentiship then you can apply for a licence.

So really that will save you 3 years.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:37 am
Just Joined

devs4858 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
I would say do your training here. If you do it in the UK you will need 7 years (that's including apprentiship and course) to be able to apply for an ARTC as an electrician (which you need to get a licence). If you do it here it's a 4 year apprentiship then you can apply for a licence.

So really that will save you 3 years.
is that right? thanks alot.

i did hear that the changes in the immigration law in sept 2007 states you only need a minimum of 24 months post qualification experience. do you know anything about that?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by devs4858
is that right? thanks alot.

i did hear that the changes in the immigration law in sept 2007 states you only need a minimum of 24 months post qualification experience. do you know anything about that?

As far as I know thats for the pre-migration assessment. The ARTC is totally different.

I could be wrong though as I haven't looked for quite a while, so check it all out for yourself. You'll find info here: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Getmeouttahere is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I wrote to Vetassass last week about the requirements for immigration. This was their response:

" In reply to your questions, you will need at least 2 years work experience in the trade for you to have the neccessary skill level to pass the practical assessment, your formal training may give you the knowlege to work in the trade however you will also need work experience to enable you to be a competent electrician, I would suggest you get as much work as you can in the industrial and commercial areas of the trade, the domestic installations work experience usually does not cover all of the competency units required.
I hope this will give you some help? if not please do not hesitate to contact me again."

They suggest 2 years in the trade I guess to cover most aspects. As we all know even sparkys 20 years down the line are still learning stuff.

I am thinking of training in Oz via the student route. Has anyone got any advise getting through to ther TAFEs. Emailing doesn't seem to get through to them. It's been over a week and no replies. Guess I'll have to wait up and phone. Maybe they are on holidays?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Getmeouttahere
Hi all,

I wrote to Vetassass last week about the requirements for immigration. This was their response:

" In reply to your questions, you will need at least 2 years work experience in the trade for you to have the neccessary skill level to pass the practical assessment, your formal training may give you the knowlege to work in the trade however you will also need work experience to enable you to be a competent electrician, I would suggest you get as much work as you can in the industrial and commercial areas of the trade, the domestic installations work experience usually does not cover all of the competency units required.
I hope this will give you some help? if not please do not hesitate to contact me again."

They suggest 2 years in the trade I guess to cover most aspects. As we all know even sparkys 20 years down the line are still learning stuff.

I am thinking of training in Oz via the student route. Has anyone got any advise getting through to ther TAFEs. Emailing doesn't seem to get through to them. It's been over a week and no replies. Guess I'll have to wait up and phone. Maybe they are on holidays?
hello sorry to hijack

but am i right in thinking that when i qualify in september after 4 years of training this means i can apply to emigrate straight away? and will it help that my mother brother and sister have lived there since 1994?

any help on this would be great as i've been wanting to get back for about 6 years now.

thanks jonny
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi all,

Yep, it's the summer break just now. I think they go back in the next few weeks though, so hang in there.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Getmeouttahere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonnyd
hello sorry to hijack

but am i right in thinking that when i qualify in september after 4 years of training this means i can apply to emigrate straight away? and will it help that my mother brother and sister have lived there since 1994?

any help on this would be great as i've been wanting to get back for about 6 years now.

thanks jonny
Yes I guess so + 2 years work experience

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yep, it's the summer break just now. I think they go back in the next few weeks though, so hang in there.
Cheers Wendy I think they might return this week!

Btw this forum is very good I've learnt so much from it already, and a great community
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers Wendy I think they might return this week!

Btw this forum is very good I've learnt so much from it already, and a great community
I know the kids do, not sure about the Uni's