Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Young Couple Hoping To Make The Big Move.

Young Couple Hoping To Make The Big Move.

Old Apr 7th 2018, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

jacobsmummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young Couple Hoping To Make The Big Move.

Hi everyone, new here.
My fiance and myself are looking to make the move to Cyprus. Preferably around the Paralimni area. At the minute we have a son who is 2 in June. We would like to arrive over, both get jobs and work to give our little boy the best possible life we can. We will be looking into renting first to adjust to life and get our bearings about us before looking into buying any property. Can somebody on here that has moved with young children please give and indication on nursery's, schools, applying for year round jobs (we have no qualified skill requirements). Whos able to give us a much needed helping hand? All help appreciated.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Couple Hoping To Make The Big Move.

No skills ? What will you do ?
Old Apr 11th 2018, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

cymart is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly you are right....unskilled jobs here pay low wages and cost of living is relatively high-also Paralimni tourist season is from April until November with most places shut in winter that are connected with the holiday trade.Best advise-come here for a few weeks holiday if you can and see how the situation is regarding work offers before you make the move!
Old Apr 12th 2018, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

cymart is an unknown quantity at this point

Further to what I wrote yesterday,after living here nearly forty years and knowing the island very well, the situation with finding work is that unskilled jobs are usually done by people from either Eastern European countries or third world nationals because they accept far lower wages than any local person would!I know of hotel employees from places such as Slovakia and Bulgaria, for example, who work here in the season for around 400 euros per MONTH in exchange for a bed in a room with several other people and meals at work etc!
The cost of living for essentials is relatively high and petrol nearly the same as in the U.K.
Remember that this is half of an island and there are still many well-qualified young Cypriots with degrees who are under employed or unemployed since the 2013 economic downturn and understandably they get preference when it comes to good jobs.
Cyprus can be a great place to live and enjoy the lifestyle, but like so many other places,it all depends on your wallet!Since we joined the E.U. in 2004 I have seen so many people come here with big expectations and then be forced to leave again once reality sets in...so don't end up going down that road-come for a few weeks break here and find out for yourselves what the work situation is and if it will be viable before you make that move!All the best.