Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

25yr old spark need advice on the move to Aus

25yr old spark need advice on the move to Aus

Old Jan 19th 2013, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

nspark1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 25yr old spark need advice on the move to Aus

Hi all,

Its my first post, so please go easy.

Completed my city&guilds apprenticeship around 4 years ago.

Been thinking of travelling to aus for x amount of months to see how i find it. If i like it, then i'll apply for a working visa and then see what happens.

You read so many different views on what it takes/needs to work as a spark in Aus.

I wouldnt mind working as a trade assistant while things are in process, and also i feel you'll get an understanding of what it takes to spark in Aus without putting too much pressure on yourself.

Could some explain to me what the actual process is from getting in as a TA to becoming a spark.

Heres a few other questions that would be really handy to have answered....

How hard are the exams in Aus to get your license?

Cost from TA to spark?

Time it takes from TA to Spark?

Difficulty in finding work in WA/Sydney?

Is the standard of sparking higher in Aus than England?

Is it hard to survive on a TA's wage?

Any other pointers would be great.

Many thanks
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice
Default Re: 25yr old spark need advice on the move to Aus

Hello,

I think you're being a bit over-cautious. As some Aussie sparks would say, 'Just get it done, c***!'. Why not just get your WHV straight away? They're easy enough to get and not expensive. The easiest state to work in on a WHV is NSW, as you can work as an unlicensed electrician. In theory, you'll be supervised by licensed sparks, just show your JIB card. However, they are going to bring in a national license eventually and that loop hole will almost certainly close. But for now, as far as I'm aware, it's still open.

Other states, it's not so straight forward and rules seem to be changing from week to week. Previously in WA, you could apply for an ARTC from the UK, fly over to Perth on your WHV and then sit the 2 week license course and get your A grade. From what I've read on here, that's no longer possible. New arrivals now have to get a provisional license and do a log book for 12 months. Maybe contact Energy Safety and ask for advice. You'd get work as a TA easy enough, though, and some companies might let you do more if they know you're a spark.

My advice: Get a WHV, go to Sydney, find some work. If you like it and think you'd like to move here permanently contact DIAC and VETASSESS. As for your other questions:

Originally Posted by nspark1

How hard are the exams in Aus to get your license? Not too bad, just a case of remembering the stuff you completely forgot from your college days

Cost from TA to spark? Not really sure what you mean here

Time it takes from TA to Spark? Ditto

Difficulty in finding work in WA/Sydney? Plenty in WA, not sure about Sydney

Is the standard of sparking higher in Aus than England? No!!!!

Is it hard to survive on a TA's wage? No, they're paid well
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to travel on a holiday visa. Then if i like Aus, i'll apply for a WHV if that is actually possible. As i would want to work for the whole year and not waste it by travelling and not working.

Its the big plunge of giving up full time employment here.

From reading the threads, it seems pretty hard to get a job out in Aus. I was under the impression it was quite easy.

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

Should be easy enough to get a WHV once you were here on a tourist visa. You might possibly have to fly out and back in again, but that's no big deal.

I didn't have any trouble getting work as a spark in Sydney when I was on a WHV. And there's plenty of work in WA at the moment. Just go for it, you only live once.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the positive reply.

You read other threads and they're constantly putting it down (english sparks coming over).

Apparently its true that theres not as much work as people actually think.

It seems so hard to become a Grade A spark now in Aus, with the logbook etc.

With coming on a WHV to spark, wouldnt it take so many months to actually get going with the paperwork process. As i was hoping to try and get my grade A license while on a WHV.

Any other advice you could give.

Are you a English spark with a grade A license now?

Thanks again

Last edited by nspark1; Jan 21st 2013 at 7:04 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

You can still do a 1 week course in WA if you have an ARTC for now, although its meant to change soon but you cant apply for the ARTC until you arrive and reside in Australia. Its only those of use with PR who done vettassess who have to do the long route. Only in oz!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

You would think it would be easier for people who have PR.

I wont be going until late this year or early next, so i guess by the time i go, it would have changed.

Ive been bored with my life in England for 3 years now. Only thing that keeps me here is my employment. Been with them since i left school and i just think if i go and it doesn't work out, then im going down the same route as other sparks. Agencies etc (awful). You get a 2 week job and then your let go. Its very hard to get back into my company.

Over the last few years though I've started to believe in "you only live once".

Is it that hard to make it over there as a spark?

I've always thought, "i would love to go and make it my home in Aus". Then i think surely thats just a stretch too far, but then you read on the forums that it is possible.

Thanks

Last edited by nspark1; Jan 22nd 2013 at 5:48 pm.