British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Advice on starting as electrician and migrating to Aus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/advice-starting-electrician-migrating-aus-506142/)

Getmeouttahere Jan 14th 2008 3:26 pm

Advice on starting as electrician and migrating to Aus

G'day folks!

Wish I found this site a few months back. Brilliant advice and friendly people.
I'm 35 years old and currently own a building/landscaping business for 2 years, but have no qualifcations in that area. I have always had an interest in electrics and have always wanted to qualify in this trade so I can expand my business etc. even if I wasn't interested in migrating to Aus

My history. I grew up in Australia with migrating parents and have had 2 permanent residents visas believe it or not. Being young and naive I let them expire at the grand old age of 22. Silly me :frown:

My questions are:

Time is on my side so I can bide my time on this. If I went back to college and qualified as an electrician eg fast track. I hear there are some good fast track courses out there and some real scams but I have 2 good colleges I have in mind. Fast track is really the only option. If not it means sitting in the local college for the next 2 years with school leavers. I don't mind paying money to do the course either so I can get in to work faster.
Which qualifications would be necessary to pass my Vettasses test?
I assuming I would have to start from the beginning eg 2330 ii&iii and NVQ level 3?

I'm also aware that I would need at least 24 months work experience in the trade in the U.K before applying to migrate to Aus.

I'm also aware that legislations in migrating to Aus have changed a lot for a general electriction since Sept 2007 making it easier in reducing work experience required to 24 months instead of 6-7 years.

Would I need part P and the whole works?

Please can you advise. Many thanks in advance :thumbup:

docgp Jan 14th 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Advice on starting as electrician and migrating to Aus

i was always under the impression you need the experience of six - seven years, to qualify for migrating. steve o and wendy are the best to talk to (pm them) im sure they wont mind.

as for part p, this is only a british thing. you will need this in the uk but i believe everything is different over in australia. even fully qualified sparks have to retrain once they get there

look on threads on here to find out more, here are a few links to help you out though

#
http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a

http://www.energysafety.wa.gov.au/en...y/default.html

good luck with everything, let me know how you get on :D

Getmeouttahere Jan 14th 2008 8:15 pm

Hi docgp ;)

Thanks for reply and advice. At first I was also under the impression it was 6-7 years experience. I have been on the phone for the last couple of days to a few migration agents. According to them they all say the same thing, which is since the change of legislation in Sept 2007 you are now only required to have a minimum of 24 months work experience. I hope this is right :lightbulb:

Thanks for links too I'm just having a read though right now.

If you go to your link http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a

Scroll down to Evidence > Work Experience:

It says: For applicants who have not completed any formal training you must provide documentary evidence that you have been employed in your trade area for a minimum of two years. This is a mandatory requirement. Applicants who do not have formal training qualifications or have not been employed for a minimum of two years will not be able to progress to the practical skills assessment.

Cross fingers :)

Ill keep you posted

Wendy Jan 14th 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Getmeouttahere (Post 5787266)
Hi docgp ;)

Thanks for reply and advice. At first I was also under the impression it was 6-7 years experience. I have been on the phone for the last couple of days to a few migration agents. According to them they all say the same thing, which is since the change of legislation in Sept 2007 you are now only required to have a minimum of 24 months work experience. I hope this is right :lightbulb:

Thanks for links too I'm just having a read though right now.

If you go to your link http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a

Scroll down to Evidence > Work Experience:

It says: For applicants who have not completed any formal training you must provide documentary evidence that you have been employed in your trade area for a minimum of two years. This is a mandatory requirement. Applicants who do not have formal training qualifications or have not been employed for a minimum of two years will not be able to progress to the practical skills assessment.

Cross fingers :)

Ill keep you posted

I'm under the impression that it has changed too, although I'm no real expert and would definitely recommend you to verify it. Maybe e-mail Vetassess? :)

Getmeouttahere Jan 14th 2008 11:04 pm

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for advise! I do hope too it has changed :) I will email them first thing tomorrow. That is a brill idea. Going back to my original questions? Would I need to get 2330 C&Gs NVQ3? or maybe just 2391?

I can ask them that tomorrow. Ill keep you posted :thumbup:

Wendy Jan 14th 2008 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Getmeouttahere (Post 5788145)
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for advise! I do hope too it has changed :) I will email them first thing tomorrow. That is a brill idea. Going back to my original questions? Would I need to get 2330 C&Gs NVQ3? or maybe just 2391?

I'm a little out of touch with UK qualifications, my OH has a City and Guilds part 236 1 & 2, anything after that I really don't know anything about. :D

Getmeouttahere Jan 14th 2008 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5788191)
I'm a little out of touch with UK qualifications, my OH has a City and Guilds part 236 1 & 2, anything after that I really don't know anything about. :D

Oh thats good! I think the 236 has now been replaced with the 2330. This means I'm on the right track. :thumbsup:

As far as Vetassess is concerned I think it will able to be applied for online :D

Thanks for advise so far!

steve`o Jan 15th 2008 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Getmeouttahere (Post 5788145)
Hi Wendy,

the 2391 is the cut down version of the 2400 ( just the testing section without the design element ) and a requiremnt for NIC enrolement
i wouldnt bother with this as you need to be doing a 236a &b or its modern equivilant

regards steve

Getmeouttahere Jan 15th 2008 10:35 am

Hi Steve,

Good advice all round. Well it looks like I'm on the right track and a long road ahead, but hey Rome wasn't built in a day! Starting 2330 course this week (236) I should be NVQ 3 qualified this year touch wood :)

Just emailing Vetassess now aswell just to get everything prepared for the future.

Thanks for your replies.

I will keep you informed of my progress :thumbup:

noggin Jan 19th 2008 11:07 am

just a piece of advice mate...im a spark workin in perth..landed here with a suitcase full of qualifications4month ago...and they aint worth jack shit,as the aussies say!!...ps hi wendy;)

steve`o Jan 19th 2008 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by noggin (Post 5809628)
just a piece of advice mate...im a spark workin in perth..landed here with a suitcase full of qualifications4month ago...and they aint worth jack shit,as the aussies say!!...ps hi wendy;)

yes they are
they got you in didnt they ??

Wendy Jan 19th 2008 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by noggin (Post 5809628)

Hello :D

Hows it all going up in Perth?

noggin Jan 20th 2008 3:15 am

hi wendy...really well thanx...all the hard work pays off in the end, luving it....i c yr still keeping the sparks on the rite road,,,god im glad i dont have to go through that again!!...oh and by the way.happy new year and THANX AGAIN...listen to this lady guys...shes good;)

Wendy Jan 20th 2008 5:07 am

Originally Posted by noggin (Post 5812465)
hi wendy...really well thanx...all the hard work pays off in the end, luving it....i c yr still keeping the sparks on the rite road,,,god im glad i dont have to go through that again!!...oh and by the way.happy new year and THANX AGAIN...listen to this lady guys...shes good;)

Ah, that's good to hear.

Yep, I'm still trying my best to point people in the right direction, it's very daunting when you have to go through it yourself and as Asda say 'every little helps' :D

devs4858 Jan 28th 2008 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5812694)
Ah, that's good to hear.

Yep, I'm still trying my best to point people in the right direction, it's very daunting when you have to go through it yourself and as Asda say 'every little helps' :D

hi wendy. my wife is a physio and will have no problems getting a visa for us. my decision is whether to train to be a spark here or get out there and do it?
or do a fast track here and get out there and build up my experience and get my licence out there after couple of years?

any help appreciated