British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Advice on getting started in QLD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/advice-getting-started-qld-510082/)

sparkey77 Jan 29th 2008 4:39 pm

Advice on getting started in QLD

Hi, hopefully you guys will be able to help me as I'm finding information hard to come by, I'm currently living in the UK working as a sparky I have my sub class 136 visa & been designated as a general electrician ( 4311-11 ) by the TRA and will be heading to QLD hopefully Noosa in the next 4 months, whats next? Do I need a licence if I work for a company or just if self employed or both, how much can I organize from the UK. Any other information or advise you give would be appreciated.

burkelj Jan 29th 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Advice on getting started in QLD

Sparkey 77
I too am planning to go to QLD in the next few months. Possibly Gympie.
I have applied for my ARTC from the UK and am lucky to have a friend in QLD to have it sent to (if I get it!).
From what I have seen you would struggle getting work without a licence. You can get employed on a lower rate but your work needs to be checked before switch on. Effectively your employer is doing the same job twice.
To get a licence you can either, in QLD go through effectively a 12 month 'apprenticeship' doing on the job projects etc, I assume similar to an NVQ over here or.....
Go to Peer in Adelaide and sit an exam on wiring regs (like the IEE 16th (soon to be 17th) edition) get that, then get a licence in South Oz then transfer in QLD. You will need a blue card and resuss too - 1/2 day courses to get your licence.
I plan to do the peer course via 'open learning' over here then go to Peer a few days/weeks after arriving and sit the exam. Possibly getting the licence on the same trip.

All of the above is based on what I think I understand from previous posts on this site not least from Steve' O and Wendy.

I hope I am right in what I have put..... Good Luck!

Luke

steve`o Jan 29th 2008 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by sparkey77 (Post 5854359)
Hi, hopefully you guys will be able to help me as I'm finding information hard to come by, I'm currently living in the UK working as a sparky I have my sub class 136 visa & been designated as a general electrician ( 4311-11 ) by the TRA and will be heading to QLD hopefully Noosa in the next 4 months, whats next? Do I need a licence if I work for a company or just if self employed or both, how much can I organize from the UK. Any other information or advise you give would be appreciated.

as you havnt mentioned the artc i`ll assume you dont have one so the first step is to apply from the uk using a mates address in australia ( they wont send it overseas )
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

if you do a quick search under artc in this forum there`s loads of info

now armed with the artc and you cpr cert ( a day course at st johns or aus red cross ) you can do one of the following
quickist apply to peer.com and ask when thenext corse is running this ussually takes about three weeks but you have to go to south aus to do the course

next quickist
you`ll need to apply to the qld electrical safty office for a licence
( they will issue permit to train ) then apply to qet.com for there correspondance course in qld ( brisbane ) work through the books
fill in a log book ( of the work your doing ) and go and sit the 1 day exam half theory half practicle

longest you`ll need to apply to the qld electrical safty office for a licence
( they will issue permit to train ) then apply to tafe ( tech college )
the course is 7 months but only runs early feb to august so if you arrive at the wrong time you wait till next feb

if you need any further info just ask

regards steve

sparkey77 Jan 30th 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I went to the Peers web site and the course I need says coming soon so thats finished that for the moment. Can I do the recuss course in the UK? I've just read another chaps thread saying he's been declined a artc based on he had'nt completed a formal apprenticship or training, have you found this to be common, I ask as I have 14 years experience and C & G 236 part 1 but no more, I gained my knowledge from on the job training.
One other question do you know the time scale from getting your visa's stamped to having to be in Australia full time? the company I'm dealing with say I should not be out of the country for more than 12 months. Sorry for all the questions but you chaps have been more helpful already than the company that I've paid thousands to.

Chris Ball Jan 30th 2008 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by sparkey77 (Post 5859437)
Thanks for the info guys, I went to the Peers web site and the course I need says coming soon so thats finished that for the moment. Can I do the recuss course in the UK? I've just read another chaps thread saying he's been declined a artc based on he had'nt completed a formal apprenticship or training, have you found this to be common, I ask as I have 14 years experience and C & G 236 part 1 but no more, I gained my knowledge from on the job training.
One other question do you know the time scale from getting your visa's stamped to having to be in Australia full time? the company I'm dealing with say I should not be out of the country for more than 12 months. Sorry for all the questions but you chaps have been more helpful already than the company that I've paid thousands to.

If you had to have a medical for your visa the time you have to activate your visa in oz is 12 Months from the date your medical was done.

steve`o Jan 30th 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by sparkey77 (Post 5859437)

cpr has to be an aussie one ( they are anal over this i`m a qualifed rescue diver and they wouldnt accept this as it was achieved inthe uk ) so wait till you get here pay your 80 bucks and do the course -- if youve managed to prove general electrician for you tra you should be able to do the same for your artc, just remember that the artc is checked by an aussie tradesperson not a paper pusher, you need to decribe in detail the work you do from start to finish just like you were explaining it to a first year apprentice ;)

make sure you cover all the points of a trades persons as decribed in the au immigration website

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...tc+application

see post 2

hope this helps

regards steve

sparkey77 Feb 1st 2008 2:29 pm

Thanks for all your help

r1c1 Feb 1st 2008 9:06 pm

Hi.

Sorry for jumping in but i'm really confused.

Is ARTC different from new vetasses course? I'm still in UK and heading to Queensland in next 3-4 months. I read somewhere that I had to sit exam in Uk to gain licence. Can I still go down ARTC route or is it Veta now.

Sorry. I know i should be searching for all info myself but due to work and kids i don't get much time on PC and when i do my brain gets frazzeled after 10 mins reading posts.

Thanks

Steve.

steve`o Feb 1st 2008 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by r1c1 (Post 5871336)
Hi.

Sorry for jumping in but i'm really confused.

Is ARTC different from new vetasses course? I'm still in UK and heading to Queensland in next 3-4 months. I read somewhere that I had to sit exam in Uk to gain licence. Can I still go down ARTC route or is it Veta now.

Sorry. I know i should be searching for all info myself but due to work and kids i don't get much time on PC and when i do my brain gets frazzeled after 10 mins reading posts.

Thanks

Steve.

no probs steve

lets start at the start

where are you up to at the moment ??
have you already done an tra application or are you a complete newbie ??

r1c1 Feb 1st 2008 9:50 pm

Hi Steve.

Done TRA for Visa purposes and got Visa.

ARTC forms arrived and ready to be filled in.

Steve.

steve`o Feb 1st 2008 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by r1c1 (Post 5871509)
Hi Steve.

Done TRA for Visa purposes and got Visa.

ARTC forms arrived and ready to be filled in.

Steve.

hava a look at post 2
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...tc+application

;)

Wendy Feb 2nd 2008 3:02 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 5871882)

Steve, is it OK to put the link to that post in the sticky at the top.? :)

steve`o Feb 2nd 2008 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5872312)
Steve, is it OK to put the link to that post in the sticky at the top.? :)

if i say you can stick where you want what would you say :rofl:

Wendy Feb 2nd 2008 6:35 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 5872595)
if i say you can stick where you want what would you say :rofl:

I'd say 'thank you master' :rofl:

r1c1 Feb 2nd 2008 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 5871368)
no probs steve

lets start at the start

where are you up to at the moment ??
have you already done an tra application or are you a complete newbie ??

Thanks for info Steve.

I'm looking into it all now. ( Head still hurts. Ha Ha)

Is Vetasses different to ARTC?

Don't want to bug you too much but you and Wendy seem to know your stuff.

It's a scary prospect moving to other side of world with 2 kids and no idea of what to expect. You seem to have made it work.

I owe you a few beers when we get out.

Steve.