Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Younger Expat club?

Younger Expat club?

Old May 18th 2009, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Location: Bouncing between Manama Bahrain and Kissonerga, Paphos
ArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really nice
Default Re: Younger Expat club?

Hi! If you PM me I will send you my number and we can arrange to meet up when you get here. New members always welcome.

Susan.
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

tiggertj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Susan...

I'm having problems "PM" you..... any suggestions on what to do ??

Hope all is well with you.

Tracey
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiggertj
Hi Susan...

Tracey
You cant use the pm system until you have made 4 meaningful posts
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

ArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really nice

Originally Posted by tiggertj
Hi Susan...

Tracey
Hi Tracey,

You have to post 4 times before you can PM, i'm know it's a nuisance but put up another three topics this week, I'm away to Bahran until Friday anyway. Anyone fancies a pint Friday night, I'm definitely up for it!!!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

tiggertj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Susan

Thanks for your message... I'll send a few more posts !!! Not joining you until the 26th, so have a little time left.
Hope all well with you, speak soon

Tracey
Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

So anyone up for a few drinks this weekend?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:45 am
Just Joined

rikandmegan is an unknown quantity at this point

I've managed to blag eight weeks leave starting first week in October so I'll be coming over on my own, the wife can't get as much leave but will join me in week six.

I've booked the flights, but is it still easy to walk in and rent an apartment? It was 20 years ago but have times changed?

The plan is for me to land, book in a Hotel for a day or two and then rent a furnished place.

If we like what we see then our 'most of the year' move will be late 2010.

Any idea of the typical cost of renting a house with pool in the Paphos area for a year?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rikandmegan
I've managed to blag eight weeks leave starting first week in October so I'll be coming over on my own, the wife can't get as much leave but will join me in week six.

I've booked the flights, but is it still easy to walk in and rent an apartment? It was 20 years ago but have times changed?

The plan is for me to land, book in a Hotel for a day or two and then rent a furnished place.

If we like what we see then our 'most of the year' move will be late 2010.

Any idea of the typical cost of renting a house with pool in the Paphos area for a year?
What size of house? A three bedroom fully furnished villa will cost approx. between 800 - 1400 pcm euro depending on the size and location. Have a look on www.paphosfinder.com.cy to get an idea. There are a lot of rentals available just now so you should be able to get one quickly and don't be afraid to negotiate a lower price and better furniture. When we were looking we made a new flat screen TV and light fittings part of the deal as the existing TV was tiny and there were no light fittings at all, just bare bulbs sticking out of the ceiling with no where to attach lamp shades. If you are going through an agent, then get them to do the negotiations for you. PM me if you want some agents numbers.

It's a good idea to book viewings with a few different agents, tell them exactly what you want and that you want to see more than one property when you are with them. We had to stipulate that we only wanted to see houses that were completely finished and ready to move into and not on a bouilding site. We still got taken to half fiished buildings but that only happened twice before they got the message.

Don't be fooled by promises of,"it'll be finished in a couple of days." If it's not ready to move into today, it can stay that way. Oh and fully furnished here means the very bare essentials. Check that there is decent bed linen, crockery, pots and pans, etc. We moved in without looking at the details and had to fight to get some towels and matching plates. The plates when we moved in were old, chipped odds and sods and there were no towels or linen. As it is we still spent a lot on extra towels, linen, crockery, knives, pots and pans, kettle, glasses, blender.... oh the list goes on.

I've heard a few stories of people renting from the UK and getting here only to find the landlord has rented to someone else despite having paid a deposit. If you're here already, you'll see what you're getting first hand and be able to move in right away.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

carolegan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ArranLass
Hi, We've been in Cyprus for about 6 months and we're loving it but it's taking time to meet people closer to our age. I'm 38 and my fiancees 43. We've joined a couple of clubs and people have been very kind and generally, very old. No offence to the older generation but we'd like to make some friends our own age. Is there a club or anything aimed at working aged people?

Himself works abroad and is away a couple of months at a time so if anyone else is in the same boat maybe be could start something up?

Thanks.
Hi I am 39 and My Husband 43 we have 3 kids 13,12 and 6 and we are movng to Peyia on the 11th Aug. I would love to hear if you did find a younger social club . we went along to the expat one on the way between coral bay and paphos when we were over in May but although the people were lovely they were all over 55 and bingo and sunday lunch seemed to be their main focus. It would be great to make some new friends and to socailise with people in the same age bracket ,maybe even with kids etc ... I am new on here so I cant get a private message off you yet but I will read with interest any info you can post
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

rikandmegan is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be 55 when I get there in October, trust me, I don't do bingo although I am good at backgammon; but once you start beating the locals they get the hump and stop playing with you

I'm still into the outdoors, love the hills and mountains and am looking forward to spending time up in the Trudos Mountains, any climbing clubs in the area? Also, are there any rifle clubs and clay pidgeon shooting clubs near Paphos? I'd also like to try a little sailing, not done that in many years.

Your as old as you feel, when I lived there 20 years back there were a lot of 'old' people, not old in body, but old in mindset, such a waste of your life really.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Hey! I was invited to a rifle club in Pissouri but never took it up. I'm sure there are shooting clubs in the area. My partner is back on Friday. Give me a shout by PM and we could have a get together with the others who want to get out and enjoy the island!