Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

24 year old confused british sparkie

24 year old confused british sparkie

Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 24 year old confused british sparkie

Originally Posted by jonnyd
can i start the peer thing from this end i've got an address is brisbane
Hi jonny, you only need the aussie address for the ARTC. PEER are willing to send you a correspondence course in the UK. You must do the workbook they send you. Not sure if they send all the books you need to do it . It's worth calling PEER direct as by all accounts they are very helpful and friendly. Check out Wendy's sticky thread on 'ARTC and licencing' at the top of the Electricians thread. Some of the websites are outdated but there's still some very useful info contained in it including some on PEER. Regards Derren
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JoeyLowtown
You mention you've been working as a spark on a WHV for over a year, how have you managed this given the WHV is a one year visa? Did you do the 3mth specified work thingy to have a second year granted......if so, what type of specified work did you have to do? Are you planning to stay longer, had any joy trying to find sponsorship for a 457? Cheers dude
Yeah I worked a as a spark for 3 months in a small town 300km's from Perth to get a second year visa. I'm planning to stay longer but would be prefer to get state sponsorship rather than be tied to one company.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:14 am
Just Joined

JoeyLowtown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agillick
Yeah I worked a as a spark for 3 months in a small town 300km's from Perth to get a second year visa. I'm planning to stay longer but would be prefer to get state sponsorship rather than be tied to one company.
Ah thats cool, all useful info, thankyou very much! Has it proved a problem finding employment, given that you can only work for the same employer for a 6mth period? How you going about applying for state sponsorship? Does sponsorship mean they pay any money toward your incurred costs?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:31 am
Just Joined

JoeyLowtown is an unknown quantity at this point

is it a 475 visa? You hoping on staying in Oz for good, or just playing it all by ear? Would you seriously recommend doing it all, pros outweigh the cons etc?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

With sponsorship the company will generally pay most of the costs providing you stay with them for a period of time. If you leave within this time they may ask you to reimburse them. The pros definitely outweigh the cons so I'd highly recommend it. If you don't do it you will probably regret it. If you do it and don't like well at least you've tried!